PDA

View Full Version : Comparison: New A6 vs New 5 series

HKS786
December 7th, 2010, 18:41
M-Sport 5-Series vs. Audi A6 S-Line

http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=461989&d=1291336668
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=461990&d=1291336668

Non M-Sport 5-Series - Audi A6

http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=461991&d=1291336668
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=461992&d=1291336668
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=461994&d=1291336668
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=461993&d=1291336668
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=461996&d=1291336668
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=461995&d=1291336668

Aronis
December 7th, 2010, 21:50
Both are very nice looking cars.

I drove a 500 ix non-sport, very nice. The steering was not as tight as I would have expected from prior BMWs I have owned.

I'm waiting for a run against a 550 xi with Sport package against my RS6.

Mike

JSRS6
December 7th, 2010, 21:57
I'm waiting for a run against a 550 xi with Sport package against my RS6.

Mike

Have something lined up(pun intended) or just hoping to see one on the street?

Benman
December 7th, 2010, 22:22
Both are very nice looking cars.

Mike

So, so true! The only angle I like better of the BMW over the new A6 is the profile. The Audi is more Bahaus "bland" (but in a good way) whereas the BMW is a little more dynamic in that angle. All other angles I give a very slight edge to the new A6 (but then, I'm biased). But great looking cars and nice to have such good looking choices. :cheers:

Ben

HKS786
December 8th, 2010, 11:31
^^^ True. I genuinely dont think it's easy to pick a favourite between them. They are both EXACTLY the same dimensions (length, width, height) and have quite a reserved look. I'd say the 5 series (especially M-sport) looks very sporty, dynamic and fresh. However, the new A6 S-line looks modern, clean and a stunning interior. Hard to pick one! One thing is for sure though I would take both over the E-class.

Kliko
December 8th, 2010, 14:43
I agree with you guys, both cars are just stunning. I like the new 5 especially with the M-package. The front of the new 5 is very aggressive, but the taillights are not a big improvement...
Besides that, the exhaust tips with the S-line of A6 looks better than the ones on the 5 series...
On the interior side I think it's again very close, a slide better interior in the A6, but the interior of the 5 is also very nice I think

So, I think if I had the money and had to make a choice between Audi A6 or Bmw 5, I THINK I would pick the A6 with S-line package, BUT it would be a tough decision to make...
Very nice cars....

Ruergard
December 8th, 2010, 18:30
The beemer is one good-looking car, but the A6 has the edge.

ZCD2.7T
December 8th, 2010, 21:27
Yes, both are nice, but I prefer the cleaner overall look of the A6.

I particularly DISlike the 5er's taillights....overwrought is the word that comes to mind.

Thanks for finding and posting these pics - very interesting!

JSRS6
December 8th, 2010, 22:31
I wanna know where I can get some of those backwards emblems like on the last photo ;-)

Benman
December 9th, 2010, 00:59
The beemer is one good-looking car, but the A6 has the edge. You know, looking at the above posts (including mine) it amazes me how much the new 5 Series has impressed us Audi folk. I admit being slightly curious if the BMW crowd is thinking similar thoughts towards the new A6.

As for Ruergard's post, I'd agree, but honestly, I'd be lying if I said it had nothing to do with being "pro" Audi. :D

I mean, dang, those two cars are a hard choice! In M Sport and S line... sexy four doors right there! :cheers:

Ben :addict:

HKS786
December 9th, 2010, 01:29
^^^

I can speak for the BMW crowd. Over at M3post I would say most people prefer the 5 series inside and out. However, a few people said in stock trim the 5 series is better but the S-line A6 is better than the M-sport 5. I think this shows how tough a choice it is to pick between either.

Qisha
December 9th, 2010, 07:28
Dear Friends,

the S6 will turn the scale. :hihi:

Qisha

AreEss5
December 9th, 2010, 08:55
I am a big fan of the 5 series. I love everything about the car in terms of the exterior and interior. I cant say the same for the M sport 5 series. I would have to pick a S-line A6 over a M-sport 5 series if given the two choices, but I would rather stick to a 550i non Msport if anything. The A6 is a very good looking car and in my opinion, it surpass the new E class in exterior AND interior looks, and comes very close to the 5 series. This is coming from a big BMW fan, but ever since Audi's new design approach, I've been impressed with their new models and how competitive they are in the auto industry.

darkop
December 9th, 2010, 09:06
The new 5er, contrary to previous BMWs, looks better in pictures than IRL where it looks too plain, ordinary or bigger 3er( which is not nice looking car to start with) and it's hardly noticeable from the other cars. Doesn't stand out!... Also, there is something with BMW that doesn't bode well with them.. Somehow they look cheap, plasticly and not well made compared to Audi, Mercs, Porsches,... Just don't feel premium! Sorry if someone gets offended but that's from the guy who used to own a BMW himself!

