PDA

View Full Version : Bambi vs. Beast: They both lose.

skribe
October 28th, 2010, 19:09
Driving past one of the many nature preserves yesterday on a rare day lately when I can actually drive my car...

A big buck darts across the road. Wow, that was close. Unfortunately, his lady friend is right behind him, bounds out of a thicket in the median directly in front of my car... not even a nanosecond to react.
Fortunately no humans were hurt. Fortunately, the deer died instantly and didn't suffer.

Unfortunately, my spotless carfax is toast and the beast has $4k in damage. :doh:

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz73/droogie5/IMG_0766.jpg
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz73/droogie5/IMG_0762.jpg

Get well soon, beast. Rest in peace, girl.

ben916
October 28th, 2010, 19:46
DUDE!!!!!! That sucks bad!
Sorry to hear about the Beast!

Good to hear you are ok, kinda...

MaxRS6
October 28th, 2010, 19:56
Ouch!!! That is a bummer. ;(

ben916
October 28th, 2010, 19:58
didn't someone have an off course excursion recently, to avoid a large pack of deer?

MaxRS6
October 28th, 2010, 19:59
didn't someone have an off course excursion recently, to avoid a large pack of deer?

That was Jim aka amulet-s6. He is in the repair process.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21431-Playing-quot-Chicken-quot-with-Deer?highlight=

ben916
October 28th, 2010, 20:04
sucks...

venison burgers?

JSRS6
October 28th, 2010, 20:16
Really sorry to see this man. Good luck on speedy repair.

CornersWell
October 28th, 2010, 20:48
I've got to admit that this Fall's rut is CRAZY. I've seen more carcasses on the roadside this year than in the last 5 combined. And, my Father nearly nailed a big multi-point buck just this week, too. We're talking a highly-populated area (NoVA/DC). Amazing that they've adapted as well as they have to our encroachment.

Tough season on squirrels, too. Don't forget the little guys...

CW

Elevens
October 29th, 2010, 00:28
I feel for you skribe. If you love yours as much as I love mine, I'd be crying right now. Any way make sure your body shop can bring her back to showroom spec, and all will be well. Good luck.....................

skribe
October 29th, 2010, 01:48
Men, thanks for your support in this difficult time. Yeah, I'm a freak about my cars, the RS was literally showroom flawless until yesterday.

Fortunately I wasn't hurt. I had a neighbor with a glass eye from a deer antler coming through the windshield.

Fortunately, I have good insurance -- USAA. I can take the car anywhere I want. She will get all new OEM panels correct paint, that is for sure.

And yes the rut has been intense this year. Kinda feel bad for that buck, he was just about to pull some tail :)

DHall1
October 29th, 2010, 06:25
Skribe

Sorry to hear and see the news. New body panels should fit and finish up very nice. Any damage get into the leading edge of the front door?

Did the estimate figure for a new radiator support? I bet the mounting ears have cracked.

Keep an eye on the shop at teardown and take pics. Tell the guys you want the proper nuts, bolts, clips all put back in the correct locations.

My main concern would be if they replace the radiator support. You are opening up a can of worms to let your average joe body shop guy take apart the front radiator support on a RS6. Not to mention make sure the labor time is correct for the job. Long story short....if that can ever be.....there are a $hit load of clips, hoses, clamps, lines, ect that connect on that radiator support. Make damn sure they are paid properly and they do the job properly.

Men, thanks for your support in this difficult time. Yeah, I'm a freak about my cars, the RS was literally showroom flawless until yesterday.

Fortunately I wasn't hurt. I had a neighbor with a glass eye from a deer antler coming through the windshield.

Fortunately, I have good insurance -- USAA. I can take the car anywhere I want. She will get all new OEM panels correct paint, that is for sure.

And yes the rut has been intense this year. Kinda feel bad for that buck, he was just about to pull some tail :)

Ruergard
October 29th, 2010, 06:47
Sorry to see this, that sucks.

