PDA

View Full Version : Quick BND fluid question

speedtrapped
December 2nd, 2010, 17:05
So my christmas present to myself:hihi: finally arrived, Aces IV, RS6 motor oil/filter, S8 motor oil/filter, and tranny fluid. Question: my mechanic reluctant to change my S8 oil(indy, ex audi tech) because car is CPO'ed, could Audi deny future cliam because I'm not using Audi approved motor oil??

JSRS6
December 2nd, 2010, 18:18
"technically" yes. But they generally don't just randomly take oil samples from warranties cars. If something goes wrong with your car and during a warranty repair the shop finds that the problem lies in the engine and finds out the oil isn't oem, possibly.

DHall1
December 2nd, 2010, 18:18
As long as the BND oil meets the spec for the S8 engine.

There should be a 505.01 type of spec noted for the S8 just as the RS6.

Save 4oz of the virgin oil for Blackstone testing if the need ever comes up.

How many Christmas presents do you get this year? Just checking.

"My Genius" is on the UPS truck.

speedtrapped
December 2nd, 2010, 18:36
if u ask my wife, waaayyy to many....i'm a big believer in the multiplier effect, but lest we forget the laffer curve is more important.

yokust
December 2nd, 2010, 21:44
Warranty will RARELY take oil samples, but I have seen it done on strange catastrophic failures

For any issues they do require proof of oil changes and proof of correct oil grade(505.01, 505.00, 502.00 etc)

I have seen handfulls of warranty claims denied at the vw dealer for not using spec oil.

And also seen plenty of TDI people who run some companies special oil, that claim they meet the standard. But the company does not have proof that they do, and the claims were denied.

So just cover your bases, with having proof that the oil you use is to spec

speedtrapped
December 3rd, 2010, 00:43
TY all, saving a sample as dave suggested, and it is spec. Aces IV added tonight!

s42ski
December 3rd, 2010, 02:42
I checked this out before I went the BND route. Legally the car manufacturer can not specify a brand of oil or state that only the "oem" fluid is allowed. They can only specify a set of requirements (505.01). Any oil that meets this requirement is allowed and does not void the warranty. If the motor fails, the dealers are many times instructed to get a sample so they can determine if the oil was changed or if it met spec or you added some snake oil to get increased MPG etc. Then you are out of luck. BND tests above requirements for 505.01 when I had it checked.

speedtrapped
December 3rd, 2010, 02:47
S42ski awesome info, Ty

yokust
December 3rd, 2010, 17:21
I checked this out before I went the BND route. Legally the car manufacturer can not specify a brand of oil or state that only the "oem" fluid is allowed. They can only specify a set of requirements (505.01). Any oil that meets this requirement is allowed and does not void the warranty. If the motor fails, the dealers are many times instructed to get a sample so they can determine if the oil was changed or if it met spec or you added some snake oil to get increased MPG etc. Then you are out of luck. BND tests above requirements for 505.01 when I had it checked.

That is pretty much the same thing I said.

But the only thing you have to add to that, is the customer(you) would be required for proving the oil quality. VW/Audi is not going to pay for an oil sample test if something happens

speedtrapped
December 3rd, 2010, 17:39
Ty Yokust....I guess I can sample a prepoured amount, or would it be the oil after poured in?

yokust
December 3rd, 2010, 18:12
It would not hurt to prove the oil quality now, so you know

But if something happens(pretty sure its fine), but the sample would need to be from the motor when it failed

speedtrapped
December 3rd, 2010, 18:36
anyone have a suggestion for analysis, mail order type?

JSRS6
December 3rd, 2010, 20:40
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

It's pretty much the industry standard for oil testing.

GEN XER
December 4th, 2010, 04:03
Here is a copy of a sample for the txt 505.01 They will all spec close to the same. I sent Brian a bottle of txt and he said its not even synthetic.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/BND%20AUTO/RS6Virgin.jpg

Used samples of QB still have more Zinc and Phosphorus than this virgin oil.

V8weight
December 4th, 2010, 04:10
Here is a copy of a sample for the txt 505.01 They will all spec close to the same. I sent Brian a bottle of txt and he said its not even synthetic.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/BND%20AUTO/RS6Virgin.jpg

Used samples of QB still have more Zinc and Phosphorus than this virgin oil.
Yeah, in my opinion, a good oil should have around 1400ppm of zinc and phosphorus. The Castrol looks to be about half way there.

ben916
December 4th, 2010, 04:32
Yeah, in my opinion, a good oil should have around 1400ppm of zinc and phosphorus. The Castrol looks to be about half way there.

That is how it is "NEW and IMPROVED!" each fookin' year!!!
They add 1 ppm or maybe 2 ppm to make it just a minutely better...
Just another way to screw ya!

V8weight
December 4th, 2010, 04:39
That is how it is "NEW and IMPROVED!" each fookin' year!!!
They add 1 ppm or maybe 2 ppm to make it just a minutely better...
Just another way to screw ya!
Haha, I think it's actually the other way around. It was probably at one time a lot better oil, but the EPA just keeps insisting that they remove all of those pesky elements that add lubricity. It probably loses another 2ppm a year. :)

QuattroRS
December 4th, 2010, 06:47
Does anyone have a copy of the BND report? Used or new?

GEN XER
December 4th, 2010, 21:30
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/QBOilSample-1.jpg

Here is the BND virgin sample.