PDA

View Full Version : Possible switch to FI for RS5????

Joker
December 29th, 2010, 22:21
Dec 29, 2010

by: George Achorn, renders by authorRecently our friends over at Car & Driver published a story suggesting a new RS 4 wasn’t to be. Contacts of ours years ago confirmed an RS 4 sedan would have never been in the cards anyway as the 4-door buyer was predominantly also the RS 5 buyer. Still, our information about a RS 4 Avant was from a reliable source and, since I have no doubt C&D’s Jens Meiners is also well (and likely more recently) informed, this has gotten me thinking why the RS 4 may have been axed… at least for now.

Why? It can’t be for lack of sales. Audi is having a banner year, though it is true that the RS 5 hasn’t been all that well received by the press… at least in the all-important compare articles. I remember the first time a highly placed source at Audi AG told me about the RS 5 project with its high-rev V8 from the RS 4 bumped 30 hp with an extra intake. The move seemed lackluster and I, along with seemingly the rest of the motoring press, dreamed of something more radical.

Rumor stories around the press during this time prior to the RS 5’s launch still suggested it might get the V10 biturbo from the RS 6. “It can’t be done,” said my source. “It simply wouldn’t fit.”

Normally well-connected and very in-the-know CAR Magazine held to the belief that the car would be some turbocharged V8.

Then, a few months later, my source told me about the 4.0T. This new V8 biturbo would be an interesting prospect. With everything nestled inside the V as seen on similar engines from BMW, I was told the engine (at this time still prior to the RS 5) would not go into the RS 5 but instead debut in the A8. Turns out the only official confirmation thus far about 4.0T is as a base engine for the Bentley Continental GT, though solid intel from multiple sources suggests it’ll also see duty in the A8, S8, S6, S7, RS 7 and, if there is one, an RS 6.

Fast forward a couple of years. The RS 5 is launched. Though beautiful to look at and a very comfortable GT, the car still lags behind competitors such as the BMW M3 or Nissan GT-R in the eyes of the motoring press. Yes it’s good but the question is whether it is good enough to warrant such a pricing premium.

We had a chance to drive Audi of America’s RS 5 around for a few hours last summer near Audi headquarters in the Washington suburbs of Herndon, Virginia. Naturally we decided to do a few roll-on comparisons with our own 4 Season S4 and the results were pretty astonishing. The RS 5 looked, sounded and felt faster but it just couldn’t pull on the S4 in side-by-side roll-ons. That a 3.0T S5 coupe is expected to go on sale alongside the RS 5 won’t help matters.

When we received first word of the RS 5’s confirmation for North America we were astonished to hear it would not arrive here until the summer of 2012 as a 2013 model. The reason, we’re told, is that it doesn’t pay to federalize the car twice. The logic goes that rather than doing it for 2010 or 2011 and then ending the run in 2012, Audi chose to wait and space it after the launch of next year’s TT RS. This makes sense, but given the current car isn’t faring all that well in comparison testing, I can’t imagine the car’s showing will be any stronger in the summer of 2012.

Thinking this through, a theory began to form in my head round about last spring. Could Audi AG be planning a switch to the 4.0T. Might this be the reason Audi of America chose to wait so long? That would make a lot of sense but getting any confirmation of this has been impossible.

When my German contact mentioned the 4.0T initially I brought up the RS 5. “That car engine would be perfect for the car,” I stated to him. This was prior to the RS 5 even being shown and he simply responded that it would get the high-rev 4.2.

Now that the RS 5 is available in the European market, I revisited the subject with a high-placed contact in North America who would know. He flatly discounted the idea. “There’s no way we’d make such a big change mid-cycle as part of the p.i. (product improvement).”

He’d be right, if Audi were planning a facelift like we saw on the TT or the C6 A6.

Chatting about the A5, another German contact on the design side said the redesign (for the A5) will be pretty significant. “Think B6 to B7,” I was told.

“Nearly every panel (on the outside” will be redesigned.

Interesting. When the A4 moved from B6 to B7, it also had a major change in engine offerings with the exception of the S4.

I mentioned my 4.0T theory to another contact at Audi who claimed he wasn’t informed on the plan was for the B8 cars but quite likely was aware given his field of work. “It’s an interesting theory,” he stated and continued.

“Think about it. Mercedes-Benz developed that 6.3 for AMG and it’s been installing it in pretty much everything. It’s a solid strategy that saves quite a bit on development. If Audi did develop this 4.0T, it might make a lot of sense to put it in every performance car it could.”

And therein is the logic. My best guess is that the 4.0T is being developed in multiple tunes. I hear it may go into A8 as en engine option above 3.0T once the 4.2 is phased out and it is the expected engine planned for the S6, S7, RS 7 and S8. Lower states of tune will likely slot in above the 3.0T and a middle or highest states of tune would see duty in cars like the S and RS cars as well as the aforementioned Bentley. By the time the 2013 RS 5 comes to market, likely the only remaining 4.2 in the Audi fleet will be the R8 and perhaps that car may even switch over when a successor is revealed. The 4.0T will already be on the market by then, finally introduced in the A8 as my German contact first suggested several years ago. You see where I’m going here.

CAR Magazine may have been correct stating the RS 5 would be a turbocharged V8. They may have simply been too far ahead of the news curve.

I believe the RS 5 will migrate to the 4.0T. It is important to disclose that all the facts I know in regards to this have been included in this story. No one at Audi has suggested this will happen but logic suggests it might and there’s a big part of my heart that hopes it will. I don’t’ see a reason why the RS 5 would not retain the 7-speed S-tronic transmission and torque-vectoring all-wheel drive.

