PDA

View Full Version : For once everything is running well...

dmross
October 15th, 2010, 16:04
I drove the beast to work this morning. 55F outside, slightly damp road from rain last night. Stomped it up a hill on the highway, already going 60mph and got some wheel spin with traction control light flickering... on 275 PS2s. :D This car is an absolute rocket. I love it. It's nice to feel like it's worth it, even if it's a fleeting experience, after spending this much time and $ to get her running right again.

I started with a beat down MTM RS6. Low miles, full upgrades (turbos, low comp headgasket, exhaust, ecu/tcu, bosch fuel pump, etc) but every problem I can imagine -

constant limp mode issues
slipping TQ converter
leaking diverter valves
missing/disconnected stereo wiring
multiple failed/failing relays
broken contact on MTM ecu
broken harness connectors
trashed DRC
crumbling brake pads and worn out rotors (SQUEEEEEEK)
bent wheels
corroded trans logic board
failed EGT sensors (twice in 1 year)
leaking turbo seals
torn bushings
cv joint
and on and on

Today its nearly perfect.

full IPT trans
new o/e rotors and EBC red pads
wheels repaired & repainted, new tires
DRC recall complete, done correctly!
hotchkis swaybars
wagner intercoolers
rebuilt MTM turbos
APR duck-call diverter valves
resoldered MTM ecu, latest rev
all broken factory stuff fixed (relays, egt, etc, god bless Fidelity warranty)
30k service done early
tons of nit-picking little annoyances that my OCD cant stand, all fixed - missing factory screws, harness connectors with broken tabs, etc.
added 1/8 audio jack connector which is perfect for my MP3 player

And now after all the VAGCOM logging and troubleshooting sessions and frustration, it's running like it should. It truly is a 4k missile and brings joy to my soul. My wallet hurts a bit but being pushed back into the gray leather drivers seat makes the pain go away. Only 28k miles and I plan on keeping her until the warranty runs out or I lose my job. ;)

Lot's of help from this board getting everything sorted. Thanks guys.

DHall1
October 15th, 2010, 16:10
Wow, a true journey of passion. Congrats

Lets see some new pics.

skribe
October 15th, 2010, 16:44
Congrats on getting it sorted, and a shame your car was treated so poorly... Trust fund kid, or what?

I had a similar experience this morning, driving into the office early in 40 degree air... oil temp had just hit 250 as I merged onto I94 in front of a newer WRX. I dropped the hammer, and in the cool air the beast just flat out rocketed to 100... I wish I had a stop watch on it.

The WRX was about a dozen car lengths behind in about ten seconds.

The tingle means it's working. :revs:

DHall1
October 15th, 2010, 17:05
How in the heck do you get oil temps to 250? I cant get em that hot in AZ 115 degree heat.

We need a vag com log of your MTM tune. Can you get one for us(Pat and I)?

Congrats on getting it sorted, and a shame your car was treated so poorly... Trust fund kid, or what?

I had a similar experience this morning, driving into the office early in 40 degree air... oil temp had just hit 250 as I merged onto I94 in front of a newer WRX. I dropped the hammer, and in the cool air the beast just flat out rocketed to 100... I wish I had a stop watch on it.

The WRX was about a dozen car lengths behind in about ten seconds.

The tingle means it's working. :revs:

4everRS
October 15th, 2010, 17:33
My temp almost always hovers around 200. As it is getting a little cooler in MN now, they are staying below 200 in normal driving. If I flog it for a while, it will rise above, but a few mins of soft driving they are back to just under 200. This is when air temps are in the upper 50's f.

JSRS6
October 15th, 2010, 17:37
I'm hoping/thinking he meant 200...

ben916
October 15th, 2010, 17:56
I'm hoping/thinking he meant 200...

Same here, I was envisioning my gauge and yep, 200 is where is should be, at least in my experiences with my stocker and Greg's

bakes
October 15th, 2010, 19:21
please tell me more about the '1/8 audio jack connector which is used for your MP3 player'??

cost and difficulty to install??

skribe
October 15th, 2010, 19:36
Tough crowd! Durh... I meant 200°... Don't know why my fingers typed 250. Stupid fingers.

My car usually hovers around 200 when I'm giving it the spurs and seems to deliver a bit more boost once it hits 190 or so. Yeah, I need to do some fresh logs, it's been awhile...

dmross
October 15th, 2010, 21:38
please tell me more about the '1/8 audio jack connector which is used for your MP3 player'??

cost and difficulty to install??

BlitzSafe AUDI/AUX DMX V.1B
http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/AUDI_AUX_DMX_V1B.html

1. Pull the radio (you can buy the "keys" from that site too)
2. Plug into back of radio
3. Spend 20 mins jamming wires & box in space behind radio until it magically fits.
4. Route wiring to where you want it.

I have the 1/8 jack coming up the side by the handbrake. I could make it even neater but this works well enough. You just choose the CD changer that doesn't exist and it plays. Stereo, no problems works great.

Just be careful when you pull the radio, it's easy to scratch up the plastic if you aren't careful. I'd grab a few rags and stick them between areas of contact when it's sitting pulled out.

snoopra
October 15th, 2010, 23:34
And a rag on the steering column too:), when pulling the instrument panel

bakes
October 16th, 2010, 02:38
BlitzSafe AUDI/AUX DMX V.1B
http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/AUDI_AUX_DMX_V1B.html

1. Pull the radio (you can buy the "keys" from that site too)
2. Plug into back of radio
3. Spend 20 mins jamming wires & box in space behind radio until it magically fits.
4. Route wiring to where you want it.