Good luck with the repair!

Jimmy
October 29th, 2010, 13:34
VERY sad to see...but you are OK and that is the important thing. At least you weren't in Maine and you hit a moose!

USAA is very well regarded...they should throw all the money at the car to fix it right for you.

skribe
October 29th, 2010, 15:01
My main concern would be if they replace the radiator support. You are opening up a can of worms to let your average joe body shop guy take apart the front radiator support on a RS6. Not to mention make sure the labor time is correct for the job. Long story short....if that can ever be.....there are a $hit load of clips, hoses, clamps, lines, ect that connect on that radiator support. Make damn sure they are paid properly and they do the job properly.

Thanks Dave. My thoughts exactly. Funny, after the incident one of the first things to come to mind was that I hope the radiator support isn't cracked... we pulled the bumper and it looks good, including the mounts. And there is no pinch in the door seam.

She was maybe 90 pounds, not too big. If I'd hit the big buck, The beast and I may have been well and truly fooked. He still had about an eight point rack on his head and was twice her size.

It's too bad I couldn't field dress her and take her with me.

DHall1
October 29th, 2010, 16:12
Yeah, its that fiber material and the little ears where the fender and inner fender mounts bolt up to the core support. With the fender pushed back in that corner I would bet there is a ear broke off somewhere.

PM Pat or maybe he will chime in. He would be the expert eye on this.

Thanks Dave. My thoughts exactly. Funny, after the incident one of the first things to come to mind was that I hope the radiator support isn't cracked... we pulled the bumper and it looks good, including the mounts. And there is no pinch in the door seam.

She was maybe 90 pounds, not too big. If I'd hit the big buck, The beast and I may have been well and truly fooked. He still had about an eight point rack on his head and was twice her size.

It's too bad I couldn't field dress her and take her with me.

V8weight
October 29th, 2010, 16:31
Yeah Skribe, if you have any questions for the resident (ex) master certified body tech, let me know. To me, it looks like the lock support should be ok. The thing to look for would be that usually in a collision, the nut serts (threaded inserts in the fiber lock support) get pulled out along with the bolt. Also, the support is probably fine where it mounts to the fender, but it's probably cracked somewhere around the headlamp mounting points. If the lock support does indeed require replacement, the trans fluid will have to topped up, as you loose some fluid on the 4.2 platform when the cooler is disconnected. Be afraid, your average body tech isn't going to be aware of the proper refill procedure. Also, I know it's cold out, but make sure your AC is working properly when you pick the car up post repairs. Otherwise, if there is a refrigerant leak, you wouldn't know until spring. I feel for you, this would gut me even knowing my own skill level and ability to repair it.

DHall1
October 29th, 2010, 16:38
Oh yeah, the headlight mounting and yep the nuts in the support will pull out.

its going to be a major cluster f#$k if the body shop has to replace that core support. Crap, everything will have to come off that sucker and I guarantee the clips/nuts will not go back on in the same places. Not to mention the bshop will not get paid squat to replace that support. I bet the book time is the same as A6 2.7 or 4.2.

Get pictures coming apart and have the conversation with the bshop before you give them the car to advise how serious you are about all the parts getting back in the correct location with regards to the core support.

V8weight
October 29th, 2010, 19:18
The labor for the RS6 lock support IS the same as the 4.2.

mmaturo
October 30th, 2010, 05:33
Late to this post but sucks to see the damage to your car. I could highly recommend The Ultimate Paint Shop in Lake Bluff, IL if you want to travel a little to really get it right if you do not have a great shop you trust. The shop is Audi certified and did perfect work on my car three times now for the stupid little hits my car has had and a bumper respray. They rebuilt perfectly my old Cabriolet when my ex was run over by a semi in it. Anyway they do all the top cars, its always packed with Ferrari's, Porsche's and the top end Audi's, and cars they are restoring.

