PDA

View Full Version : Replace the RS6 with ???

CornersWell
October 10th, 2010, 19:50
Okay, guys, the RS6, while a wonderful car in pretty much every respect, is starting to tick me off. Too much is going wrong with it. Anyway, I'm curious what you all think of the S8 or the S6. Neither's up to the RS6 in terms of performance, but, frankly, the roads are atrocious. So, performance isn't perhaps even useful. I like both the S8 and the S6 fine, but I'm also considering an Avant (S6, if I can find a newer one).

All comments are welcome. My original thought is something that I can do a fair bit of errand running around town with, and the smaller body size might make more sense in this regard. We have an A8L in CO, and I do think it's a bit of a boat. But, it's definitely in the running.

Thanks,

CW

DHall1
October 10th, 2010, 20:52
Be careful what you wish for

On a nice sunday drive my Mustang broke down on me today. I should have taken the Audi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbp_TtE5wMM

DHall1
October 10th, 2010, 20:55
IMHO you're just going thru the normal items that break at this mileage. Get over the hump with TC,alt and some of the other items and its smooth sailing again.

Have you chipped your TCU with the MTM yet? If not, do it after getting the car back.

We are not getting the S6 avant any time soon but I did have the chance to drive a A6 avant with the 3.0t and sport package. A very nice ride with plenty of performance.

Bad roads? What do you mean? I thought the 800 billion dollar stimulus took care of that.

s42ski
October 10th, 2010, 21:09
well if only 4 rings will do then I would look at the A6 avant - otherwise BMW 550ix - four wheel drive, twin turbo v8, 4 years all maintenance - does this sound familiar..... Hello AOA - anyone home???

CornersWell
October 10th, 2010, 21:20
Since I do want AWD/4WD, it's down to the MB 4Matic, BMW or Audi. I think the 4Matic and BMW, while nice cars, don't have the performance that the Audis do. That said, they're good choices, all. My single biggest objection to the BMW is that I have to deal with the BMW dealers. They are horrendous here, and having been through that with several M3s in my early 20's, I'm not interested in dealing with them again. That said, I can certainly go and have another look.

The MB is another kettle. We have an E500 4Matic and an E500 4Matic Estate in the garage, which I drive regularly enough to know I think they're "mushy" in comparison to the RS6. Handling, braking, accelerating, and turning. A MUCH more comfortable ride, no doubt, but kind of vague. In fact, my best friend drove my RS6 and said, "there's nothing on the market you'd want." He just bought the new E63, which he thinks is junk. But, he has to drive something.

I am exceedingly disappointed in AoA for not bringing the C6 RS6 Saloon. Or the Avant RS6. Just amazingly shortsighted of them. That said, let's see how the TC works out. The alternator's good. It was just in for the 55K service. The shop tells me they've never had an RS6 in in such good shape. I do try to take care of my vehicles. There's no urgency in this, but it looks like we'll be selling one of the MBs off shortly due to a terminal illness in the family. It'll be an extra car in the garage. So, I was kind of brainstorming: could trade it towards something and then sell the RS6. So, maybe I'm ahead of myself, and just doing some thinking out loud. But, there's no question that this is a difficult car to follow. I still feel it's the single best car, overall, I've ever owned and am reluctant to part with it. Despite the PITAs along the way. But, it's now almost 7 years old. Fully-covered by independent warranty for another 3 years and almost 45K miles. So, there's no need to do anything with it. But, I really hate the fact that it's sitting in the shop for weeks and weeks at a stretch.

CW

ben916
October 10th, 2010, 22:33
MERC:
1. fuel tanks exploding - break out the bratwurst - free fire to roast by
2. bad trans (not tranny - that is a different meaning) - dont have to worry about stopping like BMW - hell, ya cant go anywhere..

BMW:
1. non-functional brakes - full operational tests of Airbag systems complete with personal experiences to boot...
2. Don't make me come up with more...

Audi RS6:
1. sitting in the shop for weeks? - Go purchase another super low mileage C5 - problem solved :)
2. Wanting the C6 RS6? - TJ has plenty of available properties to purchase and Mexico City has several C6 in stock - perfect for the shakedown run...

OMG! I AM a solution provider - I am running for president

skribe
October 10th, 2010, 22:35
MTM S4?

Blah 8 characters

DHall1
October 10th, 2010, 23:59
If the roads are that bad

Why not ditch the 20" wheels and go 255/35/19 on some nice 19s.