AudiRS4ever
December 9th, 2010, 15:28
The new A6 is stunning, especially in S-Line guise. I've driven the new 5 and can say that it is a very good driving car, but definitely feels bigger than the previous E60 model it replaced. For me I'll stick with the BMW even though I think the Audi looks better. I haven't driven the Audi, but my guess is that it won't drive that much better than the new 5, if at all. The biggest reason that I don't think BMW is going to be in too much trouble with the new A6 is its dealer groups. Audi still has yet to realize that no matter how good their cars are, they are being sold at dealers that could care less about the product, and even less about the customer. I know I am generalizing, but every Audi dealer I walk into I feel uncomfortable.
Just an example. I did call the parts department in Denver per Dave about the calipers and rotors I'm going to sell to find out what their part number and prices are. It's been almost 24 hours and nobody has gotten back to me from McDonald. No real surprise. That's what I've come to expect from the Audi dealers in Colorado. Get your dealer groups to act like they give a sh*t and people like me will stop running their mouths and come back to buy Audis again. Otherwise, I'll stick with BMW and at least be treated like a human being. Just my .02

Qisha
December 9th, 2010, 15:56
I know I am generalizing, but every Audi dealer I walk into I feel uncomfortable.
Just an example. I did call the parts department in Denver per Dave about the calipers and rotors I'm going to sell to find out what their part number and prices are. It's been almost 24 hours and nobody has gotten back to me from McDonald. No real surprise. That's what I've come to expect from the Audi dealers in Colorado. Get your dealer groups to act like they give a sh*t and people like me will stop running their mouths and come back to buy Audis again. Otherwise, I'll stick with BMW and at least be treated like a human being. Just my .02

Dear AudiRS4ever,

please provide Audi USA with your personal experience:

https://secure-www.audi.com/us/brand/en/tools/form/customer_care.formlayer.html

Subject: please choose "Treatment by personnel (Dealer, Roadside, etc.)"

It is very important to give feedback. This counts for every misbehaviour whatsoever.

Thank you! :0:

Qisha

AudiRS4ever
December 9th, 2010, 16:21
Qisha,

If you really think it will help I'll do that. I appreciate you taking the time to respond and I wish you worked for Audi NA. I think you could probably whip the dealers into shape. :)

HKS786
December 9th, 2010, 21:41
Dear Friends,

the S6 will turn the scale. :hihi:

Qisha

Qisha my friend, you know you cant leave it at that :D More info please!

Benman
December 9th, 2010, 23:46
Qisha,

If you really think it will help I'll do that. I appreciate you taking the time to respond and I wish you worked for Audi NA. I think you could probably whip the dealers into shape. :)

I got to say, Walter's Audi in Riverside, CA has never given me anything less than exceptional customer service. :cheers:

Ben :addict:

V8weight
December 10th, 2010, 03:34
Oddly enough, there are two dealerships in my local area, both under the same ownership. One has never been anything less than exceptional, the other, I would not trust to air up my tires.

JSRS6
December 10th, 2010, 04:08
Only one here, a friend of mine with a mugello tried to have his recall done here. The dealer had the car for a week, then told him they didn't have the tool for pressurizing the system. And when they gave it back, it was LITERALLY running on fumes. Ended up going to Richmond. Sane place I went. Car rode great till I hit a pothole on the edge of a road in a curve and popped the top of the strut that was replaced. Went pss9's after that.

AudiRS4ever
December 10th, 2010, 13:56
I think I got this thread off-topic. For that I am sorry. The title is 5 series vs A6. While I do think it is relavent that the reason I keep buying BMW's over Audi doesn't have as much to do with the car as the fact that the sales people have a passion for the product and the service department doesn't give you the deer in the headlights look when you ask them anything technical. That was not the point of the thread. The question is which car is subjectively better?
Having driven the 5 series in both forms now and not even seeing the A6 in real life yet, I give my nod to the Audi for looks and the BMW for driving style. That may change after a drive in the Audi, but everything I've read so far (which is very little) leads me to believe that the BMW is still going to have the edge in driving dynamics, if only slightly. As most everyone has said, there isn't a wrong choice between the two. That is probably not something most of us, if we were honest about it, would have said just 3 to 4 years ago. Back then the BMW was still the benchmark. Now it seems that Audi has listened and learned and is determined to become the new benchmark. Way to go Audi! :race:

JSRS6
December 10th, 2010, 14:01
I think I got this thread off-topic. For that I am sorry. The title is 5 series vs A6. While I do think it is relavent that the reason I keep buying BMW's over Audi doesn't have as much to do with the car as the fact that the sales people have a passion for the product and the service department doesn't give you the deer in the headlights look when you ask them anything technical. That was not the point of the thread. The question is which car is subjectively better?
Having driven the 5 series in both forms now and not even seeing the A6 in real life yet, I give my nod to the Audi for looks and the BMW for driving style. That may change after a drive in the Audi, but everything I've read so far (which is very little) leads me to believe that the BMW is still going to have the edge in driving dynamics, if only slightly. As most everyone has said, there isn't a wrong choice between the two. That is probably not something most of us, if we were honest about it, would have said just 3 to 4 years ago. Back then the BMW was still the benchmark. Now it seems that Audi has listened and learned and is determined to become the new benchmark. Way to go Audi! :race:

On point. And I would personally choose the new a/s/rs6 over the new 5 series. Never got a that vibe from a bimmer, and there has always been an intangible feeling when driving my audis.