PDA

View Full Version : X-mas came a little early

4everRS
December 15th, 2010, 05:06
Funny story. Several weeks ago, I decided I was going to get the EC tune. So I got the kit from Jerry and he was great. The process is fairly smooth as others can attest. Things were going fine but every time we tired to load the file onto the ECU, there was an error.

The error was due to a flash already being loaded on my car! I have owned the thing for over a year, data logged it, dyno-ed it twice, and there was no sign of a tune?? So, I ripped out the ecu and low-and-behold, an APR chip soldered on the board. As Pat would say, HOOOORAAY. :applause:

Now I can just hold the "set" button in and access the tunes right? Wrong. The security lockout feature was enabled, and I don't have the code. Getting a hold of the owner didn't work well. He really didn't think it was important to get back to me.

So I call APR and they were great. Sent the brain to them end of last week and get it back Thursday with latest updates and a new code. Pretty excited about it. Funny thing is that I had it the whole time and had no idea. Thank you to Randy who helped answer some of my questions, and a big thanks to Jerry and EC. He offered a complete refund right away.

4everRS
December 15th, 2010, 05:09
Here's a pic of the chip:

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/DSC_0306.jpg

I went inside, and excitedly told my wife. She wasn't as excited. Looked at me like I was crazy.

MaxRS6
December 15th, 2010, 11:55
Ho Ho Ho- Yo sled is about to rocket!

JSRS6
December 15th, 2010, 12:37
Congrats Kyle!

ttboost
December 15th, 2010, 12:43
That's funny, congrats!!! Just goes to show that you never know what you got...Wonder how many other people are driving around and THINK they have a stock car?

CornersWell
December 15th, 2010, 12:44
Now that I've seemingly got the RS6 stable, I'm considering an ECU upgrade. The indy is an APR dealer. EXPENSIVE tune, though. Is APR the way to go? There are lots of options, as everyone knows. And, given that I just had the TC re-built, would I also need a TCU? Or, am I good to go with just the ECU tune?

4ever...please post up your feelings on the APR chip once you've had a chance to compare and evaluate...

Thanks!

CW

ttboost
December 15th, 2010, 12:48
Absolutely do the TCU NO MATTER WHAT. I think this should be done before a ECU tune. An absolute MUST after an ECU tune. Cheap enough, no reason not to...

JSRS6
December 15th, 2010, 13:17
Now that I've seemingly got the RS6 stable, I'm considering an ECU upgrade. The indy is an APR dealer. EXPENSIVE tune, though. Is APR the way to go? There are lots of options, as everyone knows. And, given that I just had the TC re-built, would I also need a TCU? Or, am I good to go with just the ECU tune?

4ever...please post up your feelings on the APR chip once you've had a chance to compare and evaluate...

Thanks!

CW

APR and giac are the most expensive. They are ok. But like someone said on here ;-) "it's how the tuner makes the extra power." Most of the tunes are shelf tunes. Viper and eurocharged tailor the tune to your car with datalogs and such. Much safer IMHO.
And I have ridden in an APR tuned rs6. And yes it was fast. When brake boosted properly, these things REALLY go with a good tune. My stomach felt like I was on a rollercoaster.

Jimmy
December 15th, 2010, 13:41
...Wonder how many other people are driving around and THINK they have a stock car?

I was one of those people in the summer of 2009 when I got my car ! LOL

I 'thought' my motor was perhaps a bit 'peppier' than the other 5 or 6 RS6s I had driven previously. Now I know why... 8-)

V8weight
December 15th, 2010, 13:56
APR and giac are the most expensive. They are ok. But like someone said on here ;-) "it's how the tuner makes the extra power." Most of the tunes are shelf tunes. Viper and eurocharged tailor the tune to your car with datalogs and such. Much safer IMHO.
And I have ridden in an APR tuned rs6. And yes it was fast. When brake boosted properly, these things REALLY go with a good tune. My stomach felt like I was on a rollercoaster.
Actually, the APR tune is friggen phenomenal, just too expensive for this guy. I've seen Randy's logs, and I wouldn't want to tangle with his car.

DHall1
December 15th, 2010, 15:01
The APR tune is a solid performer. I have the logs from Mad Max and his car is fast. I think APR still installs their chip in the ECU so those with extended warranties may have issues.

Viper speaks for itself because Pat has done the document and testing to verify its standing. Viper has the ability to flashload without installing a chip.

Eurocharge speaks for itself from the dozen or so members that have documented outcomes complete with data logs to verify the outcome and nature of the tune. EC has the flashloader option to flash your car back without any chip installed in the ECU and its the best price tune on the market bar none.

OCT has a quality product with verified owner data logs and runs very similar to the APR. Pricey

The "others" are open for you all to play in the sand with. Put up some real world data in the form of actual owners data logs and or actual owner 1/4 mile, 30-90 ect numbers. Pat and myself dont even bother with vendor dyno graphs without having the real owner step forward with hard data log evidence. Sorry if that pisses some of you off but I really dont care. With all the work we have done on this matter I think we (Pat and myself) can just look over a detailed data log and tell you if your car is fast or not.

