PDA

View Full Version : Purely hypothetical... ;-)

JSRS6
October 28th, 2010, 18:30
Let's say I came up with a way to drop my IAT a good bit, that was cheap, but required 64kw max load draw on my cars electrical system. Any thoughts on this load on the car, and any potential drawbacks?

V8weight
October 28th, 2010, 18:47
Honda generator in the trunk. :)

JSRS6
October 28th, 2010, 18:50
Honda generator in the trunk. :)

With a separate tailpipe sticking out of the rear bumper! But seriously. I could probably do it with half the draw, I was just estimating...

ben916
October 28th, 2010, 19:57
Let's say I came up with a way to drop my IAT a good bit, that was cheap, but required 64kw max load draw on my cars electrical system. Any thoughts on this load on the car, and any potential drawbacks?

um, 64KW ??? Refrigerator?

well, on that finely crafted vintage 1950's MSO that I was on in courtesy of the Navy, we had Ship's service of 185kw, 100kw and a 60kw (try parallelling that $hit...)
O/T:
The 185KW was attached to a huge 671 straight 6 cyl diesel, the 100kw was not boosted 6 cyl diesel and the 60 was a 6 cyl diesel also.
The Minesweep generators(3 of them) were mammoth producing 3000 amp DC each, connected to a V12 twin turbo 600hp diesel Packard ($hitty design, waukasha's were better) with a flywheel of 6' round x 2' thick.

JSRS6
October 28th, 2010, 20:28
Ok, what I am toying with in my head is attaching a few thermoelectric cooling plates, 2inx2in, to the intercoolers. The max draw from each is 400w.

V8weight
October 28th, 2010, 21:34
Someone double check my math, but 400w= 33amp draw at 12v?

ttboost
October 28th, 2010, 22:42
Someone double check my math, but 400w= 33amp draw at 12v?

Yup and since when is a 160 a few?

JSRS6
October 29th, 2010, 00:29
Yup and since when is a 160 a few?

A 160? Yes 33 is correct.

ttboost
October 29th, 2010, 00:34
64,000 divided by 400w? gotta calculator??

JSRS6
October 29th, 2010, 00:47
I do, on my iPhone, lol. I was confused by the a in front of 160. I think it'll still be effective with only 4 te coolers on each ic. Also I miscalculated the kw. 400w x 8 = 3.2kw. 33amps x 8 = 264 amps.

Aronis
October 29th, 2010, 19:11
2 in x 2 in ThermoElectric COOLING PLATES?

Where do these flukes of Thermodynamics come from? The same supplier as the Flux Capacitor?

Even if you could find such a device which uses electricity (energy) to cool (take thermal energy away from) a 2 in by 2 in area of the intercooler surface (which is about 8 in by 10 in overall guestimate), just what effect could you possible expect to see on the air temperature on the other side of the intercooler at the flow rates which are going through that intercooler when less than 5% of the total intercooler surface area would be effected by that 2x2 in cold spot?

Mike

JSRS6
October 29th, 2010, 19:23
Haha, no. They do actually exist. You know the 12v refrigerators for trips? Powered by thermoelectric coolers. Here is a link for ya.

http://www.virtualvillage.com/400w-12v-thermoelectric-cooler-peltier-plate-001540-017.html

And I am hoping the same effect is seen with cooling the aluminum with the coolers as with spraying the ic with water...

ttboost
October 29th, 2010, 19:28
Maybe I am missing something, and I am guessing you are not going to cover the WHOLE IC with these, but wouldn't this block the flow of air, actually killing the primary function of the IC?

JSRS6
October 29th, 2010, 19:31
Looking at along the sides, three evenly spaced on each side...then some sort of CPU heat sink on the other side of the te cooler

MrBucket
October 30th, 2010, 01:03
Looking at along the sides, three evenly spaced on each side...then some sort of CPU heat sink on the other side of the te cooler
Peliter coolers for processors never really worked all that well, better off with just a properly designed air cooler these days.

Aronis
October 30th, 2010, 02:13
You have to consider the basic thermodynamics.

What percent change do you expect?

The sandwich you're trying to keep cool is not radiating heat. That cooling element would be quickly overwhelmed by the heat radiating from the intercooler.

The effect of spraying the ic with cold gas is brief. You're then spraying the entire surface with cool gas not just 4 square inches of it. The cool gas spray makes excellent contact with the surface of the intercooler vents.

The electric cooling plate will be touching a VERY small part of the vents physical surface within that 4 square inch area.
The heat sink effect would be unmeasureable at the dyno!

You're trying to have a measurable change in gas temperature per millisecond!

What's the entire temperature delta in a standard intercooler at say 70 degrees ambient temperature? Your trying to add a "heat sink" to that intercooler's surface. The exchange of heat occurs over all of the vent surfaces. It's like a bunch of parallel tubes. You're trying to cool down a fraction of those tubes, not all. What increase in temperature reduction do you expect for the combined network of tubes, ie the entire ic surface??

JSRS6
October 30th, 2010, 02:18
Good points guys. Just the result of my mind having nothing to do at work I guess. Back to the drawing board, lol.

V8weight
October 30th, 2010, 04:33
You have to consider the basic thermodynamics.

What percent change do you expect?

The sandwich you're trying to keep cool is not radiating heat. That cooling element would be quickly overwhelmed by the heat radiating from the intercooler.

The effect of spraying the ic with cold gas is brief. You're then spraying the entire surface with cool gas not just 4 square inches of it. The cool gas spray makes excellent contact with the surface of the intercooler vents.

The electric cooling plate will be touching a VERY small part of the vents physical surface within that 4 square inch area.
The heat sink effect would be unmeasureable at the dyno!

You're trying to have a measurable change in gas temperature per millisecond!

What's the entire temperature delta in a standard intercooler at say 70 degrees ambient temperature? Your trying to add a "heat sink" to that intercooler's surface. The exchange of heat occurs over all of the vent surfaces. It's like a bunch of parallel tubes. You're trying to cool down a fraction of those tubes, not all. What increase in temperature reduction do you expect for the combined network of tubes, ie the entire ic surface??
Yeah, I think the negligible benefit would be outweighed by the draw on the alternator. And yes, the charge air is moving through the intercooler too quickly to be effectively cooled by the thermal plates. I like your thinking though, let no idea go un-pondered.