PDA

View Full Version : My newest Dilemma

AudiRS4ever
October 7th, 2010, 15:33
So, as most of you know I have begun my trek to the Dark Side. I have definitely had it with Audi's customer service, or lack there-of. And even worse, is their dealers. I have been purchasing BMW's for over a year now, and have been planning on ordering the new M5 when it debuts. However, this is where the dilemma starts. The main problem I have with the M5, or all M cars for that matter is that they are rear wheel drive. I have never driven the RS6 in the snow, so that's really not why I like all-wheel drive. I just like the way all-wheel drive cars handle and drive. Still, I thought that was going to be my only choice. Man was I wrong. Introduce the 550Xi M Sport.
So I took out the new 550Xi and kept it overnight. My God, what a car! Yes, it's bigger. Yes, it's a little bit cushier than an RS car or an M car for that matter. But the power is absolutely amazing. There is almost no turbo lag at all. And that damn thing pulls straight to redline with no taper-off like most turbo cars. I was very suspect that the 8-speed automatic would gear hunt and not be a good match for the car. Man was I wrong. The car stays right in its power band. The EDC (electric dampening control) is awesome. In Comfort mode the car drove like a freaking Lexus. And in Sport it was actually firmer than my RS6. The brakes felt up to the task, and since I have Alcon's on the RS I don't think it's fare to compare the 2 cars in that respect.
I understand that there is over 10 years seperating the 2 cars, so I'm not shocked at how much better I think the BMW is. What does shock me is that the interior is now as nice as an Audi's. The car feels and looks so much better than the 2010 535Xi I drive daily.
So here's the dilemma. Do I hold out for the M5, which will be more in keeping with the RS6, but without the all-wheel drive? Or do I just order a new 550Xi and put a chip and exhaust on the car? I guess my biggest thing is that I can happily sell the RS6 (wife will only let me have one extra car in CO for now) and get the new 550Xi, but I am wondering if I will get the itch again in a year when the M5 comes out. I know I'll loose my ass like nobody's business if I try to sell the 550 in a year, so that's where I keep getting hung up.
Thought I'd throw this thread out as it is something different and I do enjoy hearing what you guys have to say. I'm not really interested in what the BMW forums have to say. So ponder and please respond. Hopefully Dave isn't playing golf today. :lovl:

LIRS6
October 7th, 2010, 15:42
"So I took out the new 550Xi and kept it overnight. My God, what a car! Yes, it's bigger. Yes, it's a little bit cushier than an RS car or an M car for that matter. But the power is absolutely amazing. There is almost no turbo lag at all. And that damn thing pulls straight to redline with no taper-off like most turbo cars. I was very suspect that the 8-speed automatic would gear hunt and not be a good match for the car. Man was I wrong. The car stays right in its power band. The EDC (electric dampening control) is awesome."

Etc.

Didn't you answer your own question?

DHall1
October 7th, 2010, 15:44
Oh crap. No golf only because they are all closed down here. Overseeding season for winter season grass. Let me ponder this a few hrs.....

Do you have a Vag-com? If so, will you get me a data log? I will email you the testing parameters. It will take 15min.

AudiRS4ever
October 7th, 2010, 16:12
"So I took out the new 550Xi and kept it overnight. My God, what a car! Yes, it's bigger. Yes, it's a little bit cushier than an RS car or an M car for that matter. But the power is absolutely amazing. There is almost no turbo lag at all. And that damn thing pulls straight to redline with no taper-off like most turbo cars. I was very suspect that the 8-speed automatic would gear hunt and not be a good match for the car. Man was I wrong. The car stays right in its power band. The EDC (electric dampening control) is awesome."

Etc.

Didn't you answer your own question?

Yes and No. I know I'd like this car more than the RS6. What I don't know is would I like it more than the M5 when it comes out. Hence the question. Most of you have had or have many cars and maybe could help with this delimma. I typically keep my cars for about 3 or 4 years so before I order a 550Xi or decide to hold for the M5 I wanted some opinions. Thanks!

AudiRS4ever
October 7th, 2010, 16:13
Oh crap. No golf only because they are all closed down here. Overseeding season for winter season grass. Let me ponder this a few hrs.....

Do you have a Vag-com? If so, will you get me a data log? I will email you the testing parameters. It will take 15min.

Yep, got one. If I have time you know I don't mind doing that for you. Just let me know.

