PDA

View Full Version : Diverter Valve swap

speedtrapped
October 18th, 2010, 14:21
Tired of me yet???? Since I'm going with a new tune, why not spend $300+ on 2 hyperboost diverter valves? That being said, I know where they are located-the only area in engine compartment I'm not afraid to tool around with, But the vac lines look a little frayed. 2 questions, 1) can I get oem vac lines on genuine? or use napa vac lines? 2) the vac lines are held on with clamps I am not familiar with, link crimped? how do i remove?, cut them off at top of nipple of the DV? or ok and 3rd question-do I need to replace those clamps? Do I need another special tool?

JSRS6
October 18th, 2010, 14:40
Ecs(I know) has a full set of replacement vac lines for our cars for pretty cheap, comes with clamps. As for taking off the old clamps, you see where there is a little notch sticking through the overlapping metal? Stick a thin flat head or other prying implement and pry up the end of the clamp till it goes over that notch. It also helps if you can squeeze the clamp with pliers while doing this.

DHall1
October 18th, 2010, 15:01
I 2nd ECS kit

The stock diverter valves will hold just fine. You have the Vag on the way. Could just wait and log everything after you get the flash installed. Chances are the diverters are just fine.

Save the 300 for the Milltek. ;-)

4everRS
October 18th, 2010, 15:01
As JSRS6 has said, it is easiest to pry them apart and remove. Then file them in the round bin in the corner of your garage. Get the silicon lines from ECS and you will not need clamps. Get plenty of feet of line, you'll eventually need to do the rest of them too.

Edit: Ya, what dave said.

JSRS6
October 18th, 2010, 15:26
Heres the kit:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-RS6--4.2T/ES279586/

and it comes with clamps. Not really sure why though as its a negative pressure in the lines, i.e. vacuum. Guess its better to be safe.

JSRS6
October 18th, 2010, 15:27
ok, ordering a set for myself. I suggest everyone who hasnt done this to order now, as they are 86% off. $9.45

speedtrapped
October 18th, 2010, 15:28
I 2nd ECS kit

The stock diverter valves will hold just fine. You have the Vag on the way. Could just wait and log everything after you get the flash installed. Chances are the diverters are just fine.

Save the 300 for the Milltek. ;-)
oh well, lets just say I'm helping the economy then, because I ordered the DV's last thursday....still milltek will be an option post Christmas.....I do have VAG on way, and new compaq laptop, $$$$$$$$$$$$-how easy is it to log? Since I have never data logged before.

DHall1
October 18th, 2010, 15:31
You just pulled the ECU and TCU for repair.

Data logging is much easier.

Haha, you already have the diverters on the way. Cant hurt.

speedtrapped
October 18th, 2010, 15:35
:addict:true, I guess the data will be easier to collect. Now if i can just figure out how to share my time between my cars and my wife(my kids will always get my time), wife, hmmmmm-I am now getting the ur on to a new car and not paying enough attention to me:addict:

speedtrapped
October 18th, 2010, 15:36
btw Dave, It was easy thanks to members like you-appreciate your help.....now I can obsess all week about the tune!

4everRS
October 18th, 2010, 15:38
They don't say it, but they do look like the silicon version.
Heres the kit:

and it comes with clamps. Not really sure why though as its a negative pressure in the lines, i.e. vacuum. Guess its better to be safe.

DHall1
October 18th, 2010, 16:07
Dammit

I just ordered from ECS. Now I have to order those hoses. The discount means the stuff was discontinued by Audi.

Crap

yokust
October 18th, 2010, 16:49
Heres the kit:

Just to everyone knows, that kit is for a 1.8t Beetle update kit.

Granted some of the fittings and tee's might work, but I would almost promise that you would need alot more line for our cars if you are doing it all

JSRS6
October 18th, 2010, 16:53
It does look a little sparse...

marklar182
October 18th, 2010, 17:16
I went with this hose for the OEM look http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/N203531/

And these clamps from McMaster-Carr (you need the install pliers as well) http://www.mcmaster.com/#52545k26/=9bwhta

speedtrapped
October 18th, 2010, 17:50
marklar182 greats heads up, I just swapped my order for 15" of the oem-rather use what Audi uses, the clamp plier, is it a straight jaw type?

marklar182
October 18th, 2010, 17:54
Straight Jaw works fine, the side jaw is for tight spaces. The pliers also have a cutter to remove the old clamps :)

DHall1
October 18th, 2010, 17:58
Your getting everything done right off the bat. Then lay low.

