PDA

View Full Version : Question ref tire replacement

LIRS6
October 5th, 2010, 03:15
Have Michelin Pilot Sport 2 XL's, and the fronts have heavy inside wear and need to be replaced. The rears have about 1/8" wear left before they hit the wear bars. My question is, is it okay to replace the fronts only, or should I replace all 4 tires? ... Do I need to be concerned about the difference in tire diameter between new fronts/old rears?

TIA

ben916
October 5th, 2010, 04:09
... Do I need to be concerned about the difference in tire diameter between new fronts/old rears? TIA

My vote is YES, replace all at once.
IIRC, the manual states something to the effect of tire diameter within a certain percentage between front/rear (3% or was it 10% ?)
Also, I seem to remember a thread about this very early on in this website. (2004 or 2005)

LIRS6
October 5th, 2010, 16:29
Thanks Ben

hahnmgh63
October 5th, 2010, 16:31
If you are careful about rotating every 5K with the new set you get they should wear out more uniformly. Just rotate front to back.

SteveKen
October 5th, 2010, 17:58
I'd also look into replacing the upper control arms, which should help your inner tire wear. Maybe go with a set of adjustable ones?

DHall1
October 5th, 2010, 18:26
Replace all 4.

How many miles do you get from each set of PS2s?

At 1/8th you have done ok on even tire wear. Just keep rotating the new set often to spread that inner tire wear to all 4 tires.

At -1.4 camber you will wear the inner fronts but do check those control arm bushings and make sure they are good.

Have Michelin Pilot Sport 2 XL's, and the fronts have heavy inside wear and need to be replaced. The rears have about 1/8" wear left before they hit the wear bars. My question is, is it okay to replace the fronts only, or should I replace all 4 tires? ... Do I need to be concerned about the difference in tire diameter between new fronts/old rears?

TIA

SteveKen
October 5th, 2010, 18:31
I seem to have success with my Hankook Ventus V12 Evo tires on the S6. They're XL rated and would probably get them in lieu of PS2's on cost alone. $632 vs. $1148 at tirerack.com

SAF
October 5th, 2010, 19:22
I seem to have success with my Hankook Ventus V12 Evo tires on the S6. They're XL rated and would probably get them in lieu of PS2's on cost alone. $632 vs. $1148 at tirerack.com

Ditto. After throwing money at at least four or five sets of PS2s for various Audis, I just switched to a set of V12 Evos. Even if they wear twice as fast, I almost break even money wise. So far I'm liking them.

Aronis
October 5th, 2010, 21:20
I just replaced mine last week... the PS2s are great!

They are becoming difficult to find. Tire Rack is phasing them out....

I had inside wall belts beginning to show in the front tires both sides, the rears were almost gone also.

I find that in the front tires wear unevenly (which ever pair happens to be on the front last after rotating front to back) and I have been pushing my luck on the fronts, especially with a bubble on one side wall (for two years LOL).

The new tires definitely improve grip!

Mike

(two of my snows are about gone but the other two are ok, so I plan to just buy two snows)

Aronis
October 5th, 2010, 21:21
oh, the PS3s are the 'new tire' but they have strange ratings....longer wear but the same grip???? I'll wait until someone else has them on their car for a while LOL

ben916
October 5th, 2010, 21:28
...especially with a bubble on one side wall

Mine has the same thing, I took it to Michelin and they said it looks ok, the tire will wear out before the bubble becomes a concern...Not an official answer but that was what was told to me...

LIRS6
October 5th, 2010, 22:22

Checked them out, thanks. As info for all, there is a $60.00 rebate in play for qualifying purchases of 4 V12 Evo's

V8weight
October 5th, 2010, 22:28
Checked them out, thanks. As info for all, there is a $60.00 rebate in play for qualifying purchases of 4 V12 Evo's
Ya, tell me about it. They came out with the rebate about a week after I purchased my set.