LIRS6
October 7th, 2010, 18:40
Yes and No. I know I'd like this car more than the RS6. What I don't know is would I like it more than the M5 when it comes out. Hence the question. Most of you have had or have many cars and maybe could help with this delimma. I typically keep my cars for about 3 or 4 years so before I order a 550Xi or decide to hold for the M5 I wanted some opinions. Thanks!

To elaborate, you mentioned a distinct preference for all-wheel drive. Given that comment, and your great enthusiasm for the 550ix, I thought it reasonable to believe that the choice was obvious - the 550ix. If you want the M3 because your heart is more in it, then go with your heart.

DHall1
October 7th, 2010, 18:46
M5 not M3.

It depends on how the M5tt handles and drives. It could just blow you away and you will never even think about the lack of AWD.

ben916
October 7th, 2010, 19:00
M5 ... and you will never even think about the lack of AWD.

Especially at the stealership with the 4yr maint. plan included...
Until is snows or is wet outside...

LIRS6
October 7th, 2010, 19:03
M5 not M3.

It depends on how the M5tt handles and drives. It could just blow you away and you will never even think about the lack of AWD.

my bad - I meant M5

AudiRS4ever
October 7th, 2010, 19:15
I figured you meant M5. I guess that is a problem that I keep going round and round with. I've owned M5's before and it wasn't a problem only having 2 wheels driving the car. They were also 400 horsepower, not 580+ as the new one will have. I drove the now defunct M5 and again, it had no problem with traction. But that car also didn't have any torque, so it didn't break the tires loose. Now BMW is finally getting it right with a car that has massive amounts of torque and horsepower. How is going to do with that much of both? Who knows? I think the reason I like the 550Xi so much is because to me it is a perfect comparison to the RS6. The M5 cannot be, because it is missing the one thing that makes the RS6 stick like glue to the road. Also, the one thing I forgot to mention is that the way I have spec'd the 550 it comes in at $78,550. The M5 will most likely come in at $115-120,000. Is the new M5 going to be $30k more special than the 550Xi? Anyone's guess at this point. Like I said, it's delimma I'm happy to have, but also food for thought for the rest of you. And just an FYI, if I pull the trigger early and get a 550 and dump the RS6 I'm still coming back to this forum to harass you guys. :hey:

ben916
October 7th, 2010, 19:19
if I pull the trigger early and get a 550 and dump the RS6 I'm still coming back to this forum to harass you guys. :hey:

IF you do, I am claiming your username...

s42ski
October 7th, 2010, 19:21
So I am not the only one!

I also test drove the 550Xi and was really impressed, the changes from the settings on the suspension, the power as well as the electronics ( did you try the blind spot camera's?) - all very impressive. BMW got it right with the 550. Plus the ability to chip it and get more power. 4.4 l with 400 hp means there is lots of upward potential. I do take the RS6 skiing so the 4 wheel drive matters a lot. Right now the 550 is going to be my next car. I intend to keep the beast until the extended warranty runs out.

skribe
October 7th, 2010, 19:26
If it were me, I'd do the 550 with a tune, wheels, and exhaust and STILL be way, way ahead of the price of the next M5 and 99% as good. But I might still be jaded based on the last M5, I was not a fan of that car.

It really boils down to how much you value the cachet of driving an "M" car... you have to be honest with yourself on that one. :)

550Xi M Sport is a beaut...

http://media.il.edmunds-media.com/bmw/5-series-m-sports/ns/bmw_5-series-m-sports_front_ns_70210_717.jpg

AudiRS4ever
October 7th, 2010, 20:23
If it were me, I'd do the 550 with a tune, wheels, and exhaust and STILL be way, way ahead of the price of the next M5 and 99% as good. But I might still be jaded based on the last M5, I was not a fan of that car.

It really boils down to how much you value the cachet is driving an "M" car... you have to be honest with yourself on that one. :)

I'm with you on the last M5. I really tried to like that car and just never could. And being honest with myself there is something special about the M cars just like the RS cars. But having owned 3 RS4's and driving the new S4 I would be lieing if I said I wouldn't take the new S4. Ahhhhh decisions decisions..........

http://media.il.edmunds-media.com/bmw/5-series-m-sports/ns/bmw_5-series-m-sports_front_ns_70210_717.jpg

[QUOTE=skribe;198678]If it were me, I'd do the 550 with a tune, wheels, and exhaust and STILL be way, way ahead of the price of the next M5 and 99% as good. But I might still be jaded based on the last M5, I was not a fan of that car.

