PDA

View Full Version : Does a turbo leak product a CEL???

Aronis
October 28th, 2010, 03:48
I have started hearing a sound on hard accelloration which sounds like a turbo pressure leak, but there does not appear to be any loss of power (by butt dyno) and only occurs when driving.

I did not see any evidence of oil leaking at the intercooler and it sounds like its on the drivers side.

I have not had any CEL codes via Vag-Com. I'll be checking the tubing this weekend as I suspect after the engine pull, engine replace they may have loosened a tube or two...found some screws out and others not all they way back in...nice work...

Mike

marklar182
October 28th, 2010, 03:57
If it turns into a rich condition it will trigger a CEL after some time. I had a Turbo outlet hose slip off, and would get an intermittent rich condition CEL if I boosted too much.

V8weight
October 28th, 2010, 04:20
If it turns into a rich condition it will trigger a CEL after some time. I had a Turbo outlet hose slip off, and would get an intermittent rich condition CEL if I boosted too much.
What he said, a large enough boost leak will cause a code pertaining to fuel trims. It's probably a slightly loose boost hose, or a possible bad diverter valve. Come to think of it, when I got my car back after having the TC replaced, I brought it back complaining about being able to hear the turbo's/ boost. It turns out that with a good converter, the car was back to specifying full boost, thus it was audible for the first time in a while.

Aronis
October 28th, 2010, 21:45
That's what I was thinking, but not sure....I was not pushing the car at all for the first weeks after the TC change to make sure nothing else goes bad....

So I have been driving it more spiritedly (since getting a new set of PS2 two weeks ago LOL)....and can hear a higher frequency whooshing sound but not sure if it's a leak or nothing.

JSRS6
October 29th, 2010, 00:19
Does the sound change pitch with your rpms?

CornersWell
October 29th, 2010, 00:34
Dunno guys, I've had TWO hoses go off with no CEL notice whatsoever.

What I did notice was that that the RPMs would "pulse". But, I also had a bad torque converter, so who knows?

CW

Aronis
October 29th, 2010, 19:00
JSRS6,

Yes it does and disappears at higher RPM.

I drop it hard yesterday with the passenger side open and drivers side window closed and I think the same sound comes from both sides.
There's no drop in power or issue with drivability.

Perhaps it is just a normal noise.

I figured with a hose loose I'd hear something with the car in park when I race the engine, but that noise only occurs under load.

Mike

JSRS6
October 29th, 2010, 19:19
Remind you of a supercharger spooling up as the rpms increase? I have the same problem right now, hopefully, replacing the intercoolers and using t-bolt clamps work.

Aronis
October 30th, 2010, 02:16
Yes!! That's the sound!!

JSRS6
October 30th, 2010, 02:26
Sounds like we have a commonality. Let's keep each other posted on this issue...

4everRS
October 30th, 2010, 03:32
My car had a "supercharger" noise at one time. It was after Pat and I did the 75k service. Turns out that I had incorrectly replaced the t-belt covers and the belt was rubbing on the cover. One of the tabs was on the outside when it was supposed to be on the outside. Magic Pat fixed it.

V8weight
October 30th, 2010, 04:27
I would say that if this is your description of the noise, it's more than likely a bad accessory drive belt tensioner bearing, or something of the like.

JSRS6
October 30th, 2010, 13:45
I would say that if this is your description of the noise, it's more than likely a bad accessory drive belt tensioner bearing, or something of the like.

Makes sense ;-)

Aronis
October 31st, 2010, 00:47
Sounds more like air leaking out.

Upper tubes to ic look ok.

I'd have to get more motivated to take the bottom panel off and look!

Mike