PDA

View Full Version : Input on possible purchase - ex-Owner getting back into a beast

jazmonster
December 21st, 2010, 22:59
Hi Guys,

Long time no post. I'm looking at 60k mile car. Higher than I would like, but then again, I want to stay at $30k or less (Paid nearly $60k the first time). The car in question is loaded with goodies that I would get for free, essentially. The big question is: is a 60k mile car (in excellent condition) with a 6/60 warranty (still 5 years remaining) worth $30k?

Car is revo flashed ECU (not TCU, though) has nearly $6k wheels (HRE's), radar/laser jammer beautifully installed, all the aluminum has been blacked out, and it has an over the top stereo ($3k).

Personally, I'd prefer different mods (ideally: exhaust, ECU/TCU and RNS-E... if you know of anyone?). I always wanted to chip my last beast, and wanted to do the wheels. I'm thinking I could swap the wheels out to something more discreet for almost even $$.

Anyone care to weigh in? Certainly would be appreciated. :hahahehe:

MaxRS6
December 21st, 2010, 23:59
It sounds good to me if all service records available. If you pm Ben (Ben916) the Vin he might be able to provide some additional feedback. The car will go a lot of miles if maintained properly.

ben916
December 22nd, 2010, 00:01
PM me...

no need to look it up, I already know who owns it

DHall1
December 22nd, 2010, 00:40
Good luck with it.

Ben has seen the car before the current guy got it.

Another member was flying down to look at it.

Revo is ok but we have not seen any owners step up with data logs. MTM TCU chip is needed and only 125 so no big deal.

A clean socal car with 60k should still look fantastic and not show its age if well kept. That warranty is $$$$ right now. Buy the car if its clean. Our E55 has 60k and you could not tell it from 20k.

jazmonster
December 22nd, 2010, 00:52
Oh and another thing - while I am at it: Has anyone else ever noticed that some people's Nappa interior gets very soft (loses some of the firmness). I suspect too much conditioning, and I suppose it is better than cracking -- but my old car had nice, stiff seats... and this car I looked at had soft, sofa-like seats. It was as if the seats had been totally sat out, but it was uniform - all four seats?

ben916
December 22nd, 2010, 02:48
Are you referring to this local black/black car with the 20" HRE Revo-ed car?
I have only seen the driver's seat warn and somewhat soft.
I use Lexal(R) on mine and it seems to do what it states.

DHall1
December 22nd, 2010, 04:44
May just be the age of the leather with exposure to sun. Actually that is most likely the situation. My car is from socal but it was always garaged and never driven daily to be left out in the parking lot. The seats are all still firm.

Oh and another thing - while I am at it: Has anyone else ever noticed that some people's Nappa interior gets very soft (loses some of the firmness). I suspect too much conditioning, and I suppose it is better than cracking -- but my old car had nice, stiff seats... and this car I looked at had soft, sofa-like seats. It was as if the seats had been totally sat out, but it was uniform - all four seats?

jazmonster
December 22nd, 2010, 04:48
Yeah, I am doubting the sun thing... as my old RS6 was in Vegas, and stayed stiff. If you look through all the RS's for sale, you can actually see the difference in some cars photos - where the back seats, even the door inserts, are slack... a bit wavy. It's as if a once stiff leather, has become a supple leather (like the Porsche supple finish). My guess is that some of these cars - in an effort to keep them perfect - were over nourished (if there is such a thing).

I dunno... maybe I'm crazy.

DHall1
December 22nd, 2010, 05:22
I put conditioner on my leather. 2x/yr

Maybe its the products that are being used? You think the people are soaking down the door inserts as well?

You got me thinking. I will look at my seats tomorrow. Maybe.

Yeah, I am doubting the sun thing... as my old RS6 was in Vegas, and stayed stiff. If you look through all the RS's for sale, you can actually see the difference in some cars photos - where the back seats, even the door inserts, are slack... a bit wavy. It's as if a once stiff leather, has become a supple leather (like the Porsche supple finish). My guess is that some of these cars - in an effort to keep them perfect - were over nourished (if there is such a thing).

ben916
December 22nd, 2010, 06:20

I have wavey leather on my door inserts - bugs me a little....

Jimmy
December 22nd, 2010, 12:54
I have wavey leather on my door inserts - bugs me a little....

Me too ! ....the Silver leather?

Its the different lots of leather at assembly. I know with Mercedes there are several different vendors of the same color (code) lots.... I suspect its the same with VW/Audi and BMW to some extent as well. My Rs6 next to my bud's with the same color has a markedly different feeling and hue to it. It could be sun-tanning but I doubt it (on these local cars). And this black leathered Rs6 that was just sold locally that I drove had a more stiff and what I thought was much thicker leather seats....it was that noticeable.

I'm on the fence to whether I take a chance on the match if I buy the driver's seat covers (mine has normal bolster wear at 90K) ..or buy both driver's and passenger covers to match (to be happy with the end result).

jazmonster
December 23rd, 2010, 01:43
The guy sold the car! I called to arrange a showing in the daytime, and he said - sorry, sold it for $32k ($2k over list?). Weird... because we had a standing appointment to meet tomorrow, and he didn't even call to say someone was getting close.

Must not have been the right car!

ben916
December 23rd, 2010, 06:03
The guy sold the car! I called to arrange a showing in the daytime, and he said - sorry, sold it for $32k ($2k over list?). Weird... because we had a standing appointment to meet tomorrow, and he didn't even call to say someone was getting close.

Must not have been the right car!

Did you put $$$$$ down? Either way I would not be a happy camper... :(
Have you looked at the one in Encinitas? Private sale, Daytona, 60k miles.

Also, wasn't it listed for $35,999???