CW-did you see Stephen's feedback on the EC tune? He is out in the DC area and compared his car to a 997TT in this current state of tune. Just with the flash. Anyway, I'm sure you could work out a test ride the next time in the area.

dab
December 15th, 2010, 15:09
I have the apr chip and haven't data logged it etc. Just the seat of the pants dyno and it was 2K for the ecu and tcu and it is substantially faster than stock. My 2 cents

Beastly
December 15th, 2010, 15:41
I put the APR in a few months ago with the Wagners and love it, working up the nerve to run the race gas "100" tune.... Congrats on your find.

4everRS
December 15th, 2010, 21:51
Ya, I'm one lucky SOB, and I can't wait til the mail comes tomorrow. As stated above, TCU really is a must. I have the MTM as well as BND fluids, so I hope that will help extend the life of the slushbox. And it may be a good thing I didn't find out about this right away. As Randy told me, "at least you saved some wear and tear on the car" hehe. I think I may start saving up for a new tranny anyway.

marklar182
December 15th, 2010, 22:12
APR, Lucky!

Seriously, nice surprise. I loved APR in my A4. The ECMS was sweet! I just couldn't justify the RS 6 version pricing.

papadoc
December 16th, 2010, 04:54
APR tune with ACES IV in the tank is the way to go. I had been mixing 100 octane race gas with our California 91 octane stuff, running the 93 tune. Now with ACES IV in the tank, run the 93 all of the time. We unfortunately don't have the roads to really appreciate this mix; the kick with WOT from about 70 MPH is amazing...

Stephencl
December 16th, 2010, 14:53
CW-did you see Stephen's feedback on the EC tune? He is out in the DC area and compared his car to a 997TT in this current state of tune. Just with the flash. Anyway, I'm sure you could work out a test ride the next time in the area.

Happy to provide test drives for any interested parties in the DC metro area....just bring your nomex and a helmet! :)

Stephen

DHall1
December 16th, 2010, 16:59
Too funny. When Jim was down to play golf the time before last we took a ride in the RS6 up a mountain road. His comment was "your wearing gloves for this?"

;-)

The Snell and suit may be a good idea next time.

Happy to provide test drives for any interested parties in the DC metro area....just bring your nomex and a helmet! :)

Stephen

4everRS
December 17th, 2010, 04:08
The big Brown truck came today(i get paid too Dave). Put the ECU in and took the beast out. It was pretty great to see those lights flash back and forth for the first time after unlocking the code. :hihi:

I put it in option 2 = 91 octane mode. Geeez it's fast. However, I did notice an oddity. Anywhere from half to full throttle, I get a spit-and-sputtering noise from the exhaust. I can also feel it very slightly. It doesn't jerk back and forth or anything, but you can tell it's there.

So, here's some more info for those who want to help diagnose. I have 91 octane non-oxygenated running aces IV. It has been sitting for a week. I let it warm up well before any flogging. I have non-premium spark plugs made by autolite (yeah, I know). No codes thrown.

My idea, do plugs first. Get the real stuff - ngk. Could I be blowing out the spark?

marklar182
December 17th, 2010, 04:28
Plugs could be dead if they are copper (they are good for ~3k miles normally).

Replace the plugs with stockers.

4everRS
December 17th, 2010, 04:53
Plugs could be dead if they are copper (they are good for ~3k miles normally).

Replace the plugs with stockers.well, they've been in for probably almost 8 k miles. They are double platnums

marklar182
December 17th, 2010, 14:26
Good platinums normally last a looong time. But I bet the car just doesn't like those plugs at higher boost/timing.

MaxRS6
December 17th, 2010, 14:51
I put it in option 2 = 91 octane mode. Geeez it's fast...

You will see a noticeable performance difference in the 93 mode over 91. Go get some real gas in there and let it fly.. ;) Hopefully the plugs will resolve the issue.

4everRS
December 19th, 2010, 02:03
After I re-gapped my spark plugs to .025, the car is running great with the tune. I just got in from a test drive and I can't believe the difference! I tried all the modes and it is astonishingly fast. I had it on the 100oct setting while using aces and 91 non-ox gas and HOLY HELL. For the record, I don't think that I am likely getting the real 100octane effect as if I actually used 100 octane, but it still made a BIG difference.

It really was the first time since I got the car, that I was frightened by the speed. I was able to get it up over 150 twice and the rate at which it gets there is just crazy. I looked down at 130, kept my foot down, looked again at a little over 150, and let off the gas saying out loud, "ok, that's enough" in a fear-filled kind of way. Mind-blowing acceleration.

ttboost
December 19th, 2010, 02:06
Yeah...amazing when it fires on all cylinders when it's supposed to...:)

V8weight
December 19th, 2010, 03:51
There's something to be said for APR being able to hide it's tuning from the dealers. All of those data logs, and we were never able to sniff it out! Too funny.

DHall1
December 19th, 2010, 16:51
Except when the ECU cover is removed and the chip is labeled APR.

All in all, great news and Christmas present soon not forgotten. Just easy on the 150 blasts.

There's something to be said for APR being able to hide it's tuning from the dealers. All of those data logs, and we were never able to sniff it out! Too funny.