PDA

View Full Version : News! Audi RS6 Gen 3 in development, and it's coming to the US

Erik
November 30th, 2010, 07:29
"Dear Friends,

as the secret is no longer a secret... yes- it is the new A6. You also might want to know, the RS 6 Gen3 development is already rolling... and this time it is scheduled to be also available within the USA.

Qisha "

:addict:

Please discuss! :applause:

What do you want?
What do you expect?
etc. etc.

Erik
November 30th, 2010, 07:32
I'll start guessing:

Engine: V8 TT
DSG, 8 speed
quattro

Focus on performance, rather than horsepower.

RS5_Power
November 30th, 2010, 08:11
1900 kg (a lot of carbon fiber), V8 TT 600HP 750NM, 0-100 in 4.2s, 0-200km/h in 12s flat (RS6 C6 12.8s as tested), option to unlimited to around 310km/h, Quattro 3 with crown gear differential and sport differential, magnetic ride generation 2.
What about that?

JavierNuvolari
November 30th, 2010, 12:10
Fantastic. I guess it will have almost the same horsepower with 200 kilos shaved off, 7 speed DSG, Torque Vectoring Quattro.

HKS786
November 30th, 2010, 12:23
The new A6/RS6 needs to be lighter. The current RS6 is too heavy.

CornersWell
November 30th, 2010, 13:28
FINALLY! But, if they try and price it at $150K, it's most likely going to flop. It has to be comparable to the existing competitors (E63 and M5), which would be in the $90K range. Don't know if they can do it for that. And, if they bring something that is as equally unsorted as the Mk I RS6, Audi will lose even more credibility and damage their reputation. If Audi's listening...DO IT RIGHT. No more poorly-engineered, partially-tested technologies. And, if there's a problem with it, step up.

BTW, do we know which MY the Mk III should be?

CW

JSRS6
November 30th, 2010, 13:39
I'm guessing 2012.

CornersWell
November 30th, 2010, 13:42
Ok, so if I can stretch my car to '13, maybe it's worth waiting for? Must know more, though, on the specs. Any news is welcome!

CW

JSRS6
November 30th, 2010, 14:05
I don't think you will have a problem with that once everything gets ironed out hopefully this time.

MaxRS6
November 30th, 2010, 14:15
First thoughts

1) I'd like $70K trade in value for 03 RS6-
2) 0-60 under 4.0 with kicka$$ performance of course
3) Twin Turbos or Quad :? and a boost gauge
4) Remove the pegs (used to change time, etc.) from the display area
5) Reasonable maintenance with repair items accessible (i.e. reduce labor hours for repair items that require engine pulls, etc.)
6) Diagnostic/performance displays similiar to vag-com through the display. With the ton of sensors and information on board (tranny fluid temp, brake fluid temp, engine codes, etc.)- make the information available to the driver without the need for vag-com interface. Option to configure alerts for out of parameter conditions. Scheduled service maintenance schedule and car manual and documentation viewable through the display. No reason to lug around the paper user guides and documentation.
7) Enforce areas that are prone to break (i.e. gas tank roll over valve, oil cooler tubes, etc.) with higher strength quality materials. Go ahead and spend a few more cents to avoid costly and time consuming repairs especially in areas that have limited access.
8) Internet access and live streaming/recording with cameras on board.
9) Modern sound system including record, pause, play back live broadcasts, voice activated, etc. etc.
10) Wipers hide away from windshield when not in use
11) Adjustable suspension

skribe
November 30th, 2010, 14:42
V8tt
DSG
Torque-vectoring transaxle
< 4000lbs
< $100k

Benman
November 30th, 2010, 17:34
My first post on this thread will be, Damn, I hate being wrong! I voted: "Something Else". :( :)

As for what I expect, love to see less weight up front!

Ben :addict:

Joker
November 30th, 2010, 18:01
My first post on this thread will be, Damn, I hate being wrong! I voted: "Something Else". :( :)

As for what I expect, love to see less weight up front!

Ben :addict:

Bummer, one of only two people with that opinion. :hihi:

Only kidding.

What it needs to be is

Price closer to the competition than the Mk2.
Be much lighter than before and preferable lighter than the competition.
It must have a better weight distribution than all their present RS models.
Must have the same quattro system of the RS5 including sportdiff and torque vectoring.
S-Tronic, preferably 8speed or maybe the new transmission from Lamborghini but only if smooth enough for this application.
And finally beat the M5 for driver involvement, can't stress how important this is.

Santa Qisha are you listening.

RXBG
November 30th, 2010, 19:46
DSG (i'd be ok with a variation of the lighter and quicker upcoming LP700-4 transmission) and manual option.

3900 lbs

V8T with 550 hp

new quattro with dual crown differential

widebody. widebody. widebody. fender flares. fender flares. fender flares.

what you all forget: if audi spends money to make it significantly lighter it will cost more than the competition and have to be limited in production. which also means that it will be faster than the competition at a different level of exclusivity and handle better than the competition. that is what an RS car should be. but i don't know if that is what audi is going to do.

i'd pay 125 for such a car if it weighed 3900 lbs (panamera turbo 4300 lbs and 500 hp) and made 550 hp. it'd be killer and faster than a panamera turbo S.

