PDA

View Full Version : RS6 newbie questions

nolubez
October 11th, 2010, 06:55
Hi All, wondering if any of you seasoned '03 RS6 owners can give me some advice about actually owning a high mileage RS6?

I am currently looking to buy one, and am finding that most that are reasonable price are fairly high mileage, any advice on things to look out for?

Are there any high cost maintenence items to be aware of around the >80k miles range?
How about the turbos? I read here that they are pretty solid, wondering what things mostly go wrong and the typical costs for fixing?

I know this is fairly general, I am just trying to get an idea of what I am in for and what to expect.

Thanks a lot!

DHall1
October 11th, 2010, 06:58
The long term carry costs can kill you past 80k without a warranty.

The car may be ok but you will also need to keep 10k in the bank at all times.

Esp if this is your daily driver and only car.

A different story if only a weekend car and the miles dont rack up.

nolubez
October 11th, 2010, 07:11
Yeah, just saw another post almost identical to this one...

Here's my delemna. I test drove an RS6 locally (which was a P.O.S.) but I still fell in love with it... I am currently driving an 03 GTI and think it's time to move up to Audi. I need a daily driver (20+ miles per day) and have been seriously considering a newer chipped A4, however, the extra space of an A6 is nice but I'm not thrilled about the looks of the newer ones and think it would be nicer to have the 4.2 anyway. Now for not much more money I can just get an RS6, but with the extra costs of owning what is pretty much a super car... just not sure... :P

Advice?

DHall1
October 11th, 2010, 07:43
I will say this again. If a high mileage RS6 is your only car and daily driver. Just be ready for the big ticket items and have 10k sitting in the bank for service and repairs.

The long term carry costs can kill you past 80k without a warranty.

The car may be ok but you will also need to keep 10k in the bank at all times.

Esp if this is your daily driver and only car.

A different story if only a weekend car and the miles dont rack up.

mmaturo
October 11th, 2010, 17:11
I will say this again. If a high mileage RS6 is your only car and daily driver. Just be ready for the big ticket items and have 10k sitting in the bank for service and repairs.

Or buy mine where literally everything has been replaced already and car looks fantastic...not kidding.

ben916
October 11th, 2010, 20:12
It can be a DD for 20+ miles (I am driving -20 miles total M-F).
High miles - well, you are gonna have to do what Dave suggested.
Then you will have to have EVERYTHING checked and flushed/filled/changed/rotated/replaced... Then you are good for 20k miles or so...
There are a ton of threads (I smell a sticky coming on) about what to look for in a used RS6...

DHall1
October 11th, 2010, 20:53
Or as another poster said just a few days ago.

Go buy the B8 S4. Its just as fast and better handling.

Go figure.