PDA

View Full Version : Audi makes biggest investment ever...!

AndyBG
December 27th, 2010, 20:15
Don't know if this is a re-post, but it is a big news...

http://www.worldcarfans.com/110122730191/audi-makes-biggest-investment-ever-and-adds-1200-new-jobs

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2010/12/audi-to-invest-116-billion-in-new.html

Joker
December 29th, 2010, 15:02
I ready this a few days ago and it does explain how Audi can make such claims of so many new models and market growth expected by 2015. VW have big plans for Audi is seems and puts to rest the worries that Audi would be a second thought after acquiring Porsche.

Benman
December 29th, 2010, 18:28
VW have big plans for Audi is seems and puts to rest the worries that Audi would be a second thought after acquiring Porsche. Amen to that! It is interesting to see how much they will be investing in Hybrid as opposed to the hydrogen that BMW seems to be doing. Now, just get those hybrid diesels on the road. Now that is a win, win. :cheers:

Ben

Joker
December 29th, 2010, 19:42
Amen to that! It is interesting to see how much they will be investing in Hybrid as opposed to the hydrogen that BMW seems to be doing. Now, just get those hybrid diesels on the road. Now that is a win, win. :cheers:

Ben

I don't see a future with normal Hybrid technology maybe Audi know something I don't, highly likely. :brag: But hydrogen is something that does make perfect sense in my eyes, after seeing the Honda on TopGear this technology seem so logical if they could obviously make enough hydrogen of course. I think my problem with battery power is the recharge time and the lifespan of the batteries, never mind what you do with them when they are done. :vhmmm:

Benman
December 30th, 2010, 00:43
I hear you but similar arguments against hybrids (energy consumption) is used against hydrogen too. A bunch of energy is used in the conversion process. Also, what they don't tell the consumer (in those types of shows) IS THE REPAIR COSTS!!!

For example, even with NGV, which is WAY cheaper than hydrogen tanks, it is $10K for a TANK (including installation) for a 01' CIVIC!!! More, after 15 years, it is LAW that the tank be CHANGED OUT!!! Guess what that means? Automatic TOTAL! Now imagine the MUCH more expensive tanks for hydrogen. You are correct, this technology makes sense, but NOT when repair is factored in.

By the same token, a complete install for a 99' Insight battery tank is $3200.00, again, installed.

Diesel hybrid (emphasis on diesel) is IMHO where it is at. But this is my opinion and I am automotive repair biased. :cheers:

Ben

Joker
December 30th, 2010, 09:24
That is incredible, $10k in the US for a replacement tank. Over here it's approx £2k as far as I am aware to get a LPG tank installed but haven't a clue as to what a replacement would cost.

I do know that a dear friend of my father worked for a local gas supplier and had one fitted to his car, the performance didn't suffer all that much in normal driving and the overall savings were sizable.

Benman
December 30th, 2010, 14:44
The crazy cost might just be a US thing, on that I'm not sure. I just know I was interested in NGV till i found that out. ;)
:cheers:

Ben

Benman
December 30th, 2010, 14:44
The crazy cost might just be a US thing, on that I'm not sure. I just know I was interested in NGV till i found that out. ;)

Ben

Joker
December 30th, 2010, 16:07

Ben

Europe might have imbraced the whole LPG thing probably more so than America, well that's a guess I suppose but I do know that Volvo use to even sell some of their new car already installed with LPG though I am unaware if this is still common practice.

I reckon the whole reasoning why Europe is ahead on all things economical compared to America is the cost of fuel in comparison, here diesels are commonplace and probably account for 60% possibly more of total new car sales that is increasing year on year. How hybrids will affect diesel sales longterm is something that no one could give an actual answer but when you look at mpg of diesel cars versus hybrid versions the agrument for hybrid is extremely weak in my opinion unless I am missing something, though you are quite right in thinking the answer isn't matching up hybrids with petrol engines but with diesels, the best of both worlds. Why almost all the companies are only doing petrol/hybrid versions is beyond me.

Benman
December 31st, 2010, 20:59
How hybrids will affect diesel sales longterm is something that no one could give an actual answer but when you look at mpg of diesel cars versus hybrid versions the agrument for hybrid is extremely weak in my opinion unless I am missing something, though you are quite right in thinking the answer isn't matching up hybrids with petrol engines but with diesels, the best of both worlds. Why almost all the companies are only doing petrol/hybrid versions is beyond me.

I agree, I've never understood why petrol hybrids are so popular. I am counting the days till diesel hybrids take off. Hopefully Audi will take the lead! :cheers:

Ben