I have the 1/8 jack coming up the side by the handbrake. I could make it even neater but this works well enough. You just choose the CD changer that doesn't exist and it plays. Stereo, no problems works great.

Just be careful when you pull the radio, it's easy to scratch up the plastic if you aren't careful. I'd grab a few rags and stick them between areas of contact when it's sitting pulled out.

what plugs into that unit to run the ipod or iphone? is there an iphone hook up?

dmross
April 28th, 2011, 15:01
I thought I'd post an update with my latest RS6 adventures. Since my last post, I've dealt with the following:

dead coil pack
tear in wiring harness causing short
leaking axle seal (repaired 3 times)

Then the other day, my wife took the car for the evening. The next morning she tells me it was making noise and was hard to steer. I check the PS fluid and see that it's a bit low and frothing so I top it off to the proper level. By the time I get to work the power steering is no longer functioning and a huge puddle of PS fluid pools up under the car. I take it to the dealership and they tell me that the steering rack is leaking from both ends and needs to be replaced... which, of course, necessitates pulling the engine. The Fidelity adjuster should be there today to confirm their assessment and I'll be cruising in style with my Ford Escape rental for a few days. God bless my Fidelity warranty, best decision ever.

Also, I have decided I'm done with the DRC. Initially I had thought it was done properly, and the car drives ok, but sometimes the back is so much higher than the front and it looks like crap. I bought a set of KW V3s that will hopefully be here in a few days. They will compliment the new wheel setup nicely, but those are still a few weeks out... :D

Speaking of which, is anyone interested in a set of MTM wheels? 19x9.5 ET30. The have been to wheel repair and were repainted but it isn't the best paint job so they could use some love. PM if interested.

http://chrono.firex.org/images/mtmwheel.jpg
http://chrono.firex.org/images/mtmwheels.jpg

PALETTE
April 28th, 2011, 15:36
Dont you just issues! Really hope they get the issue sorted out and get you back on the road soon.

ben916
April 28th, 2011, 17:30
Speaking of which, is anyone interested in a set of MTM wheels? 19x9.5 ET30. The have been to wheel repair and were repainted but it isn't the best paint job so they could use some love. PM if interested.

http://chrono.firex.org/images/mtmwheel.jpg
http://chrono.firex.org/images/mtmwheels.jpg

The MTM LOVE!!!
What is your location?

dmross
April 29th, 2011, 22:19
Pittsburgh. I updated my profile, thanks for the reminder.

The MTM wheels are packed up and ready to head to their new owner. :)

dmross
May 11th, 2011, 15:41
KW V3s installed. I have the Hotchkiss sway bars installed as well and it's a much stiffer. Still running my snow wheels while I wait for the new ones...

http://chrono.firex.org/images/kwv31.jpg
http://chrono.firex.org/images/kwv32.jpg

PALETTE
May 11th, 2011, 16:34
Sits nice!

ben916
May 11th, 2011, 18:55
Those "winters" look like they could claw through most anything adverse or not!!!!

dmross
May 11th, 2011, 19:13
You should see the hills around here in the winter. Those were the cheapest wheels on Tirerack in that size, and considering that I thought they looked pretty cool for Merc knock-offs. ;)

ben916
May 11th, 2011, 19:49
O/T -My hometown is Seattle - born/raised.
The city can handle all the rain you can dump on it...
Seattle can NOT handle any snow as it is a rather hilly city also. People drive like a$$es and leave their brains at home in a box when driving in snow there, or any where.
I couldn't imagine if it snowed here in So Cal...
Funny thing here is: people actually drive faster when it rains. I am not suggesting you have to drive 30mph on the highway when it is raining...

dmross
May 23rd, 2011, 00:39
Went to the dyno (mustang) yesterday and did 3 quick pulls, but unfortunately don't have the most exciting numbers.

First pull was the best at 402wtq 363whp. They had one small fan blowing on the rad and the car instantly heat-soaked. The second and third runs lost 15-20tq/hp successively. At first I was pretty disappointed, but it looks like the car started cutting boost significantly at around 5000rpm and that does not happen on the road. I've always remarked at how sensitive the car seems to temperature, now I'm wondering if the ECU was playing it safe. Time to do some logging!

dmross
May 23rd, 2011, 00:40
I also have some good news...

http://chrono.firex.org/images/vorsteiner.jpg

ETA Friday. Giggity! :D

DHall1
May 23rd, 2011, 02:34
Send me a PM with your email. I would be happy to inspect some data logs.

Went to the dyno (mustang) yesterday and did 3 quick pulls, but unfortunately don't have the most exciting numbers.

First pull was the best at 402wtq 363whp. They had one small fan blowing on the rad and the car instantly heat-soaked. The second and third runs lost 15-20tq/hp successively. At first I was pretty disappointed, but it looks like the car started cutting boost significantly at around 5000rpm and that does not happen on the road. I've always remarked at how sensitive the car seems to temperature, now I'm wondering if the ECU was playing it safe. Time to do some logging!