I agree with your E63 buddy. Stick it out and slap some mods on the beast.

TozoM8
October 11th, 2010, 00:13
If you are talking about C5 S6 or D2 S8 then the S8 is way better choice. Same weight, but a bit more power and way higher quality car. C5 if you want an Avant.

Okay, guys, the RS6, while a wonderful car in pretty much every respect, is starting to tick me off. Too much is going wrong with it. Anyway, I'm curious what you all think of the S8 or the S6. Neither's up to the RS6 in terms of performance, but, frankly, the roads are atrocious. So, performance isn't perhaps even useful. I like both the S8 and the S6 fine, but I'm also considering an Avant (S6, if I can find a newer one).

All comments are welcome. My original thought is something that I can do a fair bit of errand running around town with, and the smaller body size might make more sense in this regard. We have an A8L in CO, and I do think it's a bit of a boat. But, it's definitely in the running.

Thanks,

CW

speedtrapped
October 11th, 2010, 02:36
I can tell ya from experience , short with the rs6, but I have an 07' S8, bought her in may, 21500 miles, black on black, cpo'ed for 3 years, paid 58k- def high performance, I have showed up many a young man in there hem chargers etc. The car is huge, and has a lot of grunt, I would say linear power, you can set the ride, from dynamic( hard) to auto(soft) so rough roads not a problem. I love the S8, nothing packing the kids and wife in and blazing down the road all in lux. Still the rs6 is special, I knew getting in that she is gongs cost me, but she gives back so good. mB ugh, BMW sure mr. Smith , Audi is special.

skribe
October 11th, 2010, 02:59
I just had a brilliant beer-enabled idea. Get an S8. Send it to Heffner and have them figure a way to squeeze their Gallardo turbo kit onto the back of the V10. Enjoy your 900 hp S8.

Roger
October 11th, 2010, 04:00
To run errands? Go for a 2008 RS4. Need more room? Go for the 2008 or 09 S8. I'm in the process of making that decision right now. I also considered the new X5M, but I dislike the boring BMW interior.

speedtrapped
October 11th, 2010, 12:37
I love the way u think....I at first thought how can I make her faster? she is a lambo based engine(er Audi, VW)...dont laugh I asked about TT her, every one came back, u want to blow 420-30k more?, the answer was No, the answer was RS6

Benman
October 11th, 2010, 16:50
well if only 4 rings will do then I would look at the A6 avant - otherwise BMW 550ix - four wheel drive, twin turbo v8, 4 years all maintenance - does this sound familiar..... Hello AOA - anyone home???

Ditto that. I think you'll miss the AWD TT experience too much with the S8. S4 could work, but I'd second the BMW nod. That, or keep the RS 6. :cheers:

Ben :addict:

ZCD2.7T
October 11th, 2010, 17:17
Why not a B8 S4? Almost as quick as the C5 RS 6, habitable back seat, better handling than any RS 6 has ever had.

4everRS
October 11th, 2010, 17:56
Those are fightin' words
Why not a B8 S4? Almost as quick as the C5 RS 6, habitable back seat, better handling than any RS 6 has ever had.

DHall1
October 11th, 2010, 17:56
Really?

Do we all need to sell our RS6s and buy S4s?

better handling than any RS 6 has ever had.

CornersWell
October 11th, 2010, 18:02
Once we get into the A4/S4/RS4, I think the size is too small. I think they'd be a good choice, and I thought about an S4 Avant as a possibility. This will be, primarily, a grocery-getter with the ability to do duty picking up stuff at Home Depot/Lowe's for the most part. I just want the flexibility if I need it. My intention, initially, was to replace my all-purpose and only car at the moment with something equally good. The S8 may be too large and perhaps plush. The S6 is about the right size, but I'd prefer the Avant, if I could get it. The S4 is too small, I reckon, as it really can't hold 4 full-size adults comfortably for anything longer than a quick trip.

It's a tough trade-off. The S6 is the closest to what I'm looking for, by my calculations. And, I don't necessarily want to go to a pure "utility" car/wagon and then have a second, high-performance car in the garage. I'd rather stick with just one. But, the Aston DBS sure does look appealing...

