PDA

View Full Version : Precat gutting? and tuning

vw-nut
November 9th, 2010, 02:49
Due to some unfortunate T.C. issues I have pulled the motor and trans for a rebuild by tozo, happens to be done and on the way back to me now.
Im doing all maintnence and mods now obviously no time like motor being out...duh..
O2's, turbo cartridges, starter, alt, timing and water stuff, all inaccesable hoses and lines, powdercoating stuff, plugs, packs.....etc...
I cant afford down pipes now but Im an amazing faricator welder mechanic and can seriously make anything here in my shop. already have fabbed a beautiful 2.5" x piped complete exhaust cat back...

questions...
can I gut my pre cats without an aftermarket tune?
...will O2 spacers work to pull the O2 out of the flow a bit (has worked on previous cars) vw's

if gutting will work with no tune and no dreaded CEL then heck why not fab up some complete downpipes?

now the opinion part.... having just dropped over 5k in parts and rebuild alone the pockets are light, there is a fellow on here selling a ecu/tcu OCT. tuned combo for what i consider to be a reasonable price... opinions on this tune..
are there better tunes and or companies?
cost is a factor tho.. dont really want to drop 2500-3000 on tune....

thanks glenn

vw-nut
November 9th, 2010, 02:52
And yes I know this is my first post..... I lurk look and learn not post....
any help would be great this forum is hands down the best resource for our 6....

vw-nut
November 9th, 2010, 03:02
heres a link to my last build....100% start to finish by me...
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4734262-GTI-MK4-widebody-big-(medium)-turbo-complete-build-thread...pics-galore

and my humble little company
http://www.wheeldoctorohio.com/

just so you know im not some flaky poster talking poo...

V8weight
November 9th, 2010, 03:09
Obviously, your best bet is to have the secondary O2 sensors ignored via a tune. The spacers will do the trick, but why not just relocate the O2's downstream from the main cat's? There's nothing to gain from removing the main cats, the increase in power comes from deleting the pre-cats. I run sans pre-cats on my car, but have the O2's coded out.

speedtrapped
November 9th, 2010, 03:42
There are a lot of choices to tune your car. O.ct tune I know nothing about, but I know the price he is offering is good. That said cost effective I went with eurocharge tune, I love it, huge midrange power, I run everything else stock. I got my tcu tune at hoppen(mtm) for 169.00, and the eurocharge tune retails $600.00. Pat and others went with viper, he tunes ecu, and tcu I think all in under 2000.00. Pat and company love it and can talk about power etc.

V8weight
November 9th, 2010, 03:57
There are a lot of choices to tune your car. O.ct tune I know nothing about, but I know the price he is offering is good. That said cost effective I went with eurocharge tune, I love it, huge midrange power, I run everything else stock. I got my tcu tune at hoppen(mtm) for 169.00, and the eurocharge tune retails $600.00. Pat and others went with viper, he tunes ecu, and tcu I think all in under 2000.00. Pat and company love it and can talk about power etc.
You're missing the first 4 months of the story, I went with Viper after "trying" to go Eurocharged for an entire summer.

4everRS
November 9th, 2010, 04:15
So Stephen, do you know if the secondary O2 is deleted in the EC tune?

DHall1
November 9th, 2010, 05:37
Did someone say tuning?

Who has all the data logs that tell the real story?

speedtrapped
November 9th, 2010, 13:11
So Stephen, do you know if the secondary O2 is deleted in the EC tune?

I do not, but I am sure Dave could answer that, if not Jerry @EC is a call away

Stephencl
November 9th, 2010, 14:38
heres a link to my last build....100% start to finish by me...
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4734262-GTI-MK4-widebody-big-(medium)-turbo-complete-build-thread...pics-galore

and my humble little company
http://www.wheeldoctorohio.com/

just so you know im not some flaky poster talking poo...

Wow, your skills are off the chart....we should get you working on vented hoods :). Your VW pictorial is one of the finest I have ever seen. I was blown away by the exhuast work. Just tremendous imagination. Welcome here.

Stephen

JSRS6
November 9th, 2010, 15:21
I do not, but I am sure Dave could answer that, if not Jerry @EC is a call away

I talked to Jerry, and he can disable those inputs to the ecu, as well as compensate for the increased flow with a little extra juice!

vw-nut
November 9th, 2010, 18:27
just got a pm from the gentleman selling the oct ecu tcu setup he belives it is stage 2 and should be cat delete I guess worse case I send it off to oct and get a reflash? who knows.... im coming from a past of vw tuning and I can answer all my own questions for them but the audi scene is very new to me.....
Ill do some more homework....

as to the fabrication thing thanks for the compliment on my dub car.. and yes Iam going to do some hood venting I understand these rs6 cars make some stupid underhood heat, I aqquired some m3 hood vents from a 2010 M3 and plan to do an install just before I paint the car and do a few mods to the outside.

I appreciate the help and input so far.

V8weight
November 9th, 2010, 18:36
as to the fabrication thing thanks for the compliment on my dub car.. and yes Iam going to do some hood venting I understand these rs6 cars make some stupid underhood heat, I aqquired some m3 hood vents from a 2010 M3 and plan to do an install just before I paint the car and do a few mods to the outside.

I appreciate the help and input so far.
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/20...portec+cooling (http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/20630-Sportec-lower-air-vent-mod?highlight=sportec+cooling)

speedtrapped
November 9th, 2010, 18:49
Pat I am actually finishing up the sport tech mod today. I also wanted to see the source of my oil leak....there was a very small amount in shield, i rechecked oil plu(tight w/ new seal), rechecked oil pan bolts-tight....I think the oil change was sloppy or due to the stress from last dyno, i maybe leaking from VC, hard to tell unless I pull off the air box etc....either way there was just a small amount. The mod is easy, just got wrong size rivets. will post pic tonight...great write up and mod Pat

Stephencl
November 9th, 2010, 22:38
Oooooooo....M3 vents. That might look very cool. Take a look at Headshots vents, they are the most discrete/tastefull I have seen. I just don't have the guts to make the cuts in my own hood. Maybe I can bring my car to you?

Stephen

snoopra
November 9th, 2010, 23:27
All I can say is WOW! and welcome! and don't stop posting progress on the hood vents:) and....well, outstanding job fabbing:)