PDA

View Full Version : Any Baltimore/DC Audi RS Tech Referrals?

Holiday
December 1st, 2010, 04:47
Well Gents,

I've swapped coasts. Left San Diego a few weeks ago on a job transfer to NAS Patuxent River in Southern Maryland. That said, I'm in the market for a new service provider in the DC/Baltimore area. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Thanks...!

JSRS6
December 1st, 2010, 11:58
Welcome to the east coast sir! I think CW can steer you in the right direction. Trying to have a get together in the near future up around dc. You in?

CornersWell
December 1st, 2010, 16:03
As I'm in NoVA, I can only really help you out with suggestions on this side of the river. HBL (Audi of Tysons) is where I have my car at the moment. Wieslaw is the tech. He's regarded as the best tech they have, and I think he's done a good and careful job troubleshooting my car. At least I hope. Glenn Marquis is the service manager for audi there. He's new to audi (over from Ferrari of Washington), but I've known him for almost 20 years of ownership in the Ferrari world. He ran the ex-FoW GrandAm GT effort, and I think he was also with Eletrodyne many years ago when they had their IMSA team. He's in management, now, so he probably doesn't have a lot of time to kibbitz, but he's as good as his word. Konrad Malinowski is the service advisor Glenn set me up with. For years I always had my work done at HBL without issue. Different tech and service advisor, but they've apparently moved on to Chantilly.

I had tried using Audi of Alexandria for an alternator replacement, and that nearly turned into a lawsuit against them. They do have an RS6 tech there, but for me it's worth the hassle of going back out to Tysons and HBL, even though I'm only 5 minutes from AoAlexandria. My feeling is that there's been so much turnover there, they really have to sort a few things out before I'd even consider trying them again. And, with what happened, I don't know if I can trust them. It gives me more confidence to go to HBL.

I had tried to use an local independent shop. There is one that's pretty highly thought of. They have a facility just south of Springfield on 95. They also have a shop somewhere in MD. I used them for my 55K service (about half what AoAlexandria quoted for the job), my torque converter re-build and most recently a brake vacuum pump and brake switch light replacement (all covered by my independent warranty). I like the guys there, but I must caution you that the reason my car is at HBL right now is due to a cross-connected wire during the engine reinstall after the torque converter rebuild. The indy has said they'll pay to fix it and will stand by their work, so we'll see. I'm hopeful. They're much less expensive than the dealer. However, I may have saved a few hundred dollars only to have to spend it at HBL (and be inconvenienced when my car stranded me). So, take that experience for what it's worth. If you'd like, I will PM you the name of that shop, but I'd prefer to keep their name out of print until this thing with the cabling and brake vacuum pump failure is completely resolved and I am reimbursed. That said, the 55K was done properly and the torque converter is working properly. So, but for the cross-connected wire, there was no issue with the quality of their work. I should also say that last Tuesday, there were a total of three RS6s in their shop having work done. So, they've got enough experience on them to get it right, I'd think. The only catch is they can't to DRC work, as they don't have the tools for the DRC system. So, around here, you're beholden to the dealers for that.

Good luck, and welcome to the area.

CW

Fraba
December 1st, 2010, 16:51
CW, thanks for that update (from the Jinx thread). I was wondering what the story was on that.

BTW, I'm the guy you met at the shop.

CornersWell
December 1st, 2010, 17:12
Hope they did a good job on yours! Good to see you around these parts. Best of luck with the car, Fraba.

CW

Holiday
December 5th, 2010, 15:19
First, my apologies for the late reply! Spent the last week moving into my new home, so my online time has been limited! Wow, almost forgot how much I hate moving...!
JS- good to see that you made it back safely. If you put something together, let me know; sounds like fun.

CW- Many thanks for the great write up! Terrific advice and I'll be following up on it next week. Coincidentally, I had a check engine light pop up on Friday... I don't think my girl likes the cold- she's used to 72 degrees year round!

CornersWell
December 5th, 2010, 20:36
Holiday,

More than welcome. FYI, the indy shop has a second (their original) location in Aberdeen, which is north of Baltimore.

And, aren't you glad you moved here? COLD this week. Last week it was in the 60's. I'll wager with wind chill it's in the low 30's or high 20's even today. Oh, well, welcome to the Mid Atlantic!

