PDA

View Full Version : RS6 C7 V8 or V10

Thom_RS6
December 28th, 2010, 16:24
hi new rs6 c7 get v10 twin turbo or back v8 twin turbo ?

Erik
December 28th, 2010, 16:48
I would guess V8 TT.

Benman
December 28th, 2010, 22:37
I would prefer V8 TT... weight. :)

V8weight
December 29th, 2010, 00:30
I would prefer V8 TT... weight. :)
I like the idea of V8 weight.

Benman
December 29th, 2010, 00:34
Don't get me wrong, a V10 sure sounds sexy, but let's face it, back when Champion Audi raced the MkI RS 6 in the States, they had that 4.2L motor reliably producing just short of 700hp and toned the power down (@550) for the tranny (RS 4 sourced) so a TT V8 will NOT be a limiting factor. Also, per WSCGT rules, they could not rebuild the dang thing after every race (put in place to "reduce" costs). Again, the 4.2L was not the limiting issue. I doubt a TT 4.0L will be either. :thumb:

Ben :addict:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/04q3/scca_speed_world_challenge_grand_touring_class-feature/champion_racing_audi_rs_6_page_4

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/1983-Champion-Racing-RS6

Fonzie Audi
December 29th, 2010, 00:55
if (when) they come out with a new V8 TT RS6.. i'll be one of the first to pre-order. What year are we talkin here? US bound?

ben916
December 29th, 2010, 02:48
Don't get me wrong, a V10 sure sounds sexy, but let's face it, back when Champion Audi raced the MkI RS 6 in the States, they had that 4.2L motor reliably producing just short of 700hp and toned the power down (@550) for the tranny (RS 4 sourced) so a TT V8 will NOT be a limiting factor. Also, per WSCGT rules, they could not rebuild the dang thing after every race (put in place to "reduce" costs). Again, the 4.2L was not the limiting issue. I doubt a TT 4.0L will be either. :thumb:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/04q3/scca_speed_world_challenge_grand_touring_class-feature/champion_racing_audi_rs_6_page_4

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/1983-Champion-Racing-RS6

OK, first off THANKS BENMAN for the link to the SWCGT!!!! I watched that series alot but never placed that the RS6 was THAT car!!!! Makes sense now...

The only issue I thought was of concern was the engine placement/weight distribution??? Not to mention the Trans/TQ/DRC...

Benman
December 29th, 2010, 04:09
Don't mention it. Those were very good memories and RS 6 owners were treated like dang royalty at those races, cool times.

Yep, those were our Beasts in action. Of course they used several "tricks" to make them race worthy, but the basis was there. I know the link I have for Car and Driver shows a S4 trans, but it was really the MkI RS 4, I know cause we had the chance to speak to the race engineers in person. It was also confirmed by Robin St. Claire, aka Nordschleife who does not frequent these forums any more. Another trick was placing that V8 TT @ 4 inches further back for much improved weight distribution. However, that is something that can be done with the street cars as well, provided you have big pockets and don't mind cramped leg room. ;) And as for the 3200lbs, don't let that fool you. In reality, Champion Audi got those pigs all the way down to @ 2700lbs! the rest was "rewards" weight that the vehicles were awarded for their AWD along with win "penalties". Also, they had wider tracks (and got crazy wide the following year with more weight penalties to offset the track increase).

So yes, the platform was actually capable of some really stupidly fast lap times. And seeing them in person... wow, the only cars on the track that sounded better at the time were the Vipers. Well, that was until the next year when the Caddy CTS V Series showed up, DAMN those things sounded good! Again, sorry for the OT, but Champion PROVED what the RS 6 with a TT V8 could really do, so I have seen first hand that the V8 TT was never the limiting factor on our Beasts. I know I'm kinda against posting pics of my family on the web, but I really should find that one of the wifey with Pobst and Galati. :thumb:

Benman
December 29th, 2010, 04:17
Fonzie, it is unknown at this time is the US will even get a shot at the upcoming RS 6. I know a lot of us were bummed the last one never reached our shores so who knows? Also, it is only my preference for a V8, it could very well be a V10. I am just hoping for the V8 since any reduction in weight up front is a great thing. :thumb:

V8weight
December 29th, 2010, 04:32
Ben, I was browsing the archives awhile back and found a thread where you and (your uncle?) had purchased one of the Champion S4's. What ever happened with this car, do you still have it?

AndyBG
December 29th, 2010, 05:07
Does this mean that both S6 and RS 6will have same 4.0 T engine...?

