PDA

View Full Version : help

Kenny
December 21st, 2010, 02:22
Listen i have a 2003 RS6 i think it needs a timing belt and stuff what i need to know is how much i shoul dhave to pay for it to be fixed also wondering about brakes now do i have to use the exact brakes that came with the car or can i not use the cross drilled rotors? and go with soemthing a bit cheaper to maintain

PALETTE
December 21st, 2010, 02:27
You will find everyone on here very helpful.

Enjoy the car.

Kenny
December 21st, 2010, 02:33
I LOVE THE CAR .. I DID NOT HOWEVER THINK IT WOULD COST SO MUCH TO MAINTAIN lol it has 60k miles it over heats at interstate speeds i think it needs a timing belt ? how much sgould that cost me to repair?

ttboost
December 21st, 2010, 02:40
It's a big job that will take an experienced person the better part of a day, if not longer. Dealer might charge upwards of $3000? You can't expect a limited edition factory hotrod, to be a maintenance free, especially with a one of a kind drivetrain...I'm sure there are others that can confirm the timing belt estimate. Search is your friend...

JSRS6
December 21st, 2010, 02:41
Welcome! What's your location? For the brakes, you can expect to pay 1100 for all 4 rotors from www.genuinevwaudiparts.com. And the brake pads front and rear can be had for 154 shipped.

PALETTE
December 21st, 2010, 02:41
But if you do plan on selling it i might be interested LOL

Kenny
December 21st, 2010, 02:48
I have searched a lot thats how i found you guys :) but yes i have always wanted this car and now i have one... oi need to do the brakes pretty sure i can do them myself looked it up its a job but will do those now i seen some pictures of changing the timing belt but i don't think i want to tackle that myself thats a real job i also think i want to do the shocks any sugestions on that?

Kenny
December 21st, 2010, 02:51
LOL i am sure my girlfriend would sell it to you in a minute lol I live in omaha Nebraska we have a track close by and i want to get it ready for race by this spring

speedtrapped
December 21st, 2010, 02:59
When was the last TB service? You should be able to car fax the info. I think Audi reCommends 55k, then 75k miles, so if it wasn't done at by previous owner it will need to be. Brakejob is easy, there is a thread, google RS6 rotor replace, a mechanic aaa kind enough to take pics and give thorough instructions. One suggestion, if u buy OEM rotors ship them to frozen rotors( not a PLUG). These cars are heavy, frozen rotors cry freezes them and supposed to double life of the rotor. I think it's $40 per to freeze.

4everRS
December 21st, 2010, 03:03
1)Don't start a thread with "help"as the title. Briefly describe what you are looking for.

2)This car is 7 years old and there is a thread for nearly everything by now. Please try out the search function on the top right.

This is a $90k car new that has more hp and tq than many dedicated sports cars. It weights over 4200 lbs, yet can corner with some of the best cars on the road. Stuff will break. It will need maintenance. T belt job at the dealer or shop will be anywhere from 2000 to 3000 bucks, and it not why you car is overheating. Brakes are 300 per front rotor. They are likely the least expensive. Rear won't need to be changed yet. Full set of pads are anywhere from 150 to 225. Do them all. And don't use stock brakes, use search for other options.

Shocks? hehe

Kenny
December 21st, 2010, 03:08
yeah it just started to get hot i never let it go way hot i shu tit off i did not want to replace the motor for a simple fix soi say it over heats i mean the temp gage starts climbing lol to warm side i have sence parked and started looking for things to get her fixed up again it just hit 6ok its got 60134miles on it so i am sure it needs done i found a kit seems to include everythng including water pump and all the stuff as in rollers belts ect... for about 530.00 iseen someof you guys didnt change all the stuff i figure why not you have it open might as well that way i know exactly what i have done for i am not the org. owner the more i read your giys posts i am fairly certian thats what it needs i think i read that those TB stretch which causes over heating?

hahnmgh63
December 21st, 2010, 03:12
You mentioned that the car overheats on the highway, that is definitely a sign that something is terribly wrong with the car. If it is genuinely overheating, then the car shouldn't be driven until repaired as all RS6's sold in North America have one main radiator and two small ones behind the intercoolers and they don't tend to run hot. Could be the thermostat, waterpump, or ??? You can do a lot of damage to the engine by overheating it.

