PDA

View Full Version : Performance upgrade phases for the C5 RS6

DonS
November 29th, 2010, 16:26
Back in the day I upgraded my Nissan 300Zx following Nismo and JDM's upgrade phases. Engine Phase I was air intake, Phase 2 was exhaust and chip upgrades. Suspension Phase I was brake pads, Phase 2 was stainless brake lines, Phase 3 shocks and springs. I am sure many of you know exactly what I mean. MTM has something on thier website (http://www.mtm-online.de/en/Audi/RS6/4-2-T-331-kW-450-hp-Quattro?FZID=RS6331Q). Can we come to a consensus of Engine and Drivetrain performance upgrade phases for the C5 RS6? Maybe we can price them and even provide dyno estimates.

I am sure many of our RS6's need a couple of gifts with Christmas coming up.

DHall1
November 29th, 2010, 16:49
Don,

Its funny, I still have my Supra turbo HKS Stage 7++. I sold my Supra twin turbo at Stage 3 because the prices went thru the roof after that and some guy offered my 5k more than I had in the car. Money talks.

Consensus? From our group? I cant get one data log or dyno graph from any MTM, GIAC or Revo owners.

marklar182
November 29th, 2010, 17:30
MTM/Sportec are really the only tuners that have stages for the RS6.

I am a Z32 guy as well, I ran out of stages on that car :)

DonS
November 29th, 2010, 17:35
Maybe we don't define the chip until all the data is in, but what stage is the chip?

JSRS6
November 29th, 2010, 17:37
depends on the tune. Id say most of the tunes are stage 1.

JSRS6
November 29th, 2010, 17:38
Perhaps we could adopt the basic model from the 2.7t guys, where of course there are plentiful parts available for modifications.

JSRS6
November 29th, 2010, 17:41
depends on the tune. Id say most of the tunes are stage 1.

On that note, however, say your have the stage 1 tune and you install downpipes and maybe some better fueling. then you get a remap, that would be a stage 2 tune. most of us are going to have some "homebrew" homogolation regardless.

JSRS6
November 29th, 2010, 18:18
And stage 3 would be the culmination of bigger turbos, manifolds, downpipes, fueling, intercoolers, pads/rotors/lines, vents, suspension, exhaust, and tuning. Of course the 1+, 2+, and 3+ would apply if in-between stages.

DonS
November 29th, 2010, 18:39
I like JSRS6 list, but could we break from tradition and do baby steps. Most will combine steps with the "while we're in there" attitude. Others might need to break up the more expnsive traditional steps into smaller, more afforadble ones. Here's my quick WAG.

Engine
Stage 1: ECU upgrade (do with Drivetrain Stage 1)
Stage 2: Larger fuel injectors with appropriately modified tune
Stage 3: Downpipes, gutted or cat bypass with appropriate modified tune
Stage 4: Larger intercoolers
Stage 5: Improved intake manifold
Stage 6: Larger turbos (see Stage X cooling vents)
Stage 7: Powder coated valve covers +10HP (just checking if you are reading this).

Drivetrain:
Stage 1: TCU Upgrade
Stage 2: Improved brake pads
Stage 3: Improved brake hardware (venting, rotors, stainless steel lines).
Stage 4: Springs and shocks
Stage 5: Wheels and tires
Stage 6: Hood and underpan cooling vents

JSRS6
November 29th, 2010, 18:53
Lol, so if you have leaking stock intercoolers, does that subtract a stage? LMAO

DHall1
November 29th, 2010, 18:59
Reply in text below

I like JSRS6 list, but could we break from tradition and do baby steps. Most will combine steps with the "while we're in there" attitude. Others might need to break up the more expnsive traditional steps into smaller, more afforadble ones. Here's my quick WAG.