The performance potential of such a car is hard to deny. My guess is that the press would be more than smitten with this setup, while the aftermarket would be foaming at the mouth.

As for the RS 4 Avant, we aren’t counting that one out. The RS 4 went on hiatus once before during the B6 generation. Audi could have easily gone with the generation skip as it has before in order to build demand for its ultimate performance wagon and also to give the first-generation RS 5 a foot hold in the market. Car & Driver’s intel may be entirely correct, but that doesn’t exactly spell the RS 4’s ultimate demise. To the contrary, if my theory is correct then the RS 4 Avant will be much more the car the Audi enthusiast market is looking for. I’d be willing to bet we still won’t get it in the US though.

Source: http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publi...cle_6506.shtml

Interesting notion if true.

But the part got me going was where he said the S4 able to kept up with the RS5. :vhmmm:

RXBG
December 30th, 2010, 13:32
there is a first time for everything. audi is really busy expanding and adding new product offereings. it makes sense that they would do a B6 to B7 type of change with the current A5 line in 2012 rather than waiting 3 more years before a full-on B7 to B8 type of change. i know it is absurd to sell the RS5 so late in the game alongside an S5 with 3.0T that is almost as quick in 2012. i too have been told that the 4.0T went back to the drawing board for a mini makeover prior to launch in the A8. if AMG can put out updated models within on platform generation (E55/E63) why can't Quattro? with a 500 hp 4.0T the RS5 would cost less than the new GTR and be an audi- which car would be the real bargain then?

Joker
December 30th, 2010, 13:49
there is a first time for everything. audi is really busy expanding and adding new product offereings. it makes sense that they would do a B6 to B7 type of change with the current A5 line in 2012 rather than waiting 3 more years before a full-on B7 to B8 type of change. i know it is absurd to sell the RS5 so late in the game alongside an S5 with 3.0T that is almost as quick in 2012. i too have been told that the 4.0T went back to the drawing board for a mini makeover prior to launch in the A8. if AMG can put out updated models within on platform generation (E55/E63) why can't Quattro? with a 500 hp 4.0T the RS5 would cost less than the new GTR and be an audi- which car would be the real bargain then?

True, but is it known whether the 4.0T fits under the bonnet of the A4/5? Though I do like the way you are thinking, 500hp and the same amount of torque would be just what the doctor ordered to see off the M3 and C63, though I doubt even that would be enough to take on the mighty GTR.

Qisha
December 30th, 2010, 16:01
Dear Friends,

reporting back from Christmas vacation- hopefully everyone had a good time! :cheers:

There is a simple answer for this question... but it would bring the thread to a early end. Dont know if this is in everyones interest... :vhmmm:

Qisha

Joker
December 30th, 2010, 16:11
Dear Friends,

reporting back from Christmas vacation- hopefully everyone had a good time! :cheers:

There is a simple answer for this question... but it would bring the thread to a early end. Dont know if this is in everyones interest... :vhmmm:

Qisha

Thanks Qisha but you have answered this indirectly anyhow, so no 4.0T for the RS5 or RS4 this time round and probably not at all because it's only intended for the larger Audis.

Though you could answer the other question of whether the RS4 has been given the go ahead or not.

Joker
December 30th, 2010, 19:46
Qisha, can you explain if possible why so many rumours continue to link the RS4 with the 4.0T?

LittleDevil
December 30th, 2010, 23:47
Another question for Qisha.

Is that RS5 mule or why they install RS5 bumper on it? :)

http://www.audiblog.nl/?p=41321

And I really hope that stye will be better than that photoshop.

http://www.audiblog.nl/wp-content/Audi-RS5-2013-4.0TFSI.jpg

darkop
December 31st, 2010, 03:00
Another question for Qisha.

Is that RS5 mule or why they install RS5 bumper on it? :)

http://www.audiblog.nl/?p=41321

And I really hope that stye will be better than that photoshop.

http://www.audiblog.nl/wp-content/Audi-RS5-2013-4.0TFSI.jpg

I can see this easily being a part of a next year's Product Update package. Same as FL TTS got similar bumpers to TTRS.

Joker
December 31st, 2010, 17:24
The white S5 convertible you see in the link posted by LittleDevil is probably a testmule RS5 convertible, after all why would they need to upgrade the S5 with such an aggressive bumper design, like it's not demanding extra air input all of a sudden.

darkop
December 31st, 2010, 17:34
It's called New Design Language implementation across the range! The car in the picture could be either but my point is that this will make into new bumper for next year's S5, coupe or convertible...
Wait and see... ;)

Joker
January 1st, 2011, 14:10
I disliked the changes made to the TTS, too much chrome detailing on the nose for my liking.

youry
January 1st, 2011, 17:08
I summarize:

No way new engine in RS4 AVANT. and yes facelfit A5 but with very limited impact on RS5... that is for me the reality and no rumors. most of this is actually coming from qisha in several messages he has said...

darkop
January 1st, 2011, 17:21
I summarize:

No way new engine in RS4 AVANT. and yes facelfit A5 but with very limited impact on RS5... that is for me the reality and no rumors. most of this is actually coming from qisha in several messages he has said...

Exactly... And it's not that I need a further proof, but for all ''skeptical'' others - one more confirmation: Audi NoA just announced introduction of the RS5 in 2011! No way they would switch to another engine in such short notice or even worse after just a year of a run over there with current engine.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=479351246469&set=a.101113351469.101662.96585976469

Happy New Year!

youry
January 1st, 2011, 18:50
can agree more.... go to have confirmation that it will sold in usa in 2011...