PDA

View Full Version : Winter tires hard to find

LIRS6
November 9th, 2010, 19:13
Why is it virtually impossible to find 225 x 45 x 18 XL (99) rated winter tires ? Anyone have any luck out there? Tire Rack, Discount Tire .. no luck save some 95 rated tires. What's the minimum load rating we could/should consider?

twinsteve
November 9th, 2010, 22:17
I solved for this by moving to Atlanta!

JSRS6
November 9th, 2010, 22:31
I solved for this by moving to Atlanta!

That will be my solution as well next year, kinda. Looking at getting back down to Jacksonville.

mballard73
November 9th, 2010, 23:31
LIRS6, You May have missed these at Tire Rack, the Michelin's look pretty good and there are 4 different snow tires this size XL rated in this search.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?search=true&performance=W&width=225%2F&ratio=45&diameter=18&x=20&y=8

Cheers,

Mark

mballard73
November 9th, 2010, 23:48
OK, they aren't "99" rated, even though they are XL in my url.
Not sure if the XL 95's rated at 1521 pounds will be safe or not. 99's go up to 1709 pounds per Tire Rack

Cheers,

Mark

mballard73
November 9th, 2010, 23:56
BTW, I found this post on AudiWorld Forum.

I just got a CPO RS6 ('03), and want a set of winter wheels/tires. My biggest priority is performance on ice, which we get a lot where I live in Michigan. I was thinking of 18" wheels, once I make certain that my choice will fit the RS6.

The OEM tires are 255/40-18, and have an XL load rating, with service description of 99. (The RS6 is a heavy car.) The TireRack website lists an alternate 18" size, 225/45-18.

Here are my questions:

Does the alternate size have the same rolling diameter?

Would you personally choose the alternate for snows for better winter performance? (I know it wouldn't look as good.)

Choosing the alternate size expands my choices from just the Blizzak LM-25 to include the Dunlop M3. It seems that reviewers are more enthusiastic about the Dunlop. However, both tires in the alternate size have a service description of 95V, less than the stock 99. (The LM-25 is 99V in the OEM size.) Would the alternate size be a safe alternative for such a heavy car?

Do you have any personal preference for the Dunlop versus the Blizzak given my winter driving conditions?

Also, should any of the 18" tires fit on any 18" wheel I buy? (Or do I have to worry about the width of the wheel.)

Thanks.

Yes, the 225/45R18 has the same overall diameter of 26" .

Given that the tires in these sizes are high performance snow tires, I'd personally go to the more narrow size for better snow traction.

95 load rating works fine on this application.

Both have been very good tires. We've had a bit better experience in snow capablity with the LM25, which feedback in dry grip has been a bit better with the M3.

As long as the wheel that you choose is between 7" and 8.5" these will work well.
winter

Gary@Tirerack.com
Tire and Wheel Forum Moderator
The Tire Rack, Sales Rep
Reference 'Gary/Audiworld' as 'previous contact' when you order at our site.
The TireRack Tech Center
1-877-522-8473 ext 386

So 95 Service Rating may actual work fine.

Mark

4everRS
November 10th, 2010, 01:29
Not just winter tires hard to find. Talk to any Trucking company. There is a big shortage in rubber due to cost cutting initiatives started as the recession loomed last year. The demand has gone up faster that the manufacturer's thought and they were gun shy betting that things would get better.

Anyway, I was able to get a set of Hankook Icebears a couple months ago and am very happy with the dry performance so far. Not noisy, and the wear seems good for winters. I have admittedly had them on for too much of the fair-weather months (long story). Problem now is, they are hard to get. Just had a rep call to follow up on an inquiry made a while back, and Hankook is currently working on distributing what they have made so far.

gregoryindiana
November 10th, 2010, 03:13
I just went with the 255/40 x18 and got the Blizzaks from Tire Rack.

Sure the narrower profile might be better at the absolute limit for snow traction, but with Quattro and Blizzaks all around, I'll take my chances. I'm betting that ground clearance in a reallly bad snowstrom will be a problem before traction is!

