PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Pan Gasket grief.

Hy Octane
December 18th, 2010, 18:31
Hi all. Is anyone else having any issues with repeated Tranny pan gaskets failing? I had a reman unit installed 12k miles ago and since then, the gasket has failed 3 times resulting in a leak that starts with spotting and gets progressively worse .. My tech says this last time was the worst but it seems the gasket just develops a break in it and they cant find a reason for it. For this repair, they used a different gasket that he said is stronger and we'll see. Of course they are covering it under warranty so thats no prob, as well as getting a tranny fluid flush and filter each time, thats a nice bonus.. Anyone else seeing this on theirs?

MaxRS6
December 18th, 2010, 18:40
Actually- mine is leaking just as you describe above as a very small leak. I noticed a couple small spots on the garage floor. They are replacing the gasket, filter, and doing a tranny fluid flush. It has been about 20K miles since I had this last done. A couple of the screws were slightly stripped so I asked them to be all replaced (a whopping 30 cents/each)- They actually asked- LOL

I'm having this done while it is in the shop for the radiator repairs.

hahnmgh63
December 18th, 2010, 22:29
I've flushed my tranny twice including doing the filter and gasket as well as one other RS6'ers tranny once and have never had the gasket leak. I don't use any sealant, just the gasket on clean surfaces and I do cross torque all of the bolts carefully. Make sure you or your tech hasn't overtightened any of the bolts as you can warp the pan.

V8weight
December 18th, 2010, 22:34
I wonder if there was a manufacture change in the gasket? My gasket was replaced by the dealer around 60k miles along with the torque converter, and hasn't leaked a drop. I change my fluid every 20k, but only change the filter and gasket every other time. I guess I'll find out in 10k whether the gasket is different.

yokust
December 18th, 2010, 22:51
Only time I have ever seen gaskets fail consistantly is when the pan has been hit.

Even the smallest little bend in it can cause the sealing surface to be tweeked and leak.

These pans are very thin metal and bend very easily also

V8weight
December 18th, 2010, 22:55
Only time I have ever seen gaskets fail consistantly is when the pan has been hit.

Even the smallest little bend in it can cause the sealing surface to be tweeked and leak.

These pans are very thin metal and bend very easily also
Very true, and to add to that, I've found is necessary sometimes to have to use a hammer and dolly to tap down the areas surrounding the bolt holes on some transmission pans. As they are installed and torqued, it depresses the area around the bolt holes raising it above the sealing surface.