PDA

View Full Version : EVO: M3 CSL cs. 911 GT3 vs. Subaru STi Spec C.

Erik
September 22nd, 2003, 09:07
I'm a bit surprised about the results.
Can I trust the results from EVO? I mean I like what they write and usually trust it even though it sometimes is a bit different from what I'd usually think.
But acceleration figures from english magazines are usually a lot worse than those in german. Why...?

Link to article:

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e46m3/forum.php?postid=3878033&page=1

Andreas.ka
September 22nd, 2003, 09:40
TeknikensVärld have tested the CSL.
0-100km/h in 5.7 sek, they blamed it on the tires. They have also tested M3 (343hp) in 5.6 sek, thats faster than the CSL.
Can they handle bimmers?
BTW SportAuto time for CSL is 4.8 seconds.

steve
September 22nd, 2003, 16:31
Erik,

Also have the current EVO and have to say that it is the 5'th " bad " acceleration time I saw of the CSL.

Normally EVO's acceleration figures are usually quite good to very good.

ps; the picture of the RS6 in fastfleet is so cool:D, also check the article about the SR3 Turbo... RS6 comes up in that story also ;)

greets,

Steve

Gabriel343
September 22nd, 2003, 17:06
http://www.leo.nutz.de/bmw/leo/forums/CSL_GT3_Oschersleben.jpg

http://www.leo.nutz.de/bmw/leo/forums/SA_CSL_Supertest/SA_CSL_4.jpg

Klint
September 22nd, 2003, 17:22
I've got the magazine, I'm also a great fan of EVO and I also purchase the mag every month. But I have yet to read this article.

The CSL is slower than the standard M3...I can't see why but I'll take it as a 'yes, it is slower' either way.

The CSL is targeted at people who either want a track car (for the involvement, not figures) and for exclusivity. This is why BMW is pricing it more than the base M3 and it isn't the case of "The More it costs is the faster it goes".

I like the GT3 the most out of the selected cars....:alig:

:cheers:

johann
September 23rd, 2003, 17:55
I don't know what it is with Evo nowadays but lately their times have been more and more unreliable.

The E46 M3 wasn't faster than a Cayene around a track and the CSL is slower than the normal M3 and almost 1 s slower to 100 km/h than BMW's and Sport Auto's and someother's figures.

I'm sure they didn't do better in the test but when you as a tester come up with a weird result why not do it again or try to find the reason?

Most likely they couldn't launch it better and never read the manual on how to do use the LC properly or they ran it with faulty tire pressures which also explains the track time. Anyway it makes them look like clowns and if they don't get their act together people, including me, will stop taking them seriously and maybe even stop reading Evo.

Erik
September 23rd, 2003, 18:01
...and the S4 was faster than the M3 on track.

Maybe it's because it always rains in England? :D :eye:

johann
September 23rd, 2003, 18:09
Originally posted by Erik
...and the S4 was faster than the M3 on track.

Maybe it's because it always rains in England? :D :eye:

LOL! :D

That could explain it but that would have affected the GT3 as well.

Benman
September 23rd, 2003, 20:58
Originally posted by johann

Nope. Because they favor Porsche so the Porsche times were unaffected LOL. The matter of the Porsche SUV being AS fast as the M3? I read the same test and have SERIOUS doubts as to it being very accurate. Like you say, if it keeps up i might not be spending my money on them anymore.

Ben:addict:

Klint
September 23rd, 2003, 21:37
Originally posted by johann

That's true, and it's true with EVERY car out there, that rain will affect acceleration, negatively.

Although, The GT3 wouldn't be affected as much as the CSL as the location of the flat six motor increases the rear weight distribution in turn increasing grip on the driven wheels.

:cheers:

Speedfreak
September 24th, 2003, 19:00
Im glad to see that I'm not alone when I stop reading a magazine that dosen't speak high praise of the M3. Let's all boycott "Evo". They just don't know how to drive. All hail the M3 and BMW. :bow:
"AutoBild" and "AutoItalia", posted marginal differences for the CSL as well, so I don't read those magazines either. :byeM5:

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

johann
September 25th, 2003, 20:19
Originally posted by Speedfreak
Im glad to see that I'm not alone when I stop reading a magazine that dosen't speak high praise of the M3. Let's all boycott "Evo". They just don't know how to drive. All hail the M3 and BMW. :bow:
"AutoBild" and "AutoItalia", posted marginal differences for the CSL as well, so I don't read those magazines either. :byeM5:

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Bad day at work, Munkeeeee? ;)