PDA

View Full Version : Moisture in Headlight..

Hy Octane
November 4th, 2010, 20:12
Gang, need some info..
You know those rubber seals that surround the headlights? Well, somehow over the years with all the wrenchs that have been in my motor, those rubber seals are gone now.. Must have been recently, probably when they replaced the tranny .. But last week after washing her, I noticed the drivers side light was all fogged up inside. Dont know how long this has been happening but it took a few days to finally evaporate. So, whats the fix and does anyone know how to get those rubber seals replaced? Do they come separately or is it part of the whole enchilada?:vhmmm:

ben916
November 4th, 2010, 20:59
Pat knows as does anyone that has clear cornered their '6 (not to toss you under the bus):

There is that black tar like $hit that seals the headlight and it is fookin' mess to deal with...
I would check that first - upon removal
The worst case would be a hole somewhere..

V8weight
November 4th, 2010, 21:14
Gang, need some info..
You know those rubber seals that surround the headlights? Well, somehow over the years with all the wrenchs that have been in my motor, those rubber seals are gone now.. Must have been recently, probably when they replaced the tranny .. But last week after washing her, I noticed the drivers side light was all fogged up inside. Dont know how long this has been happening but it took a few days to finally evaporate. So, whats the fix and does anyone know how to get those rubber seals replaced? Do they come separately or is it part of the whole enchilada?:vhmmm:
What rubber seals are you referring to? The gaskets that seal the gap between the headlamp and the fender? If so, those do nothing to seal the headlamp capsule itself. As Ben said, the lens and the housing are sealed together with Butyl rubber, but that seldom causes leaks if left undisturbed. I would point the finger towards the rear access cover to the HID bulb. It has a metal retainer that can become dislodged during repair and allow massive amounts of moisture in the capsule. Otherwise the O-rings that seal the corner bulb sockets to the back of the housing shrink over time.

ben916
November 4th, 2010, 21:16
Is that accessible with human hands or does it require a removal of bumper and other items?

Hy Octane
November 4th, 2010, 23:21
Yes. its the rubber gaskets that go between the lights and hood..How do you replace them? I'll check for the loose cover and ring...Thanks <S>

V8weight
November 4th, 2010, 23:36
Yes. its the rubber gaskets that go between the lights and hood..How do you replace them? I'll check for the loose cover and ring...Thanks <S>
The gaskets are available on their own, but the headlamps have to be removed to replace them (involves removal of the front bumper)..

ben916
November 5th, 2010, 02:22
And the strikeout/linethingy is back...

V8weight
November 5th, 2010, 03:39
The part numbers for the rubber seals are 4B3 941 191 and 4B3 941 192.

Hy Octane
November 9th, 2010, 18:43
V8 Thanks but those part #'s are for the gaskets that surround the outer part or fender side of the headlights ... I need the rubber gaskets that are between the hood and the lights..
Also, is Dum Dum the same as Butyl Rubber?
Thanx..

V8weight
November 9th, 2010, 19:02
V8 Thanks but those part #'s are for the gaskets that surround the outer part or fender side of the headlights ... I need the rubber gaskets that are between the hood and the lights..
Also, is Dum Dum the same as Butyl Rubber?
Thanx..
Exactly, Butyl rubber is "Dum Dum". How did yo know that? I thought that was just a slang term in the body shop industry. The RS6 isn't supposed to have gaskets between the hood and headlamps, only the ones that I listed. Those hood to headlamp seals were only used on the "pre-facelift" A6's, 98-2002.

Hy Octane
November 9th, 2010, 21:24
OK.// Thanks. I told my SA about the Butyl Rubber and he said the only thing they use like that is called Dum Dum..
So there were never any rubber surrounds for the headlights? Hmmm weird.. OK thanks .. <S>

ben916
November 9th, 2010, 21:32
The part numbers for the rubber seals are 4B3 941 191 and 4B3 941 192.

Tried to search for a picture/diagram of this, no go...

V8weight
November 9th, 2010, 21:40
Tried to search for a picture/diagram of this, no go...
It's in ETKA, under electrical, headlamps, individual parts.

ben916
November 9th, 2010, 23:32
yep, part number 4 on the drawing, but you have it listed correctly

skribe
November 10th, 2010, 02:09
Cancel out everything everybody says on this thread. Just cross it out with a line.

Keep going. Cross that out, too. Linethrough, linethrough.

Yay for vBulletin!