PDA

View Full Version : Valve cover gasket replacement

marklar182
October 30th, 2010, 22:41
How many of you guys have DIY'd this? Is it possible to snake the pass. side cover out without removing the coolant pipe?

I can't see removing the engine for a valve cover gasket! FYI, mine are just seeping, not full on leaking at this time.

DHall1
October 30th, 2010, 23:44
It cant be done w/o removing that coolant pipe.

If you have some seeping....clean it off and snug up the bolts.

If nothing comes around to cause an engine pull in the next year or two you could always just go ahead and remove that coolant pipe/bend it and bend it back to complete that v/c gasket.

yokust
October 31st, 2010, 20:45
You can remove the valve cover with the coolant pipe on.

You remove the 2 bolts that bolt to the head right above exhaust manifold, also remove the upper kombi valve bolt and loosen the lower two, and you can slide the cover out.

The pipe will just flex enough to let the cover out, you dont need to bend it.

4everRS
October 31st, 2010, 20:51

You remove the 2 bolts that bolt to the head right above exhaust manifold, also remove the upper kombi valve bolt and loosen the lower two, and you can slide the cover out.

The pipe will just flex enough to let the cover out, you dont need to bend it.I thought I remembered hearing it can be done. I think now that more work is being done on these cars, mechanics are finding ways to get the hours without racking them up.

DHall1
October 31st, 2010, 21:56
remove and bend vs unbolt and flex

yokust
November 1st, 2010, 01:42
remove and bend vs unbolt and flex

To remove the coolant pipe you need to R+R motor, to unbolt and "flex" is way easier.

I say "flex" because you dont want to put a prybar in it and bend and possible cause damage to the pipe. The fittings are only brazed together under the paint not welded, so they are only so strong

MaxRS6
November 1st, 2010, 02:29
I thought I remembered hearing it can be done. I think now that more work is being done on these cars, mechanics are finding ways to get the hours without racking them up.

I heard that- Only in April/2010 the engine had to be pulled...

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/20829-Engine-pull-maintenance-items?highlight=valve+gasket

Now just a twitch of the nose and its' done..Sounds good to me when I need this done again. Of course, I'll hear it can't be done that way and it will be 9000 hours sir..LOL

marklar182
November 1st, 2010, 02:46
I think I will try Dave's idea of cleaning the seepage and cinching them down a little bit.

I find my self second guessing my skill level with this car. I looked at the Elsa and can see what you mean Yokust. That was my thinking if you loosen the pipe from its mounts it might move enough to get the vc off.

tidus888
November 1st, 2010, 08:35
i asked the same question before! just a few weeks back..

so.. after a long talk with my friend who is an audi mechanic.. it is doable without removing the engine.. but just flex the pipings a bit and it should come out... it is always cheaper to replace some lines/pipes then the 20-30 hr labour (according to labour guide) doing engine R+R

Aronis
March 9th, 2011, 15:59
revisisiting this post.

Any follow up on a DIY valve cover gasket replacement?

Did snugging it down help seapage? I hear this rarely helps as the gastket is usually cracked.

Mike

Aronis
March 11th, 2011, 01:55
So, just remove these two bolts and you can move this pipe enough to get the Valve Cover off?

Aronis
March 11th, 2011, 01:58
This is the kind of CRAP that pisses me off about Audi. For about 10 minutes of engineer time they could have had this pipe NOT in the way of the Valve Cover! D'ooh....

Perhaps in the new 4.0 Liter V8 they have this Coolant pipe wrapped around the OIL FILTER twice!

So if you over flex this pipe, then you need an engine pull. NICE...

Mike

ttboost
March 11th, 2011, 02:12
Pulled my engine/trans last night...took me 15 minutes to find my starter...idiots...I noticed one of my VC gaskets is a little wet...it will be changed while it's out...

Aronis
March 11th, 2011, 02:29
You're doing an engine pull at home? Or do you have your own VAG garage?

Please take a few photos of the passenger side valve cover and that coolant pipe, particularly from the rear of the engine so I can see how much 'flex' room there is!

