PDA

View Full Version : VAG-COM Error Code Help - 17087

cmore
November 20th, 2010, 19:30
Today my ABS light and stability/traction control light came on at the same time, but the car seemed to drive fine. I scanned for codes and got this:

Control Module Part Number: 4B0 927 156 FL
Component and/or Version: AG5 01L 4.2l5VT USA 0305
Software Coding: 0000022
Work Shop Code: WSC 02195
1 Fault Found:
17087 - Brake Switch B Circuit Malfunction
P0703 - 003 - Mechanical Failure

I am unable to clear the codes from the transmission control unit and the 17087 keeps coming back right away.

Is this really a break switch problem or a bad transmission?

Thanks,
Chris

twinsteve
November 20th, 2010, 21:07
Today my ABS light and stability/traction control light came on at the same time, but the car seemed to drive fine. I scanned for codes and got this:

Control Module Part Number: 4B0 927 156 FL
Component and/or Version: AG5 01L 4.2l5VT USA 0305
Software Coding: 0000022
Work Shop Code: WSC 02195
1 Fault Found:
17087 - Brake Switch B Circuit Malfunction
P0703 - 003 - Mechanical Failure

I am unable to clear the codes from the transmission control unit and the 17087 keeps coming back right away.

Is this really a break switch problem or a bad transmission?

Thanks,
Chris

I am on my third brake light switch.....easy/cheap fix

cmore
November 21st, 2010, 00:08
Why would this fault code make my ABS and traction control light turn on? Where is the brake light switch? Under the dash?

Are you sure from these codes that it is not my transmission? Seems like these codes happen a lot with a tranny on the way out.

Thanks!

V8weight
November 21st, 2010, 01:18
As Twinsteve said, this is you lucky day. Your brake light switch is bad, it's cheap, and it's easy to replace. Your abs and esp light came on because...........your brake input is monitored by the abs and esp, go figure. Search brake light switch, and you will find a picture write up on how to remove the lower dash cover and how to replace it, it's attached to the brake pedal assembly.

as350
November 21st, 2010, 03:15
Yes, what others have said. A very easy way to confirm that it's your brake light switch located on the brake pedal assembly, is to try to use your cruise control. If your cruise control doesn't work, it's your brake switch.

TozoM8
November 21st, 2010, 04:13
The 17087 code comes on if you start the car without holding the brake. If you turn the car off and start it with the brake pressed it will clear the code and it will not come back unles you start without brake.

JRS-RS6
November 21st, 2010, 13:36
The 17087 code comes on if you start the car without holding the brake. If you turn the car off and start it with the brake pressed it will clear the code and it will not come back unles you start without brake.

Is that really true? Let me see -- Do I put my foot on the brake when I start the car or not? Since most of my other cars have been stick I guess I do.

V8weight
November 21st, 2010, 18:18
I don't know about that, I reach in and start my car every morning and afternoon to let it warm up. My car is rarely started with me in it, and my foot on the brake.

toddc
November 21st, 2010, 18:25
Yeah, I've heard the same thing repeated here before and I'm not buying it.....I start my car everytime with my foot off the brake and have never coded because of it.

-Todd

TozoM8
November 21st, 2010, 19:37
Scroll down to the middle (2.7) of the page.
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_2.html

maverik09
November 24th, 2010, 08:02
Another simple fix that worked for me with 100% certainty when I had this problem, girlfriend to myself while following me home about 3 days after it started, "Hey, your brake lights aren't working." :doh:

ben916
November 24th, 2010, 19:29
Yeah, I've heard the same thing repeated here before and I'm not buying it.....I start my car everytime with my foot off the brake and have never coded because of it.

-Todd

I do the same thing:
1. unlock the doors/truck
2. put all the crap in the trunk
3. the girls (8yo/4yo) open the rear doors and get into their PINK car seats.
4. Passenger door is opened by me, I start the car up by leaning over; to warm it while I buckle the kids
5. buckle the kids.
6. squeege the windows
7. get in, turn on the rear defogger and heat
8. she kicks down from high idle and off we go.

Also didn't Joshua investigate the VIPER app that would start your car from your phone - there seemed to be an issue of immobilizer or door locks or something...

JSRS6
November 24th, 2010, 19:44
That is correct, Ben. I had the Viper Smart Start system installed back in the summer. The only issue is i have to unlock the car with the remote, THEN remote start the car. Then lock again. If i dont, the car will start, but the alarm will go off because the car thinks its being stolen. I can still unlock the car and it stops the alarm. Never coded from the brake not being depressed either, regardless of how its started.

JSRS6
November 24th, 2010, 19:48
Oh, and a great feature with the immobilizer defeat module, is that the spare key fob chip is actually inside, so when it remote starts, it sets the memory to whatever you have set. So i remote start the car, and before putting my key in the ignition, i can set the car up how i want. and then everytime i remote start the car, those values are set(seats, climate, mirrors, etc...)

JSRS6
November 24th, 2010, 19:49
Also didn't Joshua investigate the VIPER app that would start your car from your phone - there seemed to be an issue of immobilizer or door locks or something...

Lol, ive been "investigating" it for about 6 months now!

4everRS
November 25th, 2010, 05:07
The AstroStart brand does this as well. I had it in my old A6. The installer had to set it up so when the "start" button was pressed, the car would first unlock, then start, then lock. He set it so it would run for 15 mins and shut off if I didn't have the key in the ignition by then.

I was thinking about having it put on the beast, but the 400 bucks happened to be spent on a different item:hahahehe:

JSRS6
November 25th, 2010, 17:41
Mine is preset at 12 min. And I love being able to start my car from anywhere I get a signal on my iPhone.