Engine
Stage 1: ECU upgrade (do with Drivetrain Stage 1)Yep, simple enough
Stage 2: Larger fuel injectors with appropriately modified tune. Nope, you will hardly ever see anyone install larger injectors. Its just not needed without a turbo upgrade
Stage 3: Downpipes, gutted or cat bypass with appropriate modified tuneThis should be Stage 2
Stage 4: Larger intercoolersThis should be Stage 1+
Stage 5: Improved intake manifoldThis should come well after a turbo/injector/transmission upgrade
Stage 6: Larger turbos (see Stage X cooling vents)We have 2 or 3 members here. We will hardly ever see anyone with larger turbos.
Stage 7: Powder coated valve covers +10HP (just checking if you are reading this).

Drivetrain:

DonS
November 29th, 2010, 19:30
Engine Performance Upgrade Stages
Stage 1: ECU upgrade (do with Drivetrain Stage 1) ($$)
Stage 2: Larger intercoolers ($$)
Stage 3: Downpipes, gutted or cat bypass with appropriate modified tune ($$)

Big buck range
Stage 4: Larger turbos (see Stage X cooling vents) ($$$$$)
Stage 5: Larger fuel injectors with appropriately modified tune. ($$$)
Stage 6: Improved intake manifold ($$)

Drivetrain:
Stage 1: TCU Upgrade ($)
Stage 2: Improved brake pads ($)
Stage 3: Improved brake hardware (venting, rotors, stainless steel lines). ($$)
Stage 4: Springs and shocks ($$$)
Stage 5: Wheels and tires ($$$)
Stage 6: Hood and underpan cooling vents ($$)

$ 0-1000
$$ 1001-2000
$$$

More fine tuning (pun intended) is required. Next would be horsepower\performance gains and vendor choices..

PALETTE
November 29th, 2010, 20:14
Reply in text below

note to self: below is a phrase that is not in my vocabulary.... <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Stage 6: Larger turbos (see Stage X cooling vents)We have 2 or 3 members here. We will hardly ever see anyone with larger turbos. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
There will be 2 members here with larger turbo's soon.....<o:p></o:p>

In my opinion and i'm new to the RS6 but been playing with Turbo cars now for 24 years,

stage 1- Tune / Exhaust / gut cats or replace with hi-flow versions
Stage 2- Intercoolers and upgade hose's and clamps
Stage 3 - Turbos and Fuel system
Stage 4- btw for me it would be to Retune the car others might say not needed but it is once you swap injectors and Turbos you need it.

I am going to hope that the transmition will hold up as well as the converter - if not then that would be stage 3

JRS-RS6
November 29th, 2010, 23:48

Engine
Stage 1: ECU upgrade (do with Drivetrain Stage 1)
Stage 2: Larger fuel injectors with appropriately modified tune
Stage 3: Downpipes, gutted or cat bypass with appropriate modified tune
Stage 4: Larger intercoolers
Stage 5: Improved intake manifold
Stage 6: Larger turbos (see Stage X cooling vents)

Drivetrain:

Engine Stages: 1, 4, and 7 (just checking too) -- puts that at Stage 12 correct?
Drivetrain Stages: 1, 2, 5, and half of 6 -- puts that at Stage 11

For a grand total of Stage 23! Exit Stage left.................. with one blown transmission (what Stage was that?).

dreadlocks
November 29th, 2010, 23:59
Phase I - Save up a bunch of money and blow it on a few small modifications
Phase II - Save up a bunch more money and make it faster
Phase II+ - Get a divorce
Phase III - Instead of buying a new car you spend that money on your old car and its totally insane.
Phase IV - Youve gone insane along with your car, enjoy the crazy before your deemed a hazard to society.

Been there, done that..

4everRS
November 30th, 2010, 00:21
Sounds like someone might not be getting a lot of sleep lately.
Phase I - Save up a bunch of money and blow it on a few small modifications
Phase II - Save up a bunch more money and make it faster
Phase II+ - Get a divorce
Phase III - Instead of buying a new car you spend that money on your old car and its totally insane.
Phase IV - Youve gone insane along with your car, enjoy the crazy before your deemed a hazard to society.

Been there, done that..