CW

speedtrapped
October 11th, 2010, 18:03
Hmmm I know I might catch lip for this, but actually test drove 08' RS4 before buying RS6, handled great, but hell so does my RS6(Ty KWv3), honestly I was not impressed with the power band, in fairness we were on a heavy trafficked street, and county road. But I expected the car to leap, it was stick and its been a while, but she didnt leap or pull as hard as the RS6....IMO

ZCD2.7T
October 11th, 2010, 18:20
Really?

Do we all need to sell our RS6s and buy S4s?

Not suggesting that at all. It's just simple physics, really:

Smaller size + lower weight + better weight distribution + rear-biased quattro (40/60 F/R) = better handling. If you add the (optional) rear Sport Differential (torque-vectoring), the difference is even more pronounced.

Also runs ~12.9 @ 110 mph in the 1/4 mile, so should hang right with the C5 RS6 in a straight line....

Just sayin'....

ZCD2.7T
October 11th, 2010, 18:22
Hmmm I know I might catch lip for this, but actually test drove 08' RS4 before buying RS6, handled great, but hell so does my RS6(Ty KWv3), honestly I was not impressed with the power band, in fairness we were on a heavy trafficked street, and county road. But I expected the car to leap, it was stick and its been a while, but she didnt leap or pull as hard as the RS6....IMO

B7 RS 4 and B8 S4 are not related.

skribe
October 12th, 2010, 05:48
Not suggesting that at all. It's just simple physics

Thanks for the lesson, professor. What is it with 2.7t guys?

The S4 is too small. Otherwise I would be driving one. But these two cars aren't comparable for many reasons, good and bad on either side.

DHall1
October 12th, 2010, 05:52
I have not driven the B8 S4 but I have taken the new A6 avant for a drive. I was impressed with performance.

I cant say how the S4 would stack up against my car. I just cant get over the sound of the 3.0 to get excited about it.

Can anyone find the B8 S4 time around the ring? The C5 RS6 in stock form runs in at 8:20.

ZCD2.7T
October 12th, 2010, 16:46
Thanks for the lesson, professor. What is it with 2.7t guys?

Sheesh - thin skin much?

The OP asked for alternatives to replace his RS6. I see the B8 S4 as a legitimate possibility. It's only my opinion, which is what the OP asked for....

JSRS6
October 12th, 2010, 17:17
Lol, I WAS a 2.7t guy. 2000 nogaro s4, 2001.5 santorin s4.

Then I moved on to greener pastures...

DHall1
October 12th, 2010, 18:47
IMHO the OP wanted feedback from real world experience and not just performance on paper.

The C5 RS6 experience is emotional. While the B8 S4 is a nice car I cant say its an option for a RS6 owner. I have not driven the B8 S4 but have the A6avant with the same engine. I can only say this....having owned the C5 RS6/the B8 S4 does nothing for me to replace it. Zero.

Now, the other posters with real world experience in both RS6 and say BMW 550ix Msport...they give a real world experience to both situations. Would I consider the 550ix Msport? Yes.

Its that simple. Audi is missing the boat yet again. How many times do we need to read RS6 owners selling and not buying another Audi? What do they buy? M5s, 550ix, Panamera, XF, S65, E63 ect, ect. I would think this would concern Audi. But what the hell do I know.

I have not driven the B8 S4 but I have taken the new A6 avant for a drive. I was impressed with performance.

I cant say how the S4 would stack up against my car. I just cant get over the sound of the 3.0 to get excited about it.

Can anyone find the B8 S4 time around the ring? The C5 RS6 in stock form runs in at 8:20.

hahnmgh63
October 12th, 2010, 20:30
The B8 S4 is #200~#300 lighter than the RS6 but with over 100hp less and even more so with chipped RS6's 150~200bhp? No way it is going to keep up in a straight line, I just proved it about two weeks ago when a new S4 tried to challenge me on a two lane merging into one. I pulled on him by a couple of car lengths by the merge. I started out medium to see if he was going to let me by but he punched it then I dropped the hammer. Needless to say I believe he was surprised. Probably didn't even know what an old time RS6 Audi was.

Jimmy
October 12th, 2010, 21:32
How about an Audi W12 instead of the S8?

Its good enough for 'The Transporter' :hihi:

..... www.coventrymotorcar.com (http://www.coventrymotorcar.com)

DHall1
October 12th, 2010, 22:48
How quickly the normal public forget about the power in the tuned beast.

