PDA

View Full Version : doh! replaced pads, now brake light on..

peiserg
December 27th, 2010, 14:12
Guys,

just replaced my front and rear pades with EBC reds, and also did the front rings on my custom rotors. I've had the same rotors for 30k miles, and all i do i unbolt the used ring and bolt in a new one to the "hat" portion of the rotor.

Now i've got a "low brake" light on... NOT the abs light.

This was done at a local shop, not the audi guys. thoughts? low brake fluid? sensor not clipped in?
gerry

MaxRS6
December 27th, 2010, 14:31
Hopefully just a sensor or fluid issue.

When my Alcons were installed, I had it done at a local (oof) brake shop. After they installed the Alcons, I kept getting the low brake light. The pads did not have sensors. Went through several iterations (grounding the wires, loopback, etc, etc) and finally determined the brake shop had managed to short my instrument display. Finally after several months I had the display changed and the light went away and all is good again. Hopefully, your issue will not be the display.

JSRS6
December 27th, 2010, 16:01
Most likely low fluid. I actually need to top mine off, as I get the same thing rarely when I brake really hard due to fluid movement in the reservoir.

V8weight
December 27th, 2010, 16:03
Is it the brake pad symbol (O) or the word "BRAKE" spelled out?

JSRS6
December 27th, 2010, 16:05
Good call Pat. If it's the brake symbol in the display, it's not fluid. If your brake(spelled out) light comes on or flashes and goes off, it's the fluid.

peiserg
December 29th, 2010, 04:09
took it back. turned out to be a sensor wire was pinched.

hahnmgh63
December 29th, 2010, 04:15
Sensor was my guess as the fluid in the resevoir goes up when you push the pistons in so it should be higher unless it was siphoned off.

aussie rs6
October 8th, 2011, 14:21
just now the (O) brake symbol coming up on display and staying on with current brake pads that have been Ok for last 2,000 kms.

No deterioration or change in brake performance observed.

Any suggestions from fellow forum members as to what might be causing this appreciated.

johnk

puke:

JSRS6
October 8th, 2011, 15:23
How long have you had those pads on? Take a look at the connection and wires to the front pads. You probably won't feel a difference in performance right after the wires are broken in the front pads due to wear. But that's why they are there. To save your rotors from gouging.

aussie rs6
October 10th, 2011, 19:18
Many thanks for your advice JSRS6.

Sensor pad wires are broken. No visible damage to rotors. I assume that sensor wire resistance drops to zero as earths out on rotor when worn down.

Time to replace pads. Scheduled for Grizz's kit of C6 front rotors to run with C5 calipers plus phaeton brake scoop kit. Ferodo DS2500 pads going in.

johnk