PDA

View Full Version : All season tires

secdrvr
September 24th, 2003, 19:13
Hello again and thanks for all the info on radar detectors, laser jammers, etc. My next question is recommendations for all season/snow tires. I will be spending a fair amount of time driving mountain passes in Washington State and will be looking to put on appropriate tires. While the literature I have from Audi states that they recommend putting on all season or snow tires if needed, they don't give any recommendations.

gjg
September 24th, 2003, 19:42
Audi recomended size for winter tire (at least in Europe) for RS6 is 225/45/18 (would be interesting to drive 255/40 size tire in 4 inches of snow).

it is the same outside diameter of tire as 255/40/18. I am sure that you will find this size in US, at least H rated. Tirerack or the others should have it. It was about $220/tire when we looked for it couple months ago.

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 (Winter)
Size:225/45-18
VR Speed Rated Price: $211

Rally
September 24th, 2003, 20:10
lots of people are happy with their Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires.
They're spendy but supposedly worth it.
I will be getting a set of those for the S6 Avant. The mild Seattle winters would be perfect for these tires.

nene
September 24th, 2003, 20:54
Once the Pirelli's are gone, I'm thinking of getting Pilot Sports A/S.
That's what I got on the S4, and I am very happy with it.

oregonbob
September 25th, 2003, 00:30
I'm a big believer in dedicated winter tires. For the RS6, I bought a set of Dunlop Wintersport M3's in 255/40/18 from Tire Rack. About $840 for a set of four delivered.

I've used all weather (Acura Legend), Pirelli 240 Winter (BMW M3) and Dunlop M2 Winter (two sets, BMW X5 and Audi A6 4.2). The Pirelli's seem to have less straight stability as compared to the Dunlop's. The Pirelli's seemed to "wander" too much. These were different sizes on different cars so the comparison is not equal but, in my opinion, the Dunlop's are the better driving tire. The all weather tires, even in a front wheel drive car, were useless on ice. In Portland, Oregon, I worry more about black ice than snow.

So, for the RS6, it's Dunlop M3's. Cheap insurance to me.

Good luck with your decision.

TaTaPiRaTa
September 25th, 2003, 18:39
Dedicated winter tires are best solution if you have temperatures below zero degrees C.

They have much better grip on ice and snow than any all season tire. Breaking is also much improved.
If one drives a sports car like RS no one should use all season tires in true winter conditions - to be safe.
All season tires in my opinion are only good if you have sporadic snow and 95% of winter time temperature above water freezing point or you keep you car in garage during winter :)

I also think the tire size in winter should be narrower and higher due to ice parts on the road and so on....

Erik
September 25th, 2003, 18:48
I saw Lamborghini Snow Tyres today.

295/40/19 if I remember correct. :bigeyes: They looked like 22" or something.

That's my hand... :bigeyes:

http://www.sportbilen.se/bilder/bildspel/lambobentley/PICT6841.JPG

Muju
September 26th, 2003, 11:20
hey,

I recommend NOKIA tires or pilots.

later,
Mika

Erik
September 26th, 2003, 12:09
Originally posted by Muju
hey,
I recommend NOKIA tires or pilots.

Nokia is a phone ;)
Nokian is the name of the tire.
You're finnish, you should know ;) ;)

Finnus
September 26th, 2003, 12:27
I had Nokia's on my prior car and loved them. They were narrower in order to cut through the snow.

I purchased Dunlop M2 Winter Sports (on Audi's recommendation) for my S4 and thought they were pretty much worthless. I paid a lot for them and this will be my third season on them. They just won't die. I think I'm going to have to shoot them this winter since the S4 is going to be my winter car.

Finnus