PDA

View Full Version : Help Gang- Coolant spraying onto passenger side of hood

MaxRS6
December 12th, 2010, 00:34
After about 7 or 8 laps- it seems- at TWS, I have a spray of coolant coming up over the hood on the passenger side. It usually just happens one time. The engine temp stays normal and the car is not running hot. Appears to be about a 1/8 of a cup that sprays out. I've checked the coolant level and it remains practically full. By the end of the day, I did put a little coolant in to top it off. Driving around normally, there is no issue. I see no leak as it runs and as it sits here at the hotel parking lot.

I assume something is making it blow when under high pressure at track speeds. I've looked around and don't see anything coming out of the hoses I can see.

Any guesses and what I might want to check?- I'm certainly keeping an eye on the coolant level and temp guages. However; I'm obviously concerned of a large coolant explosion soaking my tires while going into a turn. That is a Slip and Slide I would rather not ride..;

TIA RS6 Brain Trust

V8weight
December 12th, 2010, 01:01
Hmm, trying to figure out where the coolant is coming from may be futile, it appears you're building excessive coolant pressure. Do you have any means to track down a new reservoir cap?

V8weight
December 12th, 2010, 01:04
The only other way I could see the coolant system building excessive pressure is..........eeeks......a bad head gasket.

ben916
December 12th, 2010, 01:13
Is it under braking? on throttle? Turning R or L (assuming turning L)?

Does the Coolant look like it should? Color wise?
Probably impossible to check Head Gaskets/Valve cover Gaskets...

Have you checked the oil?
Just tossing ideas out there...

MaxRS6
December 12th, 2010, 01:33
The only other way I could see the coolant system building excessive pressure is..........eeeks......a bad head gasket.

Ouch- They just replaced the gaskets with the recent engine pull a few months ago. Would there be other symptoms- like not being able go around a corner in the rightt line..LOL

Well- I think I'm going to give serious thought to calling it a day and head back to home base early- Or I may try the first session as it will be relatively slow and see what happens.

Ben:
I haven't been able to notice when it happens. For the most part, I haven't even seen the occurrence as I guess as I was looking in a different direction. I just see the resultant spray on the hood streaking back. The color is normal yellow from BND. If I go back out tomorrow, I'll try to determine if there is an recurring theme.

Thanks for the input guys!

DHall1
December 12th, 2010, 02:00
Max,

Clarify blowing up on the hood? You mean coming out of the front grille area and spraying up on the windshield? or coming from the rear of the hood/wipers area and spraying up on the windshield?

I just got home and here is my 2c

If the headgaskets were blown into the coolant port you would have many symptoms. Coolant system would build up pressure, you would get air pockets in the coolant system, you would start to overheat(did you take the Vag?), you would see bubbles in the overflow tank while the car is running(after a hot lap session). Hard to tell if that is the case right now.

More likely you have a seam on the rad that is cracked and it starts leaking when under heat loads. You should be able to find a trail of dry coolant crust along the leak stream.

Anyways, if you cant find a failed component and you start checking the engine for headgasket failure....there is a full proof kit that measures any combustion gasses in the coolant. We can talk more about that if it comes to it.

hahnmgh63
December 12th, 2010, 09:59
After installing my Wagner Intercoolers I had a slight leak from the right side small radiator lines that are above & behind the right headlight. It slightly sprayed on the bottom of the hood when the car got warm and the pressure increased, it wasn't much. A new stainless hose clamp to replace the factory spring clamps solved the problem.