PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this door mod?

SAF
November 6th, 2010, 20:12
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4072/5151624097_a7a5ba4995_z.jpg

speedtrapped
November 6th, 2010, 20:15
I like it, nice and clean smooth front to back

V8weight
November 6th, 2010, 22:21
Is that a photoshop, or did you actually do that?

JSRS6
November 6th, 2010, 23:08
It looks a little photoshopped at the leading edge of the front door.

Elevens
November 6th, 2010, 23:19
To Plain for me. I prefer the Painted molding. Breaks the monotony......

SAF
November 6th, 2010, 23:49
Thought about this look today while eyeing the lines of the car, so I hopped on the PC and PSed this trial view. I'm thinking I like it (as I always liked my smooth-sided TT).

Anyone know how those strips are attached?

JSRS6
November 7th, 2010, 00:33
Pop rivets from the inside.

JSRS6
November 7th, 2010, 00:36
Good job with the photoshopping though!

skribe
November 7th, 2010, 00:37
Thought about doing this... Did a few of my own photoshops (can't post em cause I'm on my mobile)

In the end I thought it made the car look a bit too passat-like...

V8weight
November 7th, 2010, 03:14
Pop rivets from the inside.
I've had dozens of C5 cars apart, the body side moldings are most definitely not held on from the inside with pop rivets. They are held on with two sided tape, however, there are like four holes in each door for alignment pins that would have to be filled. The moldings are also inset into the door skin, so there would be a lot of filling to do. The best thing to do would be to find 4 used allroad doors (they didn't have side moldings) and use them. The fronts would be a straight bolt on swap, while the rears would have to have your window regulator/window frame assembly swapped in (sedan vs. avant profile).

Elevens
November 7th, 2010, 03:29
I've had dozens of C5 cars apart, the body side moldings are most definitely not held on from the inside with pop rivets. They are held on with two sided tape, however, there are like four holes in each door for alignment pins that would have to be filled. The moldings are also inset into the door skin, so there would be a lot of filling to do. The best thing to do would be to find 4 used allroad doors (they didn't have side moldings) and use them. The fronts would be a straight bolt on swap, while the rears would have to have your window regulator/window frame assembly swapped in (sedan vs. avant profile).

Get the Message? Leave it alone.....................

V8weight
November 7th, 2010, 03:32
Get the Message? Leave it alone.....................
Haha, so you got my subtle hint? Personally, I think the doors look a tad lonely without the side moldings, especially when it takes that much of an investment to remove them.

ben916
November 7th, 2010, 03:38
me no likey...
The side molding looks good...

SAF
November 7th, 2010, 04:11
I've had dozens of C5 cars apart, the body side moldings are most definitely not held on from the inside with pop rivets. They are held on with two sided tape.

If you'd only stopped there I'd be doing this tomorrow! I was afraid there was a door length scar to deal with. Damn.

JSRS6
November 7th, 2010, 04:17

My bad Pat. I was told in error by the body tech that was putting my door back together after paint that the side moldings were fastened with pop rivets.

skribe
November 7th, 2010, 16:09
My bad Pat. I was told in error by the body tech that was putting my door back together after paint that the side moldings were fastened with pop rivets.

Maybe they are now? :vhmmm:

SAF
November 7th, 2010, 21:40
Ha! That's funny.

V8weight
November 8th, 2010, 00:15
The belt moldings are.