:addict:true, I guess the data will be easier to collect. Now if i can just figure out how to share my time between my cars and my wife(my kids will always get my time), wife, hmmmmm-I am now getting the ur on to a new car and not paying enough attention to me:addict:

speedtrapped
October 18th, 2010, 18:02
OCD, I tend to jump in to deep end first......

V8weight
October 18th, 2010, 19:05
What's going on here? Just replace everything with silicone hose http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-RS6--4.2T/General_Purpose/Hose/Vacuum_Hose/ES250319/

It takes 6 feet to do everything in the engine bay. This stuff fits so tight that no clamps are required. The old clamps should be cut off using a side cutters, snip the loop off holding the sidecutters perpindicular to the clamp. they pop right off. I've removed plenty of them by prying them apart with a screwdriver and a pick, but I've also poked myself in the thumb enough times to know better. Also, most of the connectors are fairly brittle, so the less to have to fiddle with the clamps the better.

Switching to the piston type diverter valves is a great idea, the stock valves can't hold the boost that the EC map ios making. If you want to stick with the diaphram type go with the 710N's, or the ones that Scribe is using (I can't recall the part number). Dave, I thought we just talked about this? Your stock diverters are bleeding boost.

Alright, back to work.

DHall1
October 18th, 2010, 19:19
My stock diverters are not leaking.

No no no! :incar:

marklar182
October 18th, 2010, 22:46
FYI, ECS has a sale on the 710N valves.

ben916
October 18th, 2010, 23:58
My stock diverters are not leaking.

No no no! :incar:

How about your JUNK OEM intercoolers???

speedtrapped
October 19th, 2010, 03:37
Ouch, next on the list, or at least post holidays

tidus888
October 19th, 2010, 08:44
i say always have some silicon spray lube available while touching any kind of hose! i changed my stock DVs to Forge 007 and the only part that slowed me down are the bottom clamps! =)

Aronis
October 20th, 2010, 00:16
pry them apart? I fought with the GD things and just ended up sliding them off the nipples and then cutting the tubing away from inside...

just pry them...dam....

LMAO

speedtrapped
October 20th, 2010, 02:10
DV changed!....ok I'm just gonna bitch a little, PIA. Getting the bottom hoses off, oopha! Damn clamps have been on for 7 years. Ofcourse I didn't want tear them- pb buster and a flat blade used to push each side off uses underside of dv. Slow and patient. Done, no tears. Just waiting on vac line from ecs. Oh yeah and my brains are in transit!

tidus888
October 20th, 2010, 02:24
DV changed!....ok I'm just gonna bitch a little, PIA. Getting the bottom hoses off, oopha! Damn clamps have been on for 7 years. Ofcourse I didn't want tear them- pb buster and a flat blade used to push each side off uses underside of dv. Slow and patient. Done, no tears. Just waiting on vac line from ecs. Oh yeah and my brains are in transit!

what tune? =)

speedtrapped
October 20th, 2010, 03:03
:hahahehe:Hehehe, mtm tcu and some special sauce on the ecu. Eurocharged secret file:revs:

JSRS6
October 20th, 2010, 03:16
If Pat doesn't beat me to it, be careful.

speedtrapped
October 20th, 2010, 12:27
I will, TY

DHall1
October 23rd, 2010, 06:11
My opinion of ECS is going in the dumper.

ECS "says" this kit is discounted from $69.15 to 9.45.

Well the real truth to the matter is this....Plug in the Audi/VW part number and the generic hose repair kit lists for 9.98 and Genuinevwaudiparts.com sells this exact same kit for? Dont hold your breath?

$7.19

Yep, what a crock of stinkin crap. False advertising all the way. The VW part number is 06a198011b

Heres the kit:

JSRS6
October 23rd, 2010, 13:31
My opinion of ECS is going in the dumper.

ECS "says" this kit is discounted from $69.15 to 9.45.

Well the real truth to the matter is this....Plug in the Audi/VW part number and the generic hose repair kit lists for 9.98 and Genuinevwaudiparts.com sells this exact same kit for? Dont hold your breath?

$7.19

Yep, what a crock of stinkin crap. False advertising all the way. The VW part number is 06a198011b

Wow. I had no idea. I will definitely price EVERYTHING on genuine from now on.