The B8 S4 is #200~#300 lighter than the RS6 but with over 100hp less and even more so with chipped RS6's 150~200bhp? No way it is going to keep up in a straight line, I just proved it about two weeks ago when a new S4 tried to challenge me on a two lane merging into one. I pulled on him by a couple of car lengths by the merge. I started out medium to see if he was going to let me by but he punched it then I dropped the hammer. Needless to say I believe he was surprised. Probably didn't even know what an old time RS6 Audi was.

ben916
October 12th, 2010, 22:50

Yield to the king! Nice...

skribe
October 12th, 2010, 23:07
Sheesh - thin skin much?

The OP asked for alternatives to replace his RS6. I see the B8 S4 as a legitimate possibility. It's only my opinion, which is what the OP asked for....

Read the thead. I originally threw out the S4 as a possibility (with an MTM tune, as the car just doesn't feel that real-world fast to me stock) OP said the back seat was too small (same for me.)

It's not just simple physics, really. There is a massive qualitative and packaging difference, and when OP said S4 was too small, S4 goes off the list.

Thin skin? Hells yeah!

http://blog.hmns.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/skateboard.jpg

CornersWell
October 12th, 2010, 23:14
Hey, no worries, guys. Not worth fighting over. I'm still waiting for the RS6 return. Anxiously, actually. These MBs are like driving a sponge.

CW

DHall1
October 13th, 2010, 02:23
Never let a good fight go to waste. Did I miss the fight?

I must be getting soft.

Hey, no worries, guys. Not worth fighting over. I'm still waiting for the RS6 return. Anxiously, actually. These MBs are like driving a sponge.

CW

ZCD2.7T
October 13th, 2010, 14:33
IMHO the OP wanted feedback from real world experience and not just performance on paper. I have not driven the B8 S4 but have the A6avant with the same engine.

So, you're commenting without actually having driven both cars? Interesting.

I actually HAVE driven the B8 S4, and it's a sweet ride. Smaller, yes, but roomier than any previous S4, and the only A4/S4 where the back seat is adequate for my 6' 2" 195 lb. frame.

Regarding its straight-line performance, here's what it will do with a simple APR re-flash:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygu8c_LNhfc

speedtrapped
October 13th, 2010, 14:47
Ok, I test drove an 08' RS4 @ Bell Audi-6-4" 240lbs(go ahead, I dare ya to knock the battery off my shoulder) and it was roomy enough in front, but forget back seat, behind me there was nada(no suprise), I liked the look of the car and before getting my RS6 wanted to take it for a spin, my cousin is a huge a4,s4 etc fan. At time I could only compare it to my 07' S8(at least for power)-yes it was a stick, and its been about 2 years since my 911, but like Skribe, I was unimpressed w/ power, sorry just my Opine....

DHall1
October 13th, 2010, 14:52
I was trying so hard not to get into the argument.

I failed again.

Once we get into the A4/S4/RS4, I think the size is too small. I think they'd be a good choice, and I thought about an S4 Avant as a possibility. This will be, primarily, a grocery-getter with the ability to do duty picking up stuff at Home Depot/Lowe's for the most part. I just want the flexibility if I need it. My intention, initially, was to replace my all-purpose and only car at the moment with something equally good. The S8 may be too large and perhaps plush. The S6 is about the right size, but I'd prefer the Avant, if I could get it. The S4 is too small, I reckon, as it really can't hold 4 full-size adults comfortably for anything longer than a quick trip.

It's a tough trade-off. The S6 is the closest to what I'm looking for, by my calculations. And, I don't necessarily want to go to a pure "utility" car/wagon and then have a second, high-performance car in the garage. I'd rather stick with just one. But, the Aston DBS sure does look appealing...

CW

CornersWell
October 13th, 2010, 15:20
As I think through the differences in driving experience between the 4, 6 and 8-series, the things I like about the 6 is that they're in-between. Reasonably maneuverable in-town, and reasonably stable on the highway. I find the shorter wheelbase cars to be less stable at higher speeds, and the bigger cars to be less darty around town. The mid-sized chassis provides a good balance between those.

CW

as350
October 13th, 2010, 16:22
How about the A7/S7? Would it fit in your schedule to hold off replacing the RS6 right away and test driving the A7? Reviews so far are all positive.

Benman
October 13th, 2010, 19:17
How about the A7/S7? Would it fit in your schedule to hold off replacing the RS6 right away and test driving the A7? Reviews so far are all positive. Hey, I like this idea. :cheers: