PDA

View Full Version : Parktronics - replacing speaker

Aronis
November 21st, 2010, 13:38
Hi,

My parktronics speaker has failed and I am about to remove the hat tray on the back window to change the speaker. (dumb design, more later).

I looked at the panel from the trunk and cannot see any bolts sticking through in the area where the speaker is said to be in the Bentley Manual.

On the sedan the directions say remove BOLTS, but on the AVANT it says unsnap!?!?

What I DO SEE IS TWO PLASTIC TABS which are in the rough area of where the speaker is supposed to be and need to confirm that that speaker is NOT bolted in in the RS6 so I can just avoid removing the hat tray and just pop the speaker out from underneath.

So...

Has anyone actually replaced their parktronics speaker and can confirm how it is mounted?

Mike

PS....dumb design, WTF, it should be designed to be replaced from underneath. What are they thinking? It must fail a fair amount of times on there entire line (A8, A6, A4 etc, why not make it easy to access if its not a big deal to design that way? There are plenty of holes in that panel and the speaker could be mounted from below with bolts while the rest of it sits up in the same space and you could swap it out in 28.2 seconds! Why CREATE a costly repair with two hours of labor getting to a $20 part?

Aronis
November 21st, 2010, 17:41
First, these two plastic tabs are actually the inserts into which the two screws are screwed.

I cut them off and released the two screws

Aronis
November 21st, 2010, 17:44
Then I fished the speaker out along with the wire harness (two conductors)

The wire had plus 12 v with the car parked and running. In reverse the voltage varied, but I am not sure how the device creates the beeping sequence (more frequent for closer object.)

I'm going to get the replacement part tomorrow.

Taking out the Hat Tray is a SUCKERS job.....this part should have been mounted from underneath anyway.

Mike