It really boils down to how much you value the cachet is driving an "M" car... you have to be honest with yourself on that one. :)

I'm with you on the last M5. I really tried to like that car and just never could. And being honest with myself there is something special about the M cars just like the RS cars. But having owned 3 RS4's and driving the new S4 I would be lieing if I said I wouldn't take the new S4. Ahhhhh decisions decisions..........

DHall1
October 7th, 2010, 20:29
Would you like to join Pat and myself on our assult of Colorado next week? Avus RS6's only need apply

AudiRS4ever
October 7th, 2010, 20:39
That's funny. What part of CO?

skribe
October 7th, 2010, 20:45
But having owned 3 RS4's and driving the new S4 I would be lieing if I said I wouldn't take the new S4. Ahhhhh decisions decisions..........

I have a bud that has the new S4. If the back seat wasn't too small for my needs, an MTM tuned 2010 S4 would be my DD right now.

On a totally unrelated note, I'm growing a Pavlovian distaste for the S5 based solely on some of the j-holes who drive them. They are today's beemer drivers of the '80s.

AudiRS4ever
October 7th, 2010, 20:55
They're not just from the 80's, they're still currently out there. Why do you think I call them the Ultimate Yuppie Machines? Agreed on a lot of S5 drivers though. Most of them used to own BMW's.

AudiRS4ever
October 7th, 2010, 22:17
So I am not the only one!

I also test drove the 550Xi and was really impressed, the changes from the settings on the suspension, the power as well as the electronics ( did you try the blind spot camera's?) - all very impressive. BMW got it right with the 550. Plus the ability to chip it and get more power. 4.4 l with 400 hp means there is lots of upward potential. I do take the RS6 skiing so the 4 wheel drive matters a lot. Right now the 550 is going to be my next car. I intend to keep the beast until the extended warranty runs out.

I did see the top view camera where it shows both sides of the car, but I honestly just liked the rear camera. When all 3 were the views were just too small. Still pretty cool though.

papadoc
October 8th, 2010, 04:03
If you go this route, seriously consider getting some Dinan upgrades. Had 3 bimmers before the RS6, all with Dinan tunes, and all reliable. They already have a chip for the 550i and will have the 550ix software released next month- 495 hp, 573 lb ft of torque. That ought to get you to the slopes in time for the first run...

AudiRS4ever
October 8th, 2010, 14:01
If you go this route, seriously consider getting some Dinan upgrades. Had 3 bimmers before the RS6, all with Dinan tunes, and all reliable. They already have a chip for the 550i and will have the 550ix software released next month- 495 hp, 573 lb ft of torque. That ought to get you to the slopes in time for the first run...

I've had Dinan in quite a few BMW's I've owned and you're right, they are a good company. The only problem I have with them is that they report everything to BMWNA. I did have a problem with a Dinan BMW once and even though the car only had 3,000 miles on it BMW said it was because of the Dinan software. Dinan said it was BMW's problem. In the end I paid for the replacement of a torque converter. I thought that was pretty shitty and when the new one went in it did the same thing. We took the Dinan software out and the car started driving right again. So it was Dinan's problem and not BMW. That said, I like their products, but I don't think the warranty the say they put on the car if BMW doesn't cover it is worth much. I've also been looking at Active Autowerks. I have a buddy with a 335Xi with their software and intercooler and it's damn near as fast as the RS6. Either way, if I go the 550 route a chip will be going in 1 mile after the car's broken in. Thanks for the heads-up on the software from Dinan.

AudiRS4ever
October 11th, 2010, 14:50
It's a happy Monday and I've done some thinking over the weekend. Skribe and everyone else thank you for your comments. Skribe, you hit it on the head with the be honest with yourself comment on the M5. There is something special about M cars, just like RS cars. Being honest with myself I think I really am going to want the M5. However, after reading more about the Dinan chip that papadoc mentioned I can't see how I would be dissapointed with the 550Xi chipped.
So here's what I concluded. I'm going the route of a BMW. Whether that's the 550Xi or the M5 it's going to be one of the 2. I've wanted a new 5 series ever since I drove the launch car 5 months ago. It's just too good of a car to ignore. I am going to wait until spring to either order a 550Xi or decide to wait another 6 or so months and order the M5 when it debuts. As it stands I am still the first person on the list at my dealership and I told them I intend to keep that spot for the time being.
Now, with this being decided in my tiny little head the next thing to do is sell the RS6. We have less than 2 more weeks that I can drive it and then we will get snow and plenty of sand trucks and mag chloride. The RS doesn't see that kind of stuff. So it will be under a car cover until March of next year. My thinking, it's not going to worth any more next year than it is now. So I may as well sell the thing and start making room for my next venture.
Dave and I have talked about it, but I may as well ask you guys what I should ask for the car just to get some more input. Oh and Dave, how could I thank other people on the board without thanking you? From the email you sent out this weekend you made me famous. Or is that infamous? :lovl:
Here's a list of everything it has and a description. I intend to have it on Auto Trader by the end of the week. Thanks guys.

