PDA

View Full Version : Pulled THIS out of my tire last week

CornersWell
December 3rd, 2010, 01:10
Thought you'd all enjoy seeing this. Typical DC road debris...

CW

JSRS6
December 3rd, 2010, 01:17
WTF mate!?!

CornersWell
December 3rd, 2010, 01:23
Yeah, if anyone can identify what it is, I'll give you half the amount I recover. I REALLY want to find whoever dropped this on the road and go confront them. This is insane!

CW

DonS
December 3rd, 2010, 02:12
Bummer. Is the tire salvageable? Hopefully they plugged and patched as that is the only way to have a long-term repair.

Looks like a gemini stud. Screw it into something like wood or plastic so you have a threaded stud to bolt something to.

Take a walk along a road someday. You'll find tools, clothing (how does someone lose a single shoe?), lumber (especially if close to Home Depot), furniture (especially if close to Goodwill), and lots of debris from tore down homes and other construction projects (especially on routes to the landfill). A huge 33% of landfill solid waste is building material and that stuff travels on our roads - I'm guessing its from a teardown. At least you can see the big stuff to manuver out of the way. You know where the little stuff ends up.

CornersWell
December 3rd, 2010, 02:33
It's somewhat odd. It's got a self-tapping metal screw on one end, and a torx head on the other.

Tire was plugged, but it's scrap now. I just got it plugged to limp it along until the new tire arrives.

CW

nistah
December 15th, 2010, 07:21
I had something very similar pulled out of mine this past Monday, also in DC

topcat_92
December 15th, 2010, 18:56
Looks like a quarter to me.:hahahehe: DC? A treasury truck probably dropped it. Give them a call and give them your 25 cents worth.:lovl:

But seriously, DonS is on the right track. Probably fell out of a truck taking debris from a renovation to the dump. Too bad...

V8weight
December 15th, 2010, 19:09
That is a stud off of a broken side view mirror. Somebody must have knocked their side mirror off on the freeway. The coarse thread screws into the plastic mirror base, the fine thread and nut go trough the door frame.

CornersWell
December 15th, 2010, 20:50
Thanks, V8.

I had hoped to be able to return it to them.

Guess that's not going to happen. Tire was toast anyway...

CW