Kenny
December 21st, 2010, 03:15
I have parked her she stays in the garage.. i had read to find out a few things about why she would over heat i had read that when the TB stretches the water pump does not work efficient enough i have not takin it to audi yet but i will now the car does not over heat at under highway speeds as in 35 to 45 mph

ttboost
December 21st, 2010, 03:18
Check it with Vagcom? My temp gauge is bad and goes all the way down, which explains why it doesn't run fantastic right now...Maybe yours is bad and goes all the way up?

Kenny
December 21st, 2010, 03:22
it has a kinda rough idle also so i am pretty sure it is the timing and all that jaz but 3k i just dont have that right now so she will sit for a little longer lol

ttboost
December 21st, 2010, 03:34
I think mine is running kind of rich and my o2 logs read nothing at idle...I think that is directly related to the temp sensor.

DHall1
December 21st, 2010, 03:41
Sorry to hear about the problems.

How long have you had this car?

Where did you read that the timing belt wear causes the water pump pulley not to spin?

Who does the work on the car?

Where is your local Audi dealer?

Please dont ask 37 questions at once. The search function on this forum has almost every RS6 answer ever known to man. Please spend 6hrs reading up on all the answers to your questions.

V8weight
December 21st, 2010, 03:48
I think mine is running kind of rich and my o2 logs read nothing at idle...I think that is directly related to the temp sensor.
Ya TT, it sounds like you just need a new G62 temp sensor, this really effects drive-ability, especially when cold. Kenny, you need help indeed. Sounds like a bad water pump or thermostat. If it is the water pump, do not drive, push it to a shop. These timing belts do not stretch, they are kevlar reinforced.

MaxRS6
December 21st, 2010, 04:31
These guys are good rollin out pearls..Another brick in the wall evidence...

Welcome aboard the

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/Ozzy%20at%20Emerald/CrazyTrainPoster1.jpg?t=1292906185

Kenny
December 21st, 2010, 05:27
i have had it for about 2 years now and i was surfing i should have saved the site where that guy said that i repeated pretty much word for word what he said .. which was timing belt stretches and and water pump doesn't run as efficient as it should hence over heating. lol now this is my only foreign car i have ever owned so all the other muscle cars i could fix myself and new exactly what was wrong with them not this one though and i wanted to get enough knowledge about my problem as i possibly could before i took it to stan olson here in Omaha Nebraska i used to date a girl whose dad only woks on imports lol to bad i forgot her number lol and i i promise not to ask so many questions an di have been reading alll sorts of posts i really liked the dyno ones lol

DHall1
December 21st, 2010, 06:50
Take it to the dealer.

Verify the car is overheating while driving.

Are the coolant fans turning on?

full timing belt, wp and thermostat job will run 2500-3000 dollars at the dealer.

This is not a cheap car to maintain if you dont have a warranty and cant perform the work yourself.

I have extra ADD drugs if you need them. joke

ttboost
December 21st, 2010, 11:37
Ya TT, it sounds like you just need a new G62 temp sensor, this really effects drive-ability, especially when cold. Kenny, you need help indeed. Sounds like a bad water pump or thermostat. If it is the water pump, do not drive, push it to a shop. These timing belts do not stretch, they are kevlar reinforced.

Yeah I grabbed DV's, an N75 valve AND the temp sensor. We flashed it with a 1bar flash, but it is barely holding .9 bar. I put the DV's in in the parking lot, but still haven't gotten to the valve and sensor yet and haven't had a chance to log again.

ben916
December 21st, 2010, 20:54
My first question would be:

1. Does the car actually overheat or does the gauge just read high or hot? Once gauge goes up, shut off car, stick your nose between fender and hood; HOT or regular?
2. If you have TB stretch, you are going to have OTHER bigger issues besides running hot like one of the 40 valves not doing what it should at the wrong time.
3. Not to be a c@ck but, when was the last time you checked anything on the car? like:
a. Intercoolers/grills? Are they free of debris?
b. Air filters?
c. Coolant level?
d. Fans (like Dave stated) - do they come on when A/C is turned on?

Sucky thing is that you are in the middle of nowhere and all the tuner shops are 1000+ miles away...
You could offer to fly in the Great ones (DHALL1 or V8WEIGHT) for TB service...