PDA

View Full Version : advice on dupli color caliper paint.

speedtrapped
December 6th, 2010, 15:05
I have a couple days off coming this month and I want to use my time to re paint my calipers, they look very dull. i p/u a set of RS 6 decals, and I searched for a hi temp ceramic caliper paint, the only type I found was dupli-color, which is only good to 500 degrees F. Not sure but I assume under very heavy braking our brakes could generate a lot more? Has anyone used this paint before, or has a source for another brand that can withstand 900+. Btw, cant decide if I am going to cheat, and tape off rotors etc, and paint brakes on, or remove calipers....i bet I know the response to that one.

JSRS6
December 6th, 2010, 15:11
Yeah, take off the calipers Stephen. And they have higher temp paint, but it's not "caliper paint". I think it's krylon. 900fand 1200f. I believe it's for like BBQ's. You going for a different color?

speedtrapped
December 6th, 2010, 15:22
Morning Josh....not sure, I like hi gloss black, but I think color would pop...

QuattroRS
December 6th, 2010, 15:24
You could try to clean them up first. Its just like any other painted surface. Brake dust particles are caked on the surface. Wash, clay bar, polish, buff.

Worth a try first

JSRS6
December 6th, 2010, 15:34
Ya beat me to it. I was just about to say, I was able to make mine look brand new with some elbow grease when I too k them off during the brake job recently. Brake dust will continue to accumulate though, so like quattro said, do em like the the car. Detail them and you will be happy.

speedtrapped
December 6th, 2010, 15:36
interesting, I have a set of ss brake lines to add, so i will remove and clean calipers up 1st, have clay bar, polish and wax....But my decal is faded away, will that come off with polish or clay so i can attach new decal?

JSRS6
December 6th, 2010, 15:38
Can you take a pic?

speedtrapped
December 6th, 2010, 15:40
I can tonight josh....drove the audi today

JSRS6
December 6th, 2010, 15:41
Lol, you mean the "other" audi?

speedtrapped
December 6th, 2010, 15:42
yes, the dirty cousin, she's biggger and she smokes, but just as much fun to play with

JSRS6
December 6th, 2010, 18:44
yes, the dirty cousin, she's biggger and she smokes, but just as much fun to play with

So are you originally from New Jersey??? LOL

ben916
December 6th, 2010, 18:51

Bigger "Headlights", right? :)
She smokes... what does she smoke?

You have a quiver of Audis over there??? If so, you remind me of a certain person over here on the West Coast who's username rhymes with "shaudi5000csqt"

JSRS6
December 6th, 2010, 18:55
Sounds like she is related to lil' Sis...

speedtrapped
December 6th, 2010, 19:15
Bigger junk in the trunk, V10, wears nothing but black, and she smokes Eurocharged unfiltered, she is nasty ever since she the milltek was shoved were the sun dont shine....I sometimes cheat on her with my beast

ben916
December 6th, 2010, 19:26
....I sometimes cheat on her with my beast

As long as someone is satisfied...

speedtrapped
December 6th, 2010, 19:32
I always start with smile and end with a smile......getting weirder by the moment

ben916
December 6th, 2010, 19:45
OK, back on topic:

When I changed out my front rotors, the calipers were suppose to be gloss black with the RS 6 sticker;
Cleaning off the brake dust with the caliper still attached to the brake line was challenging.
I didn't have 1.1.1 trich with me so I had to use ol' fashioned elbow grease.
Didn't work too well but without taking off the calipers and soaking them for a bit, it was the best one could do...

Was it snoopra or vangelis that did a write up on this?

JSRS6
December 6th, 2010, 20:08
I believe it was snoopra.