Avus Ext, Black Int.
23,100 miles
2nd Owner
12/03 Production, so one of the last ones
Miltek Downpipes and Cats
Miltek Resonated Exhaust
OCT Stage 2 Chip (ECU and TCU)
Hyperboost Diverter Valves
H-Sport Sways
Window Tint
Audi OEM Aero Wipers
DRC Recall performed
RNS-E Navigation
Hardwire for Valentine One
Triple Blink Mod
Audi Ipod Adapter
LED Tail Lights
Custom box in side compartment of trunk with JL Audio W6 and Nakamichi Amplifier
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Last 1,000 miles work performed:
Valve Cover Gaskets
Oil Change using Red Line 5w40 (last oil change 6/28/2010)
Rear Rotors and pads with EBC Reds
Spark Plugs
Air Box rubber seals
Fuel Filter
Brake Switch
Fuel Injector Flush
Wagner Intercoolers with Foglight Delete Kit
Brake Flush with ATE Super Blue
New Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's on stock wheels
OEM RS4 Titanium Wheels with Dunlop Sport Maxx GT’s 99% tread remaining
Front Bumper resprayed and complete clear bra
Window Tint removed and reinstalled new tint.
Audi OEM Bluetooth
Audi OEM European RS6 front seats
Custom made floor mats with RS6 logo and trimmed in silver/white leather (installed 7/14/10)
Alcon Big Brake Kit for front axle.
Fidelity Audi Pure Protection Warranty Platinum (over 2 years remaining)
Clear corner headlight mod
City light mod using LED Pure White lights
Audi OEM battery (replaced less than a year ago)
BND transmission fluid and filter change (performed 7/6/10)

DHall1
October 11th, 2010, 15:23
Sorry, I didnt see your reply.

Not sure yet...depending on weather and Pats schedule we were thinking about it. Central to southern CO....Durango/Silverton area.

Back on topic. Has BMW fixed the fuel pump issues they seem to be having? As my signature states....why in the hell did the EPA need to stick their nose in fuel system design that has worked for a hundred years.

http://www.nitrobahn.com/news/consistent-fuel-pump-problems-embroiling-bmw-in-lemon-law-suits/

http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/03/28/more-bmw-fuel-pump-news/

That's funny. What part of CO?

4everRS
October 11th, 2010, 15:24
Wow, what a great list of mods.

AudiRS4ever
October 11th, 2010, 15:28
Yes, they have. However, the SOB's won't recall the old one's. They wait until they fail and then replace them. Good news, the new one's they're using haven't had any problems I've read about for over half a year. Bad news, I'm pretty sure my wife's 335 has an old one. She hasn't had any problems with hers, and I haven't had any problems with mine in the 535 so I'm not too concerned. We both have a 10 year extended warranty for the fuel pump through BMW, which is way longer than either of us will ever have those cars.
Apparently I'll be running data logs for somebody this weekend, so I doubt I'll be able to join you guys. However, the weather's supposed to be great so you should have a great trip.

DHall1
October 11th, 2010, 15:31
You have had your Allroad for far too long.

Sell it to me.

:-)

AudiRS4ever
October 11th, 2010, 15:48
That one stays in Dallas. It's actually been a pretty decent car for what we need it for. Should always have 1 Audi in the fleet. :-)

as350
October 11th, 2010, 16:23
Are you planning to sell your RS6 as-is or are you thinking about de-modding some of the goodies and selling them separately?

AudiRS4ever
October 11th, 2010, 16:27
Right now I am planning on selling the car as a whole. If it appears that's not going to work I'll start piecing the car out. I'm hoping someone will appreciate everything that's been done to it and want it the way it is. Thanks!

mmaturo
October 11th, 2010, 17:01
For once i can say that this car is actually worth whatever as it does have it all. Good luck with the sale. This thread is going to make want to go do some test drives of BMWs though.