Thanks 1,000,000.

Mike

Aronis
March 11th, 2011, 02:41
Now, I am not sure which pipe we are FLEXING?

Here's a photo...There's a Crank Case Breather pipe, which clearly runs right over the valve cover and the Coolant Pipe which just curves up at the front end of the valve cover.

marklar182
March 11th, 2011, 02:43
Its the coolant pipe that is in the way.

Aronis
March 11th, 2011, 02:58
the coolant pipe looks like its a plastic pipe? Flexible enough? No?

4everRS
March 11th, 2011, 03:01
not plastic, steel it seems

marklar182
March 11th, 2011, 03:03
It is metal. When I looked at it the only worry regarding moving it out of the way is that it is brazed in a couple spots, so you need to take care not to flex it too far.

Aronis
March 11th, 2011, 17:24
Marklar182,

have you actually done this job? Flexed it? Gotten the valve cover off??

yokust
March 11th, 2011, 17:27
I have done it on both my cars.

Just take out both the bolts for the upper coolant pipe on the side of head, and you can squeeze the vc by the pipe.

4everRS
March 11th, 2011, 17:34
So you'll obviously need to drain the coolant first?
I have done it on both my cars.

Just take out both the bolts for the upper coolant pipe on the side of head, and you can squeeze the vc by the pipe.

SAF
March 11th, 2011, 22:58
Keep up the info guys, I am in need of this myself. Audi and an indy told me engine must be R & R'd.

BTW, any source for elsa out there?

Aronis
March 12th, 2011, 12:44
Two things not mentioned.

Drain oil? I'm guessing no.

Drain coolant? Doubt that, just flexing pipe.

Mike

Aronis
March 25th, 2011, 01:08
Could you expand on this.

The Combi Valve has two bolts on the bottom and two on the side which connect the hoses.

The Bentley manual shows removing the hoses and removing the Combi Valve before proceeding with removing the valve cover.

Mike

The pipe will just flex enough to let the cover out, you dont need to bend it.

yokust
March 25th, 2011, 03:06
The kombi valve itself you leave alone, its the aluminum adaptor that the kombi valve bolts too, and then it bolts to the head.

There is an upper bolt on that flange that goes into the head, that is easy to get to. The two lower bolts are kind of a pita, but you can break them loose and just back them out a few turns so that the kombi valve will fall out of the way

Aronis
March 25th, 2011, 11:13
Thank you!!

Mike

Aronis
March 26th, 2011, 01:11
Took off air box and ended up just snugging down the remaining bolts and cleaning off the rest of the edges and bolts I could not reach before.

The leak was all but gone after just tightening the bolts I could see and reach with air box on. I'll see if it's totally gone.

Rear combi valve looks like a bitch to loosen.

Mike

SzymekCRX
October 11th, 2011, 19:08
Did You manage to replace passenger gakset w/o major trouble ?

Aronis
October 12th, 2011, 00:50
I just snugged down the bolts and my leak was gone.

speedtrapped
October 12th, 2011, 11:50
^^^^ Ugg........

Aronis
October 14th, 2011, 17:53
ugg?? why??

speedtrapped
October 14th, 2011, 18:10
honestly....I'm not sure why either....I think I was hoping you were going to try gasket replacement, and was hoping for pics. I have a set of PC VC thats came out beautiful, and I want to swap in dead winter, driverside easy, ps looks like a PIA. I still will give it go I think.

SzymekCRX
October 14th, 2011, 20:16
honestly....I'm not sure why either....I think I was hoping you were going to try gasket replacement, and was hoping for pics. I have a set of PC VC thats came out beautiful, and I want to swap in dead winter, driverside easy, ps looks like a PIA. I still will give it go I think.

need gasket replacement DIY step by step ? If yes I can do it next week

speedtrapped
October 14th, 2011, 20:25
I would love that....TY

mik15
January 6th, 2012, 21:12
any news on this DIY? :)

SzymekCRX
January 6th, 2012, 21:24
any news on this DIY? :)

You mean mine ?

Search for : "diy valve cover"