PDA

View Full Version : Bad states to buy from?

DreamingOfCars
October 7th, 2010, 16:53
It's been mentioned a few times that some states are better to buy from than others - example, staying away from salt. Are all NE cars bad choices then? What about other states?

What about Las Vegas?

Seems like the dealer is motivated to move this one, Carfax isn't on Auto Trader but it is on their website. It's a 2 owner, with all records done at this dealership. Nothing too funny looking, and I'm assuming they can pull all records. In the picture, the dealer was originally trying to get 31.9 and now they have it down to 23.9, been sitting on Auto Trader for a while:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=283806602&dealer_id=54710133&car_year=2003&rdm=1286465641963&lastStartYear=1981&num_records=25&model=RS6&start_year=1981&body_code=0&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&sownerid=44320186&first_record=1&make=AUDI&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&seller_type=b&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=98008&end_year=2011&pager.offset=0&cardist=867&standard=false

ben916
October 7th, 2010, 17:04
concur on the NE states...

LV would be good but black in LV?!?!?! Wha?!?! too hot... no, I know you are driving it back to Seatown...
I would request more photos as it looks like they conveniently left out the FRONT rotor photo(s).

So it is Black/Black/Carbon/SE - for sure
can't tell on Warm Weather Package as I don't see the tabs for the rear doors and the ad states "Moonroof" on solar

The ad is rather sparse...

DreamingOfCars
October 7th, 2010, 17:09
Same thoughts on the colors. I was debating whether it would be a good idea to drive it back up. I also agree on the sparseness, it's a pretty terrible ad.

I've been making the rounds through the private party ads on AT, as I expected there are too many people out of sync with the market value of the car (some even told me they would only get 20-22 on trade, but they somehow expect 30+ from private party).

DHall1
October 7th, 2010, 17:16
I have been offered 40k for my car in the last 2 months. I passed.

The good ones have no issues and extended warranty coverage.

The bad ones need to get dumped for 20-25k.

If you dont want to pay 30+ then dont. But dont knock the owners that ask over 30k. If you're the guy calling owners and talking them down on price just because trade in is xyz. Then shame on you.

Trade in prices will always be next to nothing. The value in these cars is condition, maint history, ext warranty and how it was treated.

As far as this LV car. The issue with Vegas is heat, sun and rock chips. My concerns on this car at that price are paint work, accident, sun fading, rock chips.

ben916
October 7th, 2010, 17:22
Same thoughts on the colors. I was debating whether it would be a good idea to drive it back up. I also agree on the sparseness, it's a pretty terrible ad.

I've been making the rounds through the private party ads on AT, as I expected there are too many people out of sync with the market value of the car (some even told me they would only get 20-22 on trade, but they somehow expect 30+ from private party).

I sent you an ad about a forum member that is selling his Black RS6... ???

skribe
October 7th, 2010, 20:31
I have been offered 40k for my car in the last 2 months. I passed.

The good ones have no issues and extended warranty coverage.

The bad ones need to get dumped for 20-25k.

If you dont want to pay 30+ then dont. But dont knock the owners that ask over 30k. If you're the guy calling owners and talking them down on price just because trade in is xyz. Then shame on you.

Trade in prices will always be next to nothing. The value in these cars is condition, maint history, ext warranty and how it was treated.

As far as this LV car. The issue with Vegas is heat, sun and rock chips. My concerns on this car at that price are paint work, accident, sun fading, rock chips.

+1. Trade-in value is having less and less to do with market value for the really good ones as the really good ones become more scarce. I can't begrudge a guy with a perfect example for telling you to take a hike if you're trying to negotiate up from trade-in. I'm not saying don't be a smart negotiator, but also don't be insulted when you get stonewalled by a guy who's parked at a certain price because he has a really good one. That happened to me once on my search, we both moved a bit but ended up stuck with 3k between us, I moved on.

But then again, I'm a Milton Friedman fan, and I also think "trade-in value" exists solely for the stealership to screw people.