Aronis
November 10th, 2010, 14:40
Dunlop's in the 255 40 18 are great!

I've been using them since I got my RS6

The current set I have has three winters on them and still plenty of thread for at least one more.

Why do you want the narrower size?

I tried to get the narrow ones when I first go the car (in December LOL) and could only get them in the wider size (same as the summer tires). I found to my delight that the extra width has not been a problem. The only winter issue I had was back in Feb 06 when I had trouble getting up a hill which had about 9 inches of fresh snow. I got up there, but when I took my car in for vehicle inspection that next week I found out that the REAR snows were COMPLETELY bald. So it was not the snows but the fact that they were bald LOL....)

Mike

Aronis
November 10th, 2010, 14:41
PS they are speed rated to 130 mph and the dry weather grip is still pretty good.

LIRS6
November 10th, 2010, 20:50
Why do you want the narrower size?

Simply 'cuz that's what I've been using for past 6 winter seasons. But GregoryIndiana makes a good point about ground clearance .. with my Stasis-Ohlins set-up, I'm riding fairly low
already...I'll reconsider using 255's. Thanks.

Aronis
November 12th, 2010, 19:03
So the narrower size will fix that? If you end up with a taller TIRE you'll have rubbing!

The wider snows already rub and are actually a bit taller than the summer tires, a difference of about 1/2 in when brand new (dealer tried to blame the DRC issue on that tire size difference!).

So if I understand you correctly you expect to get some more ground clearance on your LOWERED car by adding a tire/wheel combination which is taller?

You already have decreased the distance between your wheel well and the tire/wheel by lowering the car, so a taller tire may rub. If you are looking for the narrower to be sure to clear the inner suspension parts, then I could understand that. But the fender edge may rub also!

Mike

speedtrapped
November 12th, 2010, 19:12
i went w/ 225/45r-18 Pirelli Winter 240 sottozero 2 XL, $174 each

LIRS6
November 12th, 2010, 22:06
So the narrower size will fix that? If you end up with a taller TIRE you'll have rubbing!

The wider snows already rub and are actually a bit taller than the summer tires, a difference of about 1/2 in when brand new (dealer tried to blame the DRC issue on that tire size difference!).

So if I understand you correctly you expect to get some more ground clearance on your LOWERED car by adding a tire/wheel combination which is taller?

You already have decreased the distance between your wheel well and the tire/wheel by lowering the car, so a taller tire may rub. If you are looking for the narrower to be sure to clear the inner suspension parts, then I could understand that. But the fender edge may rub also!

Mike

No - the point is that with narrower tires, the car will sink into the snow a bit more that it would with wider tires. Less sinking = more ground clearance. I am not anticipating rubbing issues with the 255-40's. And 225 x 45 is the same circumference as 255 x 40, if I am not mistaken.

Skaala
November 14th, 2010, 21:04
I have used the previous model of Michelin X-Ice Xi2 on my RS2 and can absolutelt recommend them. I ran 225/40/17 on it. Now i run Nokian Hakkapeliita on all the cars (hands down the best winter tires available), but I guess finnish Nokian tires are hard to come by outside Scandinavia....

JRS-RS6
November 14th, 2010, 23:26
I have used the previous model of Michelin X-Ice Xi2 on my RS2 and can absolutelt recommend them. I ran 225/40/17 on it. Now i run Nokian Hakkapeliita on all the cars (hands down the best winter tires available), but I guess finnish Nokian tires are hard to come by outside Scandinavia....

I remember these (Nokian Hakkapeliitas) in Vermont in the early 90s. The ads on the radio were Father Guido Sarducci ( http://fathersarducci.com/ ) from SNL.

gregoryindiana
November 15th, 2010, 03:31
The Nokian tires are highly thought of for winter. There are some of them available in the USA, but only in certain sizes; not for the RS6 in 255/40 18. Didn't look at other sizes.