PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Picking up RS6 today

Alan
September 25th, 2003, 19:03
:) Hello - Brand new poster and soon-to- be-owner (either later today or first thing tomorrow!). The M. Blue RS-6 (nav., carbon and enhanced exhaust) will join my other baby, a 2002 C4S. The test drive in the RS6 was a shock, and I made the decision on-the-spot to trade in a 2month old A4 3.0 for the RS6. Wife is thrilled (not, as you can imagine), but I sure am. How has the RS6 been, as far as reliability?

Alan
September 25th, 2003, 19:13
Guys at audiworld.com suggested that I ask this question here-

The car I am buying had a steering wheel vibration at around 50 mph. I told the salesman that I could not accept the car with a vibration. They are repairing it before I pick it up. Has this been a problem with the RS6 - according to those on audiworld it is an endemic problem on A6's with no solution and no help from AoA. What's your experience?

Erik
September 25th, 2003, 19:30
Congrats on your new car and welcome here!
Never heard of any vibrations, except "goooood vibrations." :)
I agree they should not be tolerated. However high performance tires can sometimes need recalibration.

iconcls
September 25th, 2003, 19:36
Originally posted by Alan
The car I am buying had a steering wheel vibration at around 50 mph. I told the salesman that I could not accept the car with a vibration. They are repairing it before I pick it up. Has this been a problem with the RS6 - according to those on audiworld it is an endemic problem on A6's with no solution and no help from AoA. What's your experience?

Some owners have had a vibration issue in their A6's that have proved to be really stubborn to get rid of; I had it on my 2.7T that took a good Hunter balancing to eliminate. Some it took new tie rods others new shafts, etc. Others (very few) no matter what the dealer tries, cannot seem to eliminate the vibration. It seems, in general, that the A6 is just more sensitive to a multitude of balance issues. I have yet to hear any RS 6 owner complain of this ailment. That being said, DO NOT ACCEPT THE CAR IF IT EXHIBITS THIS BEHAVIOR, just to be on the safe side. It can be a really easy fix or a nightmare. Let us know the outcome.

BTW, ignore Vibrating 4.2 on AW he's a case.

Bauer
September 25th, 2003, 23:20
Alan,

Welcome aboard!!!!! I hope you enjoy the RS6 as much as I have, 3000 miles and loving it even more.:incar:

As for reliabilty, only having 3k on my car, I can't really speak about extended history, although I have had no problems with mine ( as I would hope with a 90k new car). Also, I have seen very few posts about problems except for an electrical problem that caused one car to stop running after a hard right turn. AoA replaced the car right away(apperently they know its a problem on some cars).

The vibrating thing I have not felt at all...smooth as glass.

I have owned many Audi's and this car is the KING of them all, hands down.:king:

Enjoy your car!!!!!!

GoFastKindaGuy
September 25th, 2003, 23:39
With 2,000 miles, I have had a problem with the mass air flow sensors. The car runs rough - feels like three or four holes are not firing - but calms down upon warm-up. Still misses under hard accelleration. Check engine light stays on with a "long term fuel trim" code. Sensors were replaced today, but the problem remains. I am confident (or at least hopeful) that this will get sorted out. Dealer service has been very responsive.

Also, had an electrical short between the temp gage and the water temp sensor. Rewiring fixed it.

No vibration in wheel or tires.

Still love this amazing car, but I am getting nervous.:rolleyes:

TheBrit
September 26th, 2003, 00:13
Hi,

I'm probably the first with a vibrating RS 6, but I had a vibrating S8 before that and a vibrating A6 2.7t before that, and a non-vibrating A4 2.8 before that!

My vibration started after a tyre swapout, so it's most likely bad balancing, if not I'll just keep on at the dealer until it's fixed, even if that means swapping the whole car piece by piece!

Vibration or not, I love my RS 6 and have 10 months and 20,000 miles under it's wheels.

Chris.