snoopra
October 30th, 2010, 06:33
Was tied up yesterday:), my bday:) This sucks A$$! Well, glad damage wasn't worse, time for some wagners:)

skribe
November 1st, 2010, 02:57
Late to this post but sucks to see the damage to your car. I could highly recommend The Ultimate Paint Shop in Lake Bluff, IL if you want to travel a little to really get it right if you do not have a great shop you trust. The shop is Audi certified and did perfect work on my car three times now for the stupid little hits my car has had and a bumper respray. They rebuilt perfectly my old Cabriolet when my ex was run over by a semi in it. Anyway they do all the top cars, its always packed with Ferrari's, Porsche's and the top end Audi's, and cars they are restoring.

Thanks for the tip, Mark... Not out of my way at all :)

I used to have my BMW work done at Werkshop, right across the street from there.

skribe
November 1st, 2010, 02:58
Thanks, Pat. I have you on speed dial if I need it...

V8weight
November 1st, 2010, 03:01
Thanks, Pat. I have you on speed dial if I need it...
For sure. Give me a call if you have any questions, or concerns throughout the repair.

skribe
November 3rd, 2010, 13:37
Update: You guys were right. Under further review, the radiator support was cracked. It looked fine until unbolted, and then stress cracks on one of the mount points became apparent. New one is on the truck.

Going to experiment with a different take on the headlights as long as she's apart...

skribe
November 21st, 2010, 02:21
Update. Got the car back. First glance looks great. On further review, many, many small problems... little flaws in the paintwork. Painted Ai trim below headlights. (What? Why!?) Broke my plx gauge. Car is in limp mode. Bubble in the coolant. I just about lost it on the guy who brought it out to me... no, I did lose it. All-natural 'roid rage kicks in, which is really not even like me, I'm pretty mellow. I guess I care about the beast a bit. I had to take the car, I was about to be late to a board meeting. But it's not going back there.

Took it to "The Ultimate Paint Shop" in Lake Bluff, IL to have them asses the f-ups. The owner, Joe, comes out and immediately asks me if I'm here to sell him my car, says he's been looking for one since he sold his wife's S6. Then asks me if I've had the MTM TCU upgrade done. I love this guy. In the garage they have cayenne turbos, 911s, a ferrari 430, etc, etc. The shop guys come out to check out my car. (reminding me how fun it is to have this rare car when you're around people who get it.)

Joe assesses all the f-ups in three minutes, including a couple I didn't see.

Thanks, mmaturo. What a great tip on these guys...

mmaturo
November 21st, 2010, 02:54
Update. Got the car back. First glance looks great. On further review, many, many small problems... little flaws in the paintwork. Painted Ai trim below headlights. (What? Why!?) Broke my plx gauge. Car is in limp mode. Bubble in the coolant. I just about lost it on the guy who brought it out to me... no, I did lose it. All-natural 'roid rage kicks in, which is really not even like me, I'm pretty mellow. I guess I care about the beast a bit. I had to take the car, I was about to be late to a board meeting. But it's not going back there.

Took it to "The Ultimate Paint Shop" in Lake Bluff, IL to have them asses the f-ups. The owner, Joe, comes out and immediately asks me if I'm here to sell him my car, says he's been looking for one since he sold his wife's S6. Then asks me if I've had the MTM TCU upgrade done. I love this guy. In the garage they have cayenne turbos, 911s, a ferrari 430, etc, etc. The shop guys come out to check out my car. (reminding me how fun it is to have this rare car when you're around people who get it.)

Joe assesses all the f-ups in three minutes, including a couple I didn't see.

Thanks, mmaturo. What a great tip on these guys...

Great, glad you gave them a look. You will be in very good hands...the work on my RS6 and previous cars has been perfect. Joe and crew are good people. He certainly remembered my car each time which explains it now...guess he likes blue better than Daytona. They take a bit but worth it. I had them buff out the random scratches on my car too as I knew they could do a better job than a random detail guy.