AudiRS4ever
October 11th, 2010, 17:56
Thank you. I'm trying not to ask too much, but also I don't want to cheap sell it. That's also why I'm hoping someone buys it as it stands, instead of me having to part it out.

Benman
October 11th, 2010, 20:25

http://media.il.edmunds-media.com/bmw/5-series-m-sports/ns/bmw_5-series-m-sports_front_ns_70210_717.jpg Dang, sure is. I think it would make a fine addition to any stable. :cheers:

Ben :addict:

ben916
October 11th, 2010, 20:32
Avus Ext, Black Int.
23,100 miles
2nd Owner
12/03 Production, so one of the last ones
Miltek Downpipes and Cats
Miltek Resonated Exhaust
OCT Stage 2 Chip (ECU and TCU)
Hyperboost Diverter Valves
H-Sport Sways
Window Tint
Audi OEM Aero Wipers
DRC Recall performed
RNS-E Navigation
Hardwire for Valentine One
Triple Blink Mod
Audi Ipod Adapter
LED Tail Lights
Custom box in side compartment of trunk with JL Audio W6 and Nakamichi Amplifier
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Last 1,000 miles work performed:
Valve Cover Gaskets
Oil Change using Red Line 5w40 (last oil change 6/28/2010)
Rear Rotors and pads with EBC Reds
Spark Plugs
Air Box rubber seals
Fuel Filter
Brake Switch
Fuel Injector Flush
Wagner Intercoolers with Foglight Delete Kit
Brake Flush with ATE Super Blue
New Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's on stock wheels
OEM RS4 Titanium Wheels with Dunlop Sport Maxx GT’s 99% tread remaining
Front Bumper resprayed and complete clear bra
Window Tint removed and reinstalled new tint.
Audi OEM Bluetooth
Audi OEM European RS6 front seats
Custom made floor mats with RS6 logo and trimmed in silver/white leather (installed 7/14/10)
Alcon Big Brake Kit for front axle.
Fidelity Audi Pure Protection Warranty Platinum (over 2 years remaining)
Clear corner headlight mod
City light mod using LED Pure White lights
Audi OEM battery (replaced less than a year ago)
BND transmission fluid and filter change (performed 7/6/10)

Mother OF GOD!!!!!!
Is there anything left to do on this one???? 6speed manual?
Holy HELL!

DHall1
October 11th, 2010, 20:59
I may buy it and steal all the mods. Then give it to my wife and the dog.

AudiRS4ever
October 11th, 2010, 21:02
Hmmmmm...... suggestion, doesn't mine have lower miles than yours? Maybe give yours to your wife and keep mine for you. Just a thought........ Should be on Auto Trader tomorrow morning. Listed it, but it's still not showing. I'll post the link when it does.

DHall1
October 11th, 2010, 21:21
Duh

Why didnt I think of that. I should have taken that 40k offer for mine two months ago. Only problem is my warranty runs to 2015 and Fidelity raised their rates on RS6 coverage thru the roof this year.

Benman
October 11th, 2010, 22:46
Mother OF GOD!!!!!!
Is there anything left to do on this one???? 6speed manual?
Holy HELL! Haha... should go great with his: "Fidelity Audi Pure Protection Warranty Platinum (over 2 years remaining)" :D:D

snoopra
October 12th, 2010, 01:50
Duh

Why didnt I think of that. I should have taken that 40k offer for mine two months ago. Only problem is my warranty runs to 2015 and Fidelity raised their rates on RS6 coverage thru the roof this year.
Off topic (t-jack) Dave, just saw an iphone app to help with your game, "golfscape gps rangefinder":)

Chung
October 12th, 2010, 15:30
You don't have the seats as a mod. Are they optional seats for the RS6?

The car looks great.

AudiRS4ever
October 12th, 2010, 15:45
The 8th one down on the list. Audi OEM European RS6 seats.

AudiRS4ever
October 13th, 2010, 14:23
Just thought I'd post the link for you guys. I also put it over at Audizine and mentioned that if anyone had questions about me or the car to come over here and ask, as you guys know me and the car pretty well. Thanks!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=287923999&dealer_id=65754919&car_year=2003&rdm=1286976148293&lastStartYear=1981&model=RS6&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=25&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=y&make=AUDI&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=newsortbyprice_DESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=80922&advanced=&end_year=2011&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=0&standard=false

AudiRS4ever
October 13th, 2010, 14:25
You don't have the seats as a mod. Are they optional seats for the RS6?

The car looks great.