The RS6
November 30th, 2010, 20:31
DSG (i'd be ok with a variation of the lighter and quicker upcoming LP700-4 transmission) and manual option.

Are you seriously thinking an Audi limousine should get a lighter and quicker transmission from a Lambo hypercar? :D

Ok, I realize this is a dreamer's thread, but...seriously? :D

RXBG
November 30th, 2010, 20:45
Are you seriously thinking an Audi limousine should get a lighter and quicker transmission from a Lambo hypercar? :D

Ok, I realize this is a dreamer's thread, but...seriously? :D

i said "version". kind of like "trickle down" semantics. :addict:

Hy Octane
November 30th, 2010, 20:48
I really hope they test it for 2 years or more at speed under heavy loads etc for reliability before they release it..

mmaturo
November 30th, 2010, 22:07
DSG period...figure it out Audi...
V8TT or V10TT or SC to 600hp (somebody said boost gauge and i agree)
Obviously Quattro w Torque Vectoring / Sport Diff
19" standard this time.
Lighter/not heaver than C5 RS6 anyway
No DRC, duh...but adjustable
4.2 or better 0-60
Temp sensors that work, packaging better so entire front end does not have to come off to replace just the horn.
Price no more than $125K optioned out
Love the interior and features in the other 2012 A6 post so happy with all of that. New MMI with touch pad is perfect for me. B & O system is there so good with that. Assume voice control.
Flat bottom steering wheel with some control functions in the wheel.
Flares and more flares like C6 RS6...keep the haunches going.
Audi Exclusive...More choices or abilities to customize the interior leather/stitching for unique combos

snoopra
November 30th, 2010, 23:20
LAUNCH CONTROL!!! or at least an option for a manual trans.
+1 on 19's
600+ HP
All the other go stuff mentioned:)

SAF
December 1st, 2010, 00:05
SWEET news!

I just hope the RS steps away from the A in styling a bit more than it has in the past. Show a bit of the Beast. I'm getting tired of just a badge, ovals and the sleeper look.

skribe
December 1st, 2010, 00:29
Fully integrated fleshlight™ in the glove box.
Ricer-kontrol oil slick/tack deployment system.
Power vented flatulator elimination system in driver and passengers seats.
Integrated xTenz dispenser for driver compensation reduction
Hard wired butt-dyno that auto-uploads to forums

And a bunch of other stuff I'm still working on.

eurotunedrs6
December 1st, 2010, 01:17
Great news! Boosted engine for sure, and aggresive styling as an RS car should be.

sallyh
December 1st, 2010, 11:01
Hi all

I think Audi have kind of backed themselves into a corner as regards the "new" RS6. The current C6 RS6 is absolutely great in terms of horsepower, interior look, quattro feel, and classy understated exterior looks. And you can tune it to do more! Whatever Audi comes up with for the new one should really distill what the RS6 is all about. And that's not just about beating the Panamera or M5 or the Mercedes offering - none of which I'd even consider buying. There is something unique about the RS6, whether the V8 or the V10, or I suppose where it all started with the RS2. Can't quite say what it is. Anyway, perhaps it will be electric?

tailpipe
December 1st, 2010, 11:19
V8tt
DSG
Torque-vectoring transaxle
< 4000lbs
< $100k

This is spot on.

I think there are two essential details contained within your requirements, skribe, that will ensure the RS6 Gen 3's success. One is weight reduction. The other is price. I'd like to see the next RS6 weigh significantly less than current one. With aluminium being used more widely across the Audi range, economies of scale should allow for additional lightweight components to be easily incorporated. Add a lighter 4.0-litre twin-turbo developing 550 bhp and you should achieve the required weight target. If the RS6 can come in under €90,000, then it well sell much more widely. This is simple microeconomics.

I really like the look of the new A6. The front end is very sharp. The interior seems very driver focused. Can't wait to see the Avant.

Most of all, i can't wait to see the 4.0-litre V8.

At the moment, if you want a really fast 4x4 wagon to get you to the mountains in style and comfort, the only viable option is the Porsche Cayenne Turbo. The new RS6 should change that and at a significantly lower price and with better economy.

BTW, i was also wrong: I thought it was the S7/ RS7. Looks like Quattroholic was right: it was he current A6 under the blanket pretending to be the new one. The curved LEDs prove that, don't they?

FlipRS6
December 2nd, 2010, 02:48
I want it to look like it would kick the A$$ of everything else on the road... i.e. low stance, wide body, large flares, 20" wheels.

And then i want it to actually kick the A$$ of everything on the road.... i.e. 600hp + or whatever it takes to out perform mercedes, and bmw

Torque Vectoring, active suspension with variable settings, and the same frickin seats they get in europe

4everRS
December 2nd, 2010, 04:14
Good news in the below article. Last paragraph. 2.0 TDI at less that 3500 lbs. They've got to be able to get a TT V8 in there for well under 4000 lbs.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/110120129830/2012-audi-a6-official-details-released---in-depth-videos