PDA

View Full Version : Group buy on custom inexpensive brakes?

peiserg
December 28th, 2010, 19:57
Guys..I've got the custom front rotors from the group buy in. 2008. Just put my 2nd set of rings on the car, making my rotor cost about $180 for a new set of front rotors. Unfortunately, I only bought 2 sets, and this was the 2nd. Anyone else out there want to go on on purchase purchase of new rings to drive down price? Sure as he'll beats $500 rotors!!

Brav
December 29th, 2010, 23:07
I'm in.. what source are you talking about?

JSRS6
December 30th, 2010, 00:02
If i already had the hats, maybe...

peiserg
January 3rd, 2011, 15:05
Coleman racing made us both. I've still got the box the whole setup came in. I ordered one extra pair of rings with it... and am glad i did that now..

I kept one of the used rings so i could pull info off of it as needed. I've got an email into Jimmy from rs6.com (he's not very active, but does answer his emails) about it.

Brav
January 3rd, 2011, 17:18
Sounds good, let us know

covertw12
January 3rd, 2011, 18:37
I'd be interested in a complete setup - what was the weight savings ? I assume the inner hats are Alum ? any pics of them....

Thanks !

E

as350
January 3rd, 2011, 21:07
I'd be interested in a complete setup as well if the price is right. A picture or two would be great.

peiserg
January 4th, 2011, 20:23
ok fellow beasties.

Just off the phone with Coleman racing. They are able to find the original order, complete with specs, from my original box. suhweet!!!

New rings are $190 each, so $380 for new brake rotors each change. The "hat" is $270 (this is a one time, per side deal... you only replace the ring when changing brakes.)
It's pretty much a "break even" the first brake job. All the savings accrue to future brake jobs.

I recall it was cheaper, that was due to the volume of the order.. i think we ordered 20 rings, and 15 pairs of "hats." I'm sure labor (love those unions!) and raw material is pricier as well.
I'm going to go ahead with an order for a single set of rings for myself. If others want on board, let me know, I will coordinate. I'm hoping with enough volume they will drp the price a bit.

covertw12
January 4th, 2011, 23:34
so 650 for a complete set ? weight savings ? pics ? Are they slotted, drilled or both ?

thanks for doing the legwork !

JSRS6
January 4th, 2011, 23:40
Look to be more like 920. Unless 270 is for both hats.

ben916
January 5th, 2011, 00:04
Look to be more like 920. Unless 270 is for both hats.

And then FREEZE them...

peiserg
January 6th, 2011, 02:41
for a full front set, looks like $270x2 and 190x2. the 190 includes slotting. you can have no slots if you want to cheap out and save $16, and you can add cross drilling if you want to pay an extra $15.

$540 + $380 =$920 for the first brake job, plus pads. The additional brake jobs would cost you $380 plus pads, which is about what i just paid. Compared with about $900 plus pads every time for oem... no thanks.

I doubt there is a weight savings. Don't know tho. I don't have OEM's to measure anymore. On top of that, my aftermarkets are already installed, so i can't weigh them. Performance seems on par with oem. I've done many 150mph braking situations with the aftermarkets.

As for pics, i don't have any. just rest assured they fit just fine. about 12-13 people here bought into them, and now save about $500-$600 per brake job in rotor cost.

If no one else wants in, that's fine by me. less legwork. If everyone wants in, fine by me as well. happy to help.

hahnmgh63
January 7th, 2011, 04:57
With all of this talk of rotors I came across this save favorite from early last year. Here is the link, JHM brake rotors have a good reputation, some guys here on the list may have purchased them.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/310486-JHM-2-piece-Lightweight-Front-Rotors-for-C5-RS6-(365mm-x-34mm).-COMING-SOON!
There math is off slightly though, the stock rotors (front), I'm pretty sure are 26# each and not 27.5# so the savings is 5# per rotor and not 6.5# per rotor.

Brav
January 7th, 2011, 07:35
stock RS6 rotors are 27.5 lbs. i just checked this today, when some guy told me Phaeton rotors (that I can get for $100) would work for the RS6.. (they wont, after looking at the specs).

coco
April 23rd, 2012, 12:10
ok fellow beasties.

Just off the phone with Coleman racing. They are able to find the original order, complete with specs, from my original box. suhweet!!!

New rings are $190 each, so $380 for new brake rotors each change. The "hat" is $270 (this is a one time, per side deal... you only replace the ring when changing brakes.)
It's pretty much a "break even" the first brake job. All the savings accrue to future brake jobs.

I recall it was cheaper, that was due to the volume of the order.. i think we ordered 20 rings, and 15 pairs of "hats." I'm sure labor (love those unions!) and raw material is pricier as well.
I'm going to go ahead with an order for a single set of rings for myself. If others want on board, let me know, I will coordinate. I'm hoping with enough volume they will drp the price a bit.

I just read this thread after spending somany hours on the web trying to find good deals on brake discs.
I'm so interested in this Coleman racing deal (I know the original deal was more than a year ago, but someone still interested in this deal?).
But I live in Japan and not sure if they can ship overseas to Japan.
Please let me know if you can provide me some information on this matter.
I may be able to find other people interested in this deal in Japan.

Thanks,