Just re-read the post. The seats are not an option in the US. The only seats you can get with an American-spec RS6 are the A6 Sport seats which aren't bad, but I prefer the Recaro's that come in all of the other RS6's. Thanks again for the compliment.

skribe
October 13th, 2010, 15:22
Best example for sale in the US. Your price is high but justified. Let her sit until you find your buyer.

Those seats, those seats... :love:

as350
October 13th, 2010, 15:30
That is a very nice car! Good luck with Sale

AudiRS4ever
October 13th, 2010, 15:47
Thanks Guys! I am in no rush to sell it, so I will wait until the right buyer comes along as suggested.

Chung
October 13th, 2010, 15:47
You just have so many good mods I missed the seats on the list. I agree with skribe, let her sit for a bit if you don't find a buyer right away.

ben916
October 13th, 2010, 17:27
O/T: your VIN is the 2nd to last that I have documented AND your mod list IS the longest of all

AudiRS4ever
October 13th, 2010, 18:05
I guess this time size does matter. :lovl: Sorry, couldn't resist.

eurotunedrs6
October 14th, 2010, 19:02
Those seats make me sad because I dont have them! Definately wait for the right buyer since the car is worth it! Good luck on selling it! I need to get some floor mats like yours (among other things), they look good in the car.

JSRS6
October 14th, 2010, 19:27
You can still get the recaro seats from distributors in the states, they just don't have the rs6 stamp or the piping, so obviously not as special. But they are available. I believe the model is Sportline or something. I was looking into it when I got my beast.

AudiRS4ever
October 14th, 2010, 21:50
Those seats make me sad because I dont have them! Definately wait for the right buyer since the car is worth it! Good luck on selling it! I need to get some floor mats like yours (among other things), they look good in the car.

Thank you. I really appreciate it. Not too sad to let the car go, but sad that I won't have one to chat with you guys about.

Elevens
October 14th, 2010, 23:45
GRRRR!! I want those Seats...............

DHall1
October 15th, 2010, 00:05
The line forms here for those seats. Get in line...you already have the hot exhaust, suspension, tune, wheels.

Me? I thought we had change but when I looked in my pockets.....I found out they took that as well.

GRRRR!! I want those Seats...............

Elevens
October 15th, 2010, 00:14
The line forms here for those seats. Get in line...you already have the hot exhaust, suspension, tune, wheels.

Me? I thought we had change but when I looked in my pockets.....I found out they took that as well.

Yeah Dave, I've always loved those seats. Don't know why they never were an option over hear. And by the way AudiRS4ever, how did you acquire those seats? I might want to go down that same route.....................................

skribe
October 15th, 2010, 00:22
Thank you. I really appreciate it. Not too sad to let the car go, but sad that I won't have one to chat with you guys about.

You can take advantage of the "ben916 clause" -- whereby you're allowed up to 1000 posts without actually owning an RS 6. :applause:

ben916
October 15th, 2010, 00:38
You can take advantage of the "ben916 clause" -- whereby you're allowed up to 1000 posts without actually owning an RS 6. :applause:

AND you have to wait 4 years and 1000 posts....
Geez!?!? haven't you learned ANYTHING?!?!?

AudiRS4ever
October 15th, 2010, 01:51
Yeah Dave, I've always loved those seats. Don't know why they never were an option over hear. And by the way AudiRS4ever, how did you acquire those seats? I might want to go down that same route.....................................

Actually it was thanks to Don S. He was the one who posted the link on Ebay. I decided to take the risk and have them flown half way around the world. When they got here they definitely needed some TLC. I took them to the best leather repair shop in town to have them reshaped and worked with. A bottle of Pinnacle Leather Conditioner and 4 hours of my time and the seats looked as good as the stock seats in my car. So thanks again Don.
Someone may end up getting my seats in the end. About half the guys on AudiZine think my car is priced right, and the other half think it's way over-priced. If nobody buys it in a couple of months then I may start parting it out and lower the price some. Then there's the small part of me that hopes it never sells. Man I hate getting emotional with a car. I need to go test drive the 550Xi again.
Thanks again for all of the compliments and I'm glad to know I get 1,000 free posts after I sell it. Ben, you're the man!

ben916
October 15th, 2010, 03:21
Thanks again for all of the compliments and I'm glad to know I get 1,000 free posts after I sell it. Ben, you're the man!

You are welcome!
Don't forget 4 years of lurking/creeping/shadowing...
I hope that moves me up the "list" of peeps that are in line for the Euro Recaro RS6 seats... hint hint nudge nudge..