Benman
December 29th, 2010, 06:56
Ben, I was browsing the archives awhile back and found a thread where you and (your uncle?) had purchased one of the Champion S4's. What ever happened with this car, do you still have it? Sadly, no. Was just not in the budget to regularly race that sweet, sweet, sweet car (can you tell I miss her :cry: ). But it went to a GREAT home up north in Eastern Canada and is currently kicking ass in it's division up there (we keep in touch with her new owner [amateur racer like us]).

Back OT, Andy, that would be my guess. Again, that's assuming it even gets the V8. :cheers:

Ben

RXBG
December 29th, 2010, 13:40
Does this mean that both S6 and RS 6will have same 4.0 T engine...?

i strongly suspect that the V8T coming up will come in at least two versions and maybe even three. i also have "heard" that audi actually went back to the drawing board as it has been earmarked to debut in the new A8, but given the outstanding efficiency of porsche's V8, the new AMG V8, and the BMW's new V8 they went back to the drawing board to "update" its specs. It should debut in 2011. And i hear it'll offer from 400 to potentially more than 550 hp. how they will do this i don't know- maybe offer it with one T and two TT's. the new V8 is going to be all over the place from the S6 to maybe even the new R8. since the gallardo replacement is due in about a year whetever engine that car gets will tell us what the R8 will have.

the V10 is a phenomenal engine but with emmissions and fuel efficiency guidelines and weight cutting developments that are coming it may not be necessary except as a statement piece, the same way the new LP700-4 engine is. i don't think we'll see 10 or 12 cyl cars from now on unless they are in "top end" exotics- LP700, Enzo replacement, etc... the V10TT is capable of 900 hp.

Benman
December 29th, 2010, 18:09
the V10 is a phenomenal engine but with emmissions and fuel efficiency guidelines and weight cutting developments that are coming it may not be necessary except as a statement piece, the same way the new LP700-4 engine is. i don't think we'll see 10 or 12 cyl cars from now on unless they are in "top end" exotics- LP700, Enzo replacement, etc... the V10TT is capable of 900 hp.

Very true! Look what STaSIS did with R8 V10. 700hp with STOCK internals WITH a 5 year warranty! These engines have tremendous capabilities! And we already know what the V8 can do.

I agree with RXBG that there will be (again, assuming it gets the V8) different versions of the V8 for the different cars. No different than the C5 S6 to the C5 RS 6. Or the C6 S6 to the C6 RS 6. Maybe NA for the next S6 and TT for the RS 6? Or maybe RXBG has the right idea where it will be T for the S6 but TT for the RS 6? Fun to speculate. ;)

Myrtlebeach
December 29th, 2010, 18:51
Indeed fun to speculate, anyone else speculated that this TTV8 might have both compressor and turbos? Just a feeling I got since the T-marking not necessarily indicates turbo-charging after the new S4. After the 1,4 tsi (with both compressor and turbo, "Twincharger", 170 hp) which won "engine of the year award" four years in a row, we've not seen another engine with the twin charger system, although very successful. Qisha made some insinuations about this after the BMW V8 turbo was launched I think. Qisha, we're awaiting your comments.....:hey:

RXBG
December 29th, 2010, 19:44
if the "T" means twincharged this will be engine of the year for years to come. and the possibilities would be endless (550 hp and 40 mpg). too good to be true.

johnnie27
December 29th, 2010, 21:47
i strongly suspect that the V8T coming up will come in at least two versions and maybe even three. i also have "heard" that audi actually went back to the drawing board as it has been earmarked to debut in the new A8, but given the outstanding efficiency of porsche's V8, the new AMG V8, and the BMW's new V8 they went back to the drawing board to "update" its specs. It should debut in 2011. And i hear it'll offer from 400 to potentially more than 550 hp. how they will do this i don't know- maybe offer it with one T and two TT's. the new V8 is going to be all over the place from the S6 to maybe even the new R8. since the gallardo replacement is due in about a year whetever engine that car gets will tell us what the R8 will have.

yeah there are ssome serious motors comming out hey..new M3 is to be a turbo SIX rated at 450bhp) the new TT AMG motors 410KW 800Nm...man what all this stuff will do when its modded..its just a same that down here those cars start at $160K ..wouldn't another turbo-d ferarri model be something to see on the down-change alla F40 more flame than a F-16!!

Benman
December 30th, 2010, 00:34
if the "T" means twincharged this will be engine of the year for years to come. and the possibilities would be endless (550 hp and 40 mpg). too good to be true.
Yes, that WOULD be too good to be true, and I'd be first in line! :cheers:

Ben

Thom_RS6
December 30th, 2010, 05:16
maybe 4.0 tfsi 600 hp ?