PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering whine when cold

Chung
October 19th, 2010, 02:12
and another question...

My powersteering is pretty loud in the morning when the car is cold. Reading through some of the posts I see that others have some similar issues but it was hard to tell if the issue is normal.

Do others experience this?
Has anyone ever heard of flushing the power steering fluid or if that might help?
New power steering pump?

I am tempted to call Brian up at BND and order some of the power steering catalyst to see if that helps.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

JSRS6
October 19th, 2010, 02:33
Call Brian. I will be soon in anticipation of winter here.

p3u
October 19th, 2010, 02:44
Get the leak fixed before doing any of that, air is getting in the system causing the whine.

Chung
October 19th, 2010, 05:58
Good call. Almost forgot about that.

vikingrs6
October 19th, 2010, 08:35
Check the fluid levels also - mine sounded like an electric milk-float.. Had a small leak were it connected to the cooler rad..

Out of interest what's the best way to check for air in the system and get it out?.. ta

LIRS6
October 19th, 2010, 15:29
My powersteering is pretty loud in the morning when the car is cold. Reading through some of the posts I see that others have some similar issues but it was hard to tell if the issue is normal.

As suggested by vikingrs6, check the fliud level. I've had this issue before, and it was just a matter of adding proper fluid.

mi021le
October 20th, 2010, 21:07
this keeps coming up on this board since the rs6 first appeared.. every time i start to get it i just get a PS fluid flush and its fine. try that. and yes its normal. but first start by checking the fluids as the guys said.

Chung
October 22nd, 2010, 20:45
Fluid levels are fine. I am going to try to flush it probably without fixing the leak since there is no measurable decrease in fluids yet. In my S4 I have tried to stop a PS leak and ended up replacing hose after hose as the leak just kept progressing. In my opinion it hasn't been worth all the money and time.

I will be replacing with BND fluids. I am not sure if I am just a sucker or not but Brian has sold me on his fluids. My background is not in fluids so at some point I need to have some faith.

mmaturo
October 24th, 2010, 18:10
Mine (no surprise) had this issue...for 4 years it worked to just top off the fluid on the first chilly days of the year. It took a new steering pump the last time as fluid levels were just fine.

DHall1
October 24th, 2010, 18:50
BND rocks.

But I choose to use OEM filters.

Aces and the fluids are worth it in my book.

Fluid levels are fine. I am going to try to flush it probably without fixing the leak since there is no measurable decrease in fluids yet. In my S4 I have tried to stop a PS leak and ended up replacing hose after hose as the leak just kept progressing. In my opinion it hasn't been worth all the money and time.

I will be replacing with BND fluids. I am not sure if I am just a sucker or not but Brian has sold me on his fluids. My background is not in fluids so at some point I need to have some faith.

Chung
November 6th, 2010, 18:17
Here is an update.
I still have my leak but I flushed the system with BND powersteering fluid. The whine has been drastically reduced but since I changed two variables (flush and new fluid) I have no idea which one fixed it.

DHall1
November 6th, 2010, 19:46
Fluid

eight word limit to post....blah blah