Elevens
October 15th, 2010, 03:31
C'mon That's not fair..........................

ben916
October 15th, 2010, 03:34
C'mon That's not fair..........................

Don't make me bust out the OTHER OZZY....!??!??!?

EDIT: also there is the Alien incubator that trumps OZZY...

DHall1
October 15th, 2010, 03:44
I will donate 50 of my free thread jacks. On the house.

So that makes it a cool 1000 posts and 50 free thread jacks.

skribe
October 15th, 2010, 03:47
For me, there is absolutely nothing "rational" about cars. I have been so emotionally attached to a car that I let my beloved A2 GTI 2.0 16v sit for ten years, starting and driving it every week with no reason whatsoever to own it... then finally selling it to one of the three guys who had been stopping in every so often to make an offer. And I sold it to him for less than it was worth because I believed he was the right guy to have her. I would buy that car back in two seconds.

My buddy Kash is the reason I own an RS 6. He drove me home in his from work one night 7 years ago and I had the virus. He's moved on to NY and a series of great cars since... I emailed him a pic of my RS after she was delivered and this is his quote:

"Oh, mate, I'm so jealous... My RS was the greatest car I've ever owned. I'm afraid I'm not enough driver to extract all the performance out of the cars I've owned since. The RS 6 was just... effortless."

I think time has caught up with the C5 RS 6 in the form of 550Xi, the new Jag, E63, CTS-V, but there is something off the stat sheet about this car, which is why I'm going to hang on to her long past the point at which it makes sense.

Thanks for all your input into the forum.............................. I know I've learned a lot in here from the dedicated posters like yourself.

:addict:

Aronis
October 17th, 2010, 02:02
I drove the new 550ix and 550gt awd.

Great cars

But what did you think of the steering? I found it now very precise in the middle.

Predictive but not as tight as the usual BMW feel!

Mike

GT has wheel base and width of 7 series with a spot for the family dog in the rear.

AudiRS4ever
October 17th, 2010, 15:56
Honestly, I liked the steering of the car even in comfort where it was very over boosted. In normal it was about what I expected. I didn't think it was that much more boosted than my 535. Definitely my wife's 335 has much firmer steering, but I think I was so blown away with how good the car drove overall that the fact that it was a little less firm than the 535Xi didn't bother me at all. I will say that I thought it was very precise off center than any BMW I've ever driven. You're right about the tightness though. It actually reminded me of some of the Audi's I've driven. Maybe that's why I like this car so much. Better dealerships, better warranties, more Audi-like?

I did check out the 550 GT and loved the interior.

Aronis
October 17th, 2010, 19:09
I was at the BMW campaign, just happened by looking to take a 550GT for a ride. They had the event going comparing new 550 sedan to a MB and and Audi A6.

The 550Gt they had was the RWD model. I drove that with the sales person since it was not part of the campaign and noted that the steering was a bit squishy in the middle, but otherwise predictable over all. Of course I did not drive the car hard.

The 550 GT offers the 7 series size at a lower price. The back seat is much bigger and the car's interior is a few inches wider than the sedan 550.

I drove the 550 xi sedan on the campaign, so I could take it alone. I drive it a bit harder. The package is very complete with a lot of nice options for a bout $78,000 if I recall. 8 to 10 grand cheaper than the now 8 year old RS6 was when it was new!

I've been waiting to hear input on the ease of chipping the 550 and would a Dinan chip not void the BMW warrantee as in the past.

Certainly a 4.4 liter twin turbo with all the newer technologies would be far more tweakable than the 4.2 liter tt in the RS6.

And I'll be the transmission is up to handling 1000 hp (perhaps it would be the same transmission in the new upcoming TT V8 M5 (dropping the V10 I hear).

I a year I'll be looking for a one year old 550 GT loaded....so take good care of yours!

Mike

AudiRS4ever
October 18th, 2010, 14:51
I'm looking at the 550Xi, not the 550Gt. While I really love the interior of the GT, the sedan fits my needs a little bit better right now. Something came up this weekend that may work out over the next 6 months though. All I can say is that I may end up buying a car that makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever, but it's a rare opportunity and probably one I won't pass up. For now, the RS6 is for sale and I can say I won't order a 550Xi until I know what I am doing with this other opportunity. Dave knows the secret, so shhhhhhhh Dave.
On a different note, every call I have received on my RS6 I defer the person to this website if they have any questions about my car, or the RS6 in general. Thanks guys!

