PDA

View Full Version : Ace Converter/Edge Racing

toddc
November 21st, 2010, 18:02
Hello All,
I just wanted to let everyone to know about the positive experience I had in dealing with Andre from Ace Converters/Edge Racing. A very knowledgeable and user friendly guy, with an excellent product that I would highly recommend to anyone. I sent him my used core back the other day, so he now will have a RS6 specific core on hand for you guys needing a rebuilt unit up front.

-Todd

DHall1
November 21st, 2010, 18:06
What does the Ace rebuild offer over and above the new updated Audi TC?

toddc
November 21st, 2010, 18:15
What does the Ace rebuild offer over and above the new updated Audi TC?

In one word..........longevity. Also the ability to tune for your specific engine/tranny mods.

Stephencl
November 21st, 2010, 19:35
Todd,

Please elaborate....by the way, did you do your own wrenching to remove? Thanks ahead of time.

Stephen

toddc
November 21st, 2010, 19:52
I won't pretend to understand all the inner workings of a TQ, but Andre cryo treats them for metallurgy, upgrades the bearings, tightens up the internal tolerances, upgrades the seal, and can fine tune the stall speed and torque multiplication ratios. If given the opportunity to replace a failed or failing component, I'll always take the option of upgrading at the same time, especially when its half the price of oem.
I initally was going to do the R&R of the TQ myself, I even purchased a transverse engine bar, but after a moment of clarity, I decided to have a shop that specializes in german cars do the repair. BTW, the shop initially tried to remove the tranny by itself, but couldn't get to some of the bolts on the right side turbo, so they eventually just ended up pulling the motor and tranny as a combo.

DHall1
November 22nd, 2010, 01:15
Tozo does each one of his transmission rebuilds without pulling the engine.

Pat had his TC replaced without pulling the engine.

DHall1
November 22nd, 2010, 01:16
Todd,

Those are all good points. How did the TC turn out for you? Did you change anything on the stall speed?

I won't pretend to understand all the inner workings of a TQ, but Andre cryo treats them for metallurgy, upgrades the bearings, tightens up the internal tolerances, upgrades the seal, and can fine tune the stall speed and torque multiplication ratios. If given the opportunity to replace a failed or failing component, I'll always take the option of upgrading at the same time, especially when its half the price of oem.
I initally was going to do the R&R of the TQ myself, I even purchased a transverse engine bar, but after a moment of clarity, I decided to have a shop that specializes in german cars do the repair. BTW, the shop initially tried to remove the tranny by itself, but couldn't get to some of the bolts on the right side turbo, so they eventually just ended up pulling the motor and tranny as a combo.

toddc
November 22nd, 2010, 01:30
Tozo does each one of his transmission rebuilds without pulling the engine.

Pat had his TC replaced without pulling the engine.

Yeah, it was the shop's intent to do it that way....but this was their first RS6. The mechanic said it may be possible, but he would have spent more time and frustration set in, so the whole motor came out for the job.

toddc
November 22nd, 2010, 01:37
I opted to retain the stock stall speed...or very close to it. When Andre "tightens" up the internal clearances, it effects stall speed, so he has to compensate by making adjustements to the stator....IIRC. I haven't had a chance to really flog the car yet, we have about a foot of snow on the ground, but initial thoughts are that the acceration has improved slightly and lock-up is a bit more subtle. I'll be sending my TCU off to Hoppen next week for the MTM upgrade.

-Todd

V8weight
November 22nd, 2010, 01:51
I opted to retain the stock stall speed...or very close to it. When Andre "tightens" up the internal clearances, it effects stall speed, so he has to compensate by making adjustements to the stator....IIRC. I haven't had a chance to really flog the car yet, we have about a foot of snow on the ground, but initial thoughts are that the acceration has improved slightly and lock-up is a bit more subtle. I'll be sending my TCU off to Hoppen next week for the MTM upgrade.

-Todd
Given the opportunity, I probably would have done the same. When you increase the the stall speed, you increase heat as well. It would be nice to up the stall a bit, but you would have to increase the cooling as well. Then you have to worry about placing additional coolers in front of the radiator/ condenser, whole "nuther" can of worms.

FlipRS6
November 22nd, 2010, 02:01
What causes the Torque Converter to fail? is it driving style? and what can be done to ensure the longevity of your TC?

V8weight
November 22nd, 2010, 02:10
What causes the Torque Converter to fail? is it driving style? and what can be done to ensure the longevity of your TC?
Driving style can play a factor, too much brake boosting can obviously be harmful. The real killer on our factory installed converters was obviously the poorly designed stator seal, which bled pressure. I would suggest regular fluid changes. I flush mine every 20k with the BND Quantum Blue trans fluid.

TozoM8
November 22nd, 2010, 02:31
Here is some info for the curious minds. http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/msgs/17456.phtml RS6 converter is basically the same design, but it has a dual clutch.

Stephencl
November 22nd, 2010, 03:41
Aweome write up....can I just tell you how much I love your six speed S8....everytime I see your interior photos, I long to have my 2001 S8 back.....I especially miss the cool Euro Carbon trim and the vents on the sides of the B pillars..

Stephen

TozoM8
November 22nd, 2010, 04:16
Thanks, I like it too. I've recently throw a couple of turbos on it so it pulls as it should :) http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/msgs/35927.phtml

V8weight
November 22nd, 2010, 04:29
Thanks, I like it too. I've recently throw a couple of turbos on it so it pulls as it should :) http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/msgs/35927.phtml
That is freaking awesome. Have you swapped out the injectors yet? Would the RS6 injectors swap in? They god awful expensive, don't ask me how I know.

4everRS
November 22nd, 2010, 04:33
I thought I noticed you changed your sig a couple weeks ago. Great work. So if someone were to bring you an S8, how much $ to do the 6 speed and twins?

TozoM8
November 22nd, 2010, 04:34
I swapped the injectors with 350cc S4 injectors. The RS6 injectors (420cc) are VERY expensive.

V8weight
November 22nd, 2010, 04:36
I swapped the injectors with 350cc S4 injectors. The RS6 injectors (420cc) are VERY expensive.
Yup, I can't stress enough the importance of NOT dropping one of them while changing out the O-rings. :/