PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel noise

LIRS6
October 26th, 2010, 20:28
I needed to send my front Stasis-Ohlins dampers back to Stasis for rebuilding, so I removed them myself and then re-installed them. Since then, at highway speed I have had a whining sound when the car is straight-line or turned to the right. When the wheels are turned even just slightly to the left, no whine. The faster I am going, the louder the whine. Seems to be coming from the front left wheel area. I do not see any rubbing issues. Fyi when I was re-installing the front left damper, I used a jack to prop up the lower control arms to facilitate re-installing the uppers. In doing so, on the left side I slightly bent the metal plate "thing" (dust plate?) that aligns along the front half of the rotor. I re-shaped it and dont see any contact with the rotor.

Any suggestions as to what to check? TIA

SteveKen
October 26th, 2010, 21:02
I'm pretty sure it's still that dust shield.

I've done it before with my S4 and my S6.

LIRS6
October 26th, 2010, 21:06
I'm pretty sure it's still that dust shield.

I've done it before with my S4 and my S6.

Thanks, Steve. Have you been able to resolve some of the issues you were having - limp mode and such?

SteveKen
October 26th, 2010, 22:19
I've got a boost leak that I need to search for. Maybe tonight I'll get to it.

My wife blew a head gasket in her minivan the day before she picked up the RS6. I finally got the motor replaced in that and it's out of the garage. So now I've got some space to work and tear things apart.

I've started gathering parts for the 6 speed conversion, too. By the time I find the boost leak, I'll be putting it up on blocks anyway. Lol.

LIRS6
October 27th, 2010, 16:20
Can anyone advise the p/n for front left side dust shield? TIA

ben916
October 27th, 2010, 19:33

4B0615311A for RS6

LIRS6
October 27th, 2010, 20:19

4B0615311A for RS6

Superb, thank you!

ben916
October 27th, 2010, 20:21
I was going to post the part numbers for the Phaeton cooling but wasn't sure you are interested... :)

LIRS6
October 27th, 2010, 20:26
I was going to post the part numbers for the Phaeton cooling but wasn't sure you are interested... :)

Thanks, I recall the mod - but in this case I'm just interested in stock replacement; I don't track the car - altho my wife does think that I brake too agressively :)

ben916
October 27th, 2010, 21:03
...altho my wife does think that I brake too agressively :)

My wife said the same thing BEFORE the new Frozen OEM rotors and EBC reds "You fuŠking brake too hard! That is why your rims are all black, dusty, grind and look like $hit!!!"
Oh! I LOVE being right and proving an incorrect statement!

Case in point:
New rotors - squeak like HELL for at three hundred miles!
If I brake lightly during that time - NASA can hear it and USGS triggers a EQ warning. The passenger seat occupant plugs ears and additional auditory displeasure is dispensed.
If I brake moderately - no squeak but passenger seat occupant bitches up a storm for braking too hard and causing L5,L6, etc to become out of alignment AND a seatbelt check.

Good thing the pads/rotors are nearly seated or I might be asking for a case of duct tape...

hahnmgh63
October 28th, 2010, 01:01
LIRS6, I may have a used dust shield for you if you want it, just pay shipping as I did the Phaeton upgrade on my car recently. I won't be home for a week or so to get it is the one problem. Mark

LIRS6
October 28th, 2010, 03:04
LIRS6, I may have a used dust shield for you if you want it, just pay shipping as I did the Phaeton upgrade on my car recently. I won't be home for a week or so to get it is the one problem. Mark

Thank you, but I already ordered one through dealer .. $24 and change, so I wasn't fussed about it, even if that proves not to be the issue.