AudiRS4ever
October 26th, 2010, 18:00
Wanted to give everyone an update to the progress, or lack-there-of of selling the RS6. The listing I had on Ebay ended today. The high bid was $41,100. Not too bad, but not what I was looking for on this car. So, I talked to Dave last week about an idea I had and I think I may go ahead and go for it. I am probably going to remove the seats, brakes, and wheels and return all of it back to stock parts. I would be installing new EBC Red pads on the stock brakes of course. Even though someone else will get the car, I'd prefer them get better brake pads than the junk that comes on these cars.
Anyway, if that's the course I end up going I'll offer the parts to you guys first before I put them up for sale on any other sites. As always, thanks!

SteveKen
October 26th, 2010, 18:07
pm'd you regards the seats.

AudiRS4ever
October 26th, 2010, 18:16
Returned PM.

I forgot to mention, Dave will get the first crack at the seats, since he has been trying to get me to sell them to him since I first mentioned them. My fault and I apologize. The other 2 items will be for sale if the car gets parted out. Sorry again for not saying Dave got first shot at the seats.

DHall1
October 26th, 2010, 18:41
Membership has its benefits.

Thanks Chris

Returned PM.

I forgot to mention, Dave will get the first crack at the seats, since he has been trying to get me to sell them to him since I first mentioned them. My fault and I apologize. The other 2 items will be for sale if the car gets parted out. Sorry again for not saying Dave got first shot at the seats.

AudiRS4ever
November 7th, 2010, 01:11
Wanted to let everyone know that I sold the RS6. :hey: I will truly miss that car, but it was time. And accordingly, I get 1,000 posts now without having to own an RS6 (Ben's got my back on this one). The new owner and his girlfriend picked it up today and it's heading to Canada. I sold the car with everything on it the way I think it was meant to be. I am sorry to those that I was going to sell some of the parts to. I have some stock parts still laying around that I will post later next week.
There is a silver lining to everything though. I may be purchasing an Audi product per-se this week. I am driving it this weekend and will make a decision Monday or Tuesday. I will keep everyone posted. Dave.......shhhhh........... :revs:

ben916
November 7th, 2010, 01:40
Wanted to let everyone know that I sold the RS6. :hey: I will truly miss that car, but it was time. And accordingly, I get 1,000 posts now without having to own an RS6 (Ben's got my back on this one). The new owner and his girlfriend picked it up today and it's heading to Canada. I sold the car with everything on it the way I think it was meant to be. I am sorry to those that I was going to sell some of the parts to. I have some stock parts still laying around that I will post later next week.
There is a silver lining to everything though. I may be purchasing an Audi product per-se this week. I am driving it this weekend and will make a decision Monday or Tuesday. I will keep everyone posted. Dave.......shhhhh........... :revs:

Thousand post AND ... behind door #3 - FOUR years of lurking!

Spill it.... or else...calling Dave now...

4everRS
November 7th, 2010, 01:44
I have been meaning to ask for a while - where did you get the floormats made and do you have a pic?

AudiRS4ever
November 7th, 2010, 02:07
Ok, it's red......:lovl:

V8weight
November 7th, 2010, 03:04
Actually, it's like 916 posts isn't it?

AudiRS4ever
November 7th, 2010, 03:09
I have been meaning to ask for a while - where did you get the floormats made and do you have a pic?

I had a local shop make them for me. I can get you the name on Monday if you like. The best picture I had of them was on Auto Trader. Let me know if you'd like the name of the place. They did a great job on the 6 and my RS4 when I had it.

DHall1
November 7th, 2010, 04:55
Dont look at me. Its something with prancing bears or dancing horses.

Thousand post AND ... behind door #3 - FOUR years of lurking!

Spill it.... or else...calling Dave now...

ben916
November 7th, 2010, 05:13
Dont look at me. Its something with prancing bears or dancing horses.

Prancing Ponies?!?!?! what kinda circus is this?

hmmm...
Maybe another "Daytona" or a v1 GTO or v2 GTO but definitely NOT v3 GTO...
please say you aren't switching sites to head on over to www.luxury4play.com???

oh and is this it?
http://store.carbonfibergear.com/ferrari-f430-scuderia-16m-black-red-leather-and-carbon-fiber-office-chair

AudiRS4ever
November 7th, 2010, 13:23
Hmmmmmm.......... I like that chair. Wonder how the wife would feel about me blowing 25k on a chair? Lions and Tigers and Bears oh my...........