PDA

View Full Version : Air compressor useful -- try yours now

JAXRS6
September 23rd, 2003, 07:20
A slow leak in my right rear Pirelli led to my unpacking & using the air compressor that comes standard with the RS6 in the U.S. (so that the deflated spare can be inflated). Observations:

Mine compressor was tough to release from its velcro grip. Apparently, velcro means the same as superglue in German. (Seriously, I would not want to be trying to get the compressor out for the first time in adverse conditions such as rain or snow; it took 3 minutes or more to get it loose. Also, its location -- tucked in a black passenger side compartment of the black trunk -- requires use of a flashlight for enough visibility at night.)

Once I got it loose, operation was easy: Twist the valve end onto the tire valve, then plug it into one of the cigarette lighters & switch it on. It's a bit noisy -- won't be appreciated by neighbors at 3 a.m. -- but it works. As warned in the literature, tho, don't operate it for more than 5 minutes or it may overheat.

Getting the electric wire and air hose packed back into the box provided was a little tricky. The box itself is about the size of an abbreviated old 8-track tape player, if you can imagine that -- pretty compact, I thought.

At first I was bummed about needing a compressor at all; the deflated spare is a necessary evil IMO. But it's better than no spare, a la Corvette (and E55 IIRC), and as I discovered, the compressor can be very useful even when the spare is not involved.