CW

M5 Eater
December 6th, 2010, 21:22
To All: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
A few things that I would like to add. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
1. If you all do decide to meet up please let me know. I'm also located in NOVA and I would love to get all the beasts in the area together. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
2. CornersWell - I think I know the independent shop that you are speaking of, please IM me so we can exchange names. I’ve had work done by an independent out of Lorton, VA (father and son team) and so far they seem fair and legit. I did have one instance where I took my beast in for an oil change and when I was driving home an intercooler hose was loose. It was an easy fix but locating the leak was a pain as it was on the bottom of the hose. Was it a coincidence, IDK, I would like to think that it happened by accident but it would’ve taken a lot of boost to pop that off by itself! <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I’ve also used HBL and they seem helpful and courteous. I took the beast there for the DRC recall and it was returned just fine.<o:p></o:p>
3. I’m actually getting ready to take the beast in for the big 75K maintenance and a possible TC or trans rebuild or replacement. I’m having a hard time troubleshooting which one it is and no codes pop. So I’m stuck between the independent and the stealer. I’ve asked for guestaments from both the independent and the stealer. The stealer just says bring the car in and we’ll let you know (so no true figure), I say that they’re afraid to tell me the true figure without having the car in hand and me no choice to use them at that point. lol<o:p></o:p>
Hope to meet up with you all soon<o:p></o:p>

JSRS6
December 6th, 2010, 22:25
How does everyone feel about the 18th?

M5 Eater
December 6th, 2010, 23:10
I can do the 18th.
The beast will be sick but I can wait to turn it in to the shop.

CornersWell
December 7th, 2010, 00:51
Will be gone on the 18th. Going back to CO for a while...

Will PM you, M5 Eater.

CW

JSRS6
December 7th, 2010, 01:02
When will you be back CW?

CornersWell
December 7th, 2010, 01:04
Mid January.

CW

JSRS6
December 7th, 2010, 01:07
Ok then, let's see if everyone else is good with mid January?

Fraba
December 7th, 2010, 01:35
Mid January should be good for me....

JSRS6
December 7th, 2010, 02:01
How about everybody else?

Stephencl
December 7th, 2010, 02:05
I will be in Europe and Asia from the 17th on....so if we did it the Saturday before that, I could make it.

Stephen

M5 Eater
December 7th, 2010, 02:27
I can do mid Jan.

ben916
December 7th, 2010, 02:28
hmmm......

JSRS6
December 7th, 2010, 02:28
CW, will you be back by then? Holiday?

JSRS6
December 7th, 2010, 02:30
hmmm......

nothing to see here, just planning a mid atlantic rs6 meet...

Holiday
December 7th, 2010, 04:01
CW, will you be back by then? Holiday?

I'll be back in town after New Years...anytime mid/late Jan should work for me...

JSRS6
December 7th, 2010, 04:13
Alright, so tentatively let's say the 15th of January.

CornersWell
December 7th, 2010, 12:41
Will be back by the 15th. Should work out.

CW

JSRS6
December 7th, 2010, 13:38
Then the 15th it is. Do we want to still do the dyno day?

nistah
December 9th, 2010, 20:19
I want to come too, where will the meet take place?

JSRS6
December 9th, 2010, 20:58
That would be the next discussion point. I was thinking south of dc or Richmond.

M5 Eater
December 9th, 2010, 21:05
I can do 15 Jan. Just let me know what you all decide for a meeting place, i'm fine where ever it is.

bobski
December 12th, 2010, 15:02
I had a bad experience at Audi of Alexandria and loved HBL Tysons Corner. Very professional. Car came back very clean and the work was done well. I live in Crystal City (Arlington) and it is inconvenient to go to Tysons Corner, but it is SO much better than Audi of Alexandria.

In fact, I challenged $900 of charges from A of A and they are so disorganized they never returned my credit card company's calls, so my challenge stuck and I did not have to pay many of the overcharges and for a 45K service that the car did not need. I even put in a national complaint to Audi of America, they called the dealer and could not get a call back. Unbelievable.

JSRS6
December 12th, 2010, 16:53
So does this mean you might want to join our get together next month?

CornersWell
December 12th, 2010, 18:59
I had a bad experience at Audi of Alexandria and loved HBL Tysons Corner. Very professional. Car came back very clean and the work was done well. I live in Crystal City (Arlington) and it is inconvenient to go to Tysons Corner, but it is SO much better than Audi of Alexandria.

In fact, I challenged $900 of charges from A of A and they are so disorganized they never returned my credit card company's calls, so my challenge stuck and I did not have to pay many of the overcharges and for a 45K service that the car did not need. I even put in a national complaint to Audi of America, they called the dealer and could not get a call back. Unbelievable.

Sadly, I had a similar experience. They're TOTALLY out of control at AoAlexandria. That dealership defines the term dysfunctional.

CW

JSRS6
December 12th, 2010, 21:56
how does this sound:

Moore Automotive
9776 Lee Highway
Fairfax, VA 22031