SAF
October 5th, 2010, 23:27
I think I bought 'em a week after it started - by dumb luck - I had waited a week because it was rainy. Sent my rebate form in Friday.

LIRS6
October 8th, 2010, 18:13
Ordered the Hankooks locally - $172 a piece incl mounting/balancing. Then apply $60 rebate. I like the price of the tires, hopefully I like their performance - based upon comments above, I should. Reverting with my thoughts after some use.

LIRS6
October 15th, 2010, 19:46
A follow-up to the Hankooks - have only had them a week, but have been able to experience them on dry as well as very wet roads ..they feel very sure-footed to me - I am quite pleased, especially given the price relative to PS2's (which were my prior 2 sets of tires).

SteveKen
October 15th, 2010, 20:55
I just got mine today and will have them installed tomorrow. Although the car will not be a DD, I'm curious as to treadwear/life.

I suppose having good control arms and a proper alignment will help with this. That's next on the list.

kismetcapitan
September 8th, 2011, 02:29
another vote for Hankook Ventus Evos - even though they cost $300 a piece in Korea (foreign markets get subsidized pricing), they just wear very well if you keep up with the rotation, and they not only felt good and sticky, I felt they gave a bit more precise steering. My car has new Continentals so I won't be shopping for tires for awhile, but I do plan to get some Hankooks and save some money over Michelins; I know they did the job on a tuned Skyline, they should be fine on the RS6. They might give up 5-10% in total maximum grip over the best track-day tires, but for road use, you'll never get to that limit anyways.

Hy Octane
September 8th, 2011, 17:16
The New Michelin Super Sports are next for me..Better grip and longer life than the PS2.. and cheaper too!

ben916
September 8th, 2011, 17:48
The New Michelin Super Sports are next for me..Better grip and longer life than the PS2.. and cheaper too!

And if you have the "hook up" - even cheaper!!!!

RSSIK
September 8th, 2011, 18:02
I have the "hook up" and since were all in this together i have no problem passing that off to anyone else. On the other hand I am very happy with my Continental DWS's. The grip and performance is excellent and Ive driven on these many times in the rain so far and I love them.

ntrcptr
September 8th, 2011, 19:06
The New Michelin Super Sports are next for me..Better grip

I can vouch for that... I got them in 265mm with stock rims

kismetcapitan
October 25th, 2011, 19:43
I forget who asked me about Continental DWS and how I liked them. Anyways, they aren't hydroplane proof, but damned close to it. In a downpour that had people pulling over to wait it out, I was able to maintain 90mph with slight bits of hydroplaning when I hit standing water. I could feel it, but my wife couldn't. At 70mph even the standing water had no effect at all.

So they're certainly good in both wet and dry. However, I thought I'd switch to Hankooks since they worked so well for me before, and I got sidewall damage from the Continentals.

I am wondering if run-flats would reduce the risk of sidewall damage and blistering....?

RSSIK
October 25th, 2011, 20:42
I forget who asked me about Continental DWS and how I liked them. Anyways, they aren't hydroplane proof, but damned close to it. In a downpour that had people pulling over to wait it out, I was able to maintain 90mph with slight bits of hydroplaning when I hit standing water. I could feel it, but my wife couldn't. At 70mph even the standing water had no effect at all.

So they're certainly good in both wet and dry. However, I thought I'd switch to Hankooks since they worked so well for me before, and I got sidewall damage from the Continentals.

I am wondering if run-flats would reduce the risk of sidewall damage and blistering....?

Dont forget with the DWS you have a manufacturer road hazard built in especially if they tires are recent. I had mine on for a few thousand miles and my lil sis hit a curb popped it, dropped it off at my tire shop, filled out a little paper and was on my way with a new tire. So before you go blowing your money look into it. Its well worth it.

JSRS6
October 25th, 2011, 22:39
Ehab, how much is your cost per michelin ss tire in 255/40/18?

RSSIK
October 26th, 2011, 17:09
PM sent. Let me know if you need anything else.