PDA

View Full Version : Dread....oil spots

speedtrapped
October 31st, 2010, 16:26
Damn I am not worried, as I have read that the VC seals leak....since I redlined 3 times yesterday I imagine normal? Or since I loaded everything, will I need to replace......My old 71 302 ford has always done this.....more annoying then anything else. Btw, this was 1st time I ever saw a spot on floor, and maybe I should give it a couple of days to see if she stops.

V8weight
October 31st, 2010, 16:52
Well, in order to leave a spot on the floor, the oil first has to fill up the lower engine shield, so it's probably leaking more than you'd think. Probably like you said, just a valve cover gasket. Or, if the shop that did you last service got messy with the oil filter, it could be residual oil dripping off the engine cradle. I'd get under there and have a look.

speedtrapped
November 17th, 2010, 14:35
So I did the sport tec mod last week. Came out nice, while under the engine i searched for source of leaks. Oil coming out ever so small at plug, likely mechanic reused crush washer and its bad. also small oil coming from filter area, filter tight. so i assume a little left over from last change, as Pat suggested. No oil from VC, I had her on lift for Milltek swap and we thoroughly inspected.

V8weight
November 17th, 2010, 15:39
Good news! There's something to be said for getting under there and taking a look before posting and letting the whole group run away with speculation. ;) It's not always as bad you'd think.

speedtrapped
November 17th, 2010, 16:00
true...slowly gaining confidence doing the DYI's on the beast.....not afraid to get into it, done plenty on my ford 302(4.2 V8 a "little" more complicated), rotors/pads, sport tec mod, next stop stock IC swap......Ty for everyone's help.

skribe
November 17th, 2010, 16:54
Getting the front bumper off isn't as hard as you might think... Just follow the walkthroughs.

Good to hear your oil leak was inconsequential. I would give whoever re-used your crush washer a headslap. And it sounds like they may not have seated your filter correctly... that could be disasterous, an oil-starved turbo will burn up in a nanosecond.

Some folks believe you should only hand-tighten an oil filter because it can get stuck.

But what I do is prime the filter gasket with fresh oil, hand tighten, and then give it just a little torque with a filter wrench. I use a caliper-type wrench, like a big pliers. I'm too paranoid to have my oil held in by a hand-tightened anything, and on this car, you can't really a good grip on it with your hand.

If your filter does get stuck, you can always stab a big screwdriver through it and turn it. But I've only had to do that once in 20 years...

speedtrapped
November 17th, 2010, 17:13
Ty, now I am a little paranoid...I will need to recheck the filter, I didnt see any oil at filter, eye level looking up into area.....i guess I should of checked tightness, damn...

skribe
November 17th, 2010, 17:34
Haha, didn't mean to spread my paranoia... You're probably fine. But never hurts to check. You said earlier you saw oil coming from the filter area... but like Pat said, if some ding-a-ling did your oil change, they may have let half a quart blast all over the place when they pulled the filter. Which is why I also use this:

http://images.newpig.com/wcsstore/NewPigUSCatalogAssetStore/Attachment/images/prdImgs_zoom/TLS703_W4_Z.jpg

http://www.newpig.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=149515&storeId=10651&catalogId=13007&langId=-1&cm_vc=vc_search

They carry it at NAPA.

speedtrapped
November 17th, 2010, 17:51
aahh i like that....well honestly I would of changed it myself, but he included it in the TB service. I did just speak to him, he asked me to bring it in tomorrow-he said he used new crush washer, but will replace again...he wants to make sure pan plug didnt get stripped(aluminum), he will also recheck filter.....I also told him, unrelated-that the fuel filter didnt look new, i was just under car this weekend due to milltek-, and the fuel filter was dirty, considering it has been replaced 3 weeks ago.he said, I will change it again, but I supervised the service and I swear the filter was new, but i dont want a bad rep, so I will replace as well, all free.....

DHall1
November 17th, 2010, 18:44
Are you sure you were looking at the fuel filter and not the fuel pump?

aahh i like that....well honestly I would of changed it myself, but he included it in the TB service. I did just speak to him, he asked me to bring it in tomorrow-he said he used new crush washer, but will replace again...he wants to make sure pan plug didnt get stripped(aluminum), he will also recheck filter.....I also told him, unrelated-that the fuel filter didnt look new, i was just under car this weekend due to milltek-, and the fuel filter was dirty, considering it has been replaced 3 weeks ago.he said, I will change it again, but I supervised the service and I swear the filter was new, but i dont want a bad rep, so I will replace as well, all free.....

DHall1
November 17th, 2010, 18:46
Run away with speculation?

Did someone say lean?

Run Pat Run

Good news! There's something to be said for getting under there and taking a look before posting and letting the whole group run away with speculation. ;) It's not always as bad you'd think.

speedtrapped
November 17th, 2010, 18:51
Dave, yes...fuel pump is cylandrical and black? fuel filter is a straight cyclander and aluminum, no? arent they next to each other? off the fuel tank passenger side

skribe
November 17th, 2010, 19:02
Run away with speculation?

Hey, isn't that what this forum is for??? That and completely off-topic thread jacks. Which reminds me.

I recently discovered my car came with a hidden bonus feature: a Cat Stevens' Greatest Hits cassette still in the deck. That explains why I'm always being followed by a moon shadow. Moon shadow, moon shadow.

V8weight
November 17th, 2010, 19:07
Hey, isn't that what this forum is for??? That and completely off-topic thread jacks. Which reminds me.

I recently discovered my car came with a hidden bonus feature: a Cat Stevens' Greatest Hits cassette still in the deck. That explains why I'm always being followed by a moon shadow. Moon shadow, moon shadow.
Nice, my only previous owner "artifact" was a pen from the Mayo clinic in Scottsdale, AZ. Dave, what's this inside joke about the lean? I'm not in on it......

speedtrapped
November 17th, 2010, 19:19
how about off topic related to off topic....dropped a Cd in to the player, and did hit lode, immdeiatly got a error code3 and nothing, cant eject or load nada...can I vag com this ? or will my CD be for the next owner(over my dead body next owner)

V8weight
November 17th, 2010, 20:12
What's a CD? I put one of those Ipod integration things in, I've never even tried to put a CD in.

speedtrapped
November 17th, 2010, 20:16
Ok Pat, help a noob out(again) share with me how to do such a mod?

V8weight
November 17th, 2010, 20:30
I never really did a write up on the installation, but I bought a Dice Electronics i-Audi-R Ipod integration harness from: http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=9884,
and routed it through the console and through the optional car phone openings. Now the ipod is tucked neatly away, without having to have some gaudy bracket hanging off the dash. It charges when hooked up, I can control it from the stereo, and I get CD quality sound.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/006-5.jpg

speedtrapped
November 17th, 2010, 20:35
ahh thats cool...I have the phone dock in arm rest, i guess there is a way to vag this away, and pull the dock out(easy)-Did u pull the din out -I guess u would of had to. How diffacult an install?

skribe
November 17th, 2010, 21:36
ahh thats cool...I have the phone dock in arm rest, i guess there is a way to vag this away, and pull the dock out(easy)-Did u pull the din out -I guess u would of had to. How diffacult an install?

It's easy, it's all plug & play. You just need the radio removal tools and the DIN slides right out. Most adaptors ship with them.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/products/2002/120/h120869001-fp.jpg

ben916
November 17th, 2010, 21:43

Did GREG get that 1980's brick of a phone option out of there???
I always thought that was the kookiest thing on the RS6... oh and the ONSTAR...

speedtrapped
November 17th, 2010, 22:00
Still there as is the on star which I plan on unplugging one day, have to lift that damn stiff carpet