Alan
September 26th, 2003, 00:55
They spun the tires and found that indeed they had flat spotted. With new tires on wheels, the car runs as smooth as glass. Picking it up tomorrow at 10AM. I'm really excited! I drove the car after the wheel swap for about 1/2 hour and I am amazed at it's performance and handling composure. I expected it in my C4S, but in the RS6 I keep looking at that cavernous back seat and wonder how such a big car can be so good.

Bauer
September 26th, 2003, 01:37
Alan,

I am glad to hear they figured out the problem. Sounds like you are already enjoying your car as I would suspect. Please as customary, reviews and pics :cheers:

Speedracer
September 26th, 2003, 03:21
Alan—
How about showing that new car off on the Northeast Meet. It's a great chance to put those much-needed miles on the car. Check out the thread.
Speedracer

Benman
September 26th, 2003, 04:02
Alan,

welcome and congrats on your new Beast. Glad to hear they figured it out as mines been smooth as glass as well.:cheers:

Ben:addict:

Finnus
September 26th, 2003, 12:43
Alan,

Congratulations and welcome to Rs6.com! Glad to hear the vibration thing was sorted out.

I've had my RS6 for 2 1/2 months and 4,000 miles & only good news to report. This is hands down the best car I've ever been in/driven, not just for performance, but for build quality, etc.

Like Speed said, why don't you plan on coming to the NE fall meet Sunday, October 5th, meeting in Lee Mass late morning?

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1906

Finnus
:cheers:
:addict: :addict: :addict:

btumble
September 26th, 2003, 18:18
Alan - congrats and welcome from a fellow Bergen county resident. Glad to hear your problem was easily solved. Now you face the problem of where in Bergen can you actually drive your car :p. What dealer did you use?

Enjoy the car! Maybe I'll see you on the road - Daytona gray with black interior.

btumble

RS6FEVR
September 26th, 2003, 22:11
:cheers: Alan

Ahhh, what a wonderful day it will be!!! Remember it clearly after that incredible anticipatory wait. If it goes the way mine has, the only consternation you'll have is how g#d dam* long it's taking to get my xm chip and maybe how hard it it to get comfortable with a good seat position!!! :confused: :confused: Sheesh, you'd think that the chip people were being bowled over with orders?? Anyhow, mine has 3100 on her now and I couldn't be happier. It's such a pleasure to drive and be so stealthy (and, yes, I'm a fanatic about clean so I love to keep her shiny) in the world of special cars. Had her up to 140 and she's flat as a pancake. Inspires nothing but confidence. No vibration, electrical, mechanical issues at all (knock on wood and hope that MAF and electrical thing doesn't repeat GoFast) and I'm really getting to like my Dunlop 9000's.
Look forward to the recap of pick up experience and photo's as available.
:addict: FEVR :addict:

k2
September 29th, 2003, 17:49
Alan,

Congrats ... just picked up my Black on Black (loaded ... pics to come). I have 120 miles and this car beats everything before her ('01-2.7T, '02-S6, '02- 996 Turbo and '03-M3 cab ... the prozac doesn't help). Ok ... maybe the 911 still holds a soft spot in my heart :rolleyes: I believe I have a flat spot in one of my wheels or maybe a pitted rotor. I have a noticeable thwaping sound coming from my right front under aggressive stopping. 20+ year Audi tech said he wanted to see it. Thought maybe I should drive it out, but he said NO. I hate to even think about taking her in so early ... but you don't mess around with braking issues. Before I take her in ... she's gonna get a full detail ... stripped, clay bar, 2x AIO, 3x Sealant, 5x Carnuba. The dealer thought I was nuts ... I told him "if you touch that car (detail that car) I won't accept it". He was so embarrased he kept it off the lot. :p It was pretty dirty, but the last thing you want is the dealer giving you a plastic brush detailing before you pick it up (especially on a black car). Anyway ... looking forward to more posts in the future.

k2

Bauer
September 29th, 2003, 18:18
k2,

Welcome aboard, you have the same color combo I do. I have to get the thing washed every 5 days just about but I love the color.

Erik
September 29th, 2003, 18:26
We want to see pictures...

Don't forget this thread, a must for all :D

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1863