PDA

View Full Version : what are OEM part # for EGT sensors?

twinsteve
October 4th, 2010, 14:42
and what should this cost, parts and labor, if done by the book at an Audi dealership?

DHall1
October 4th, 2010, 14:50
Engine pull if done by the book.

marklar182
October 4th, 2010, 15:02
left- 077919529D
right- 077919529E

Dealer is ~$5k for parts and labor by the book.

JSRS6
October 4th, 2010, 15:08
What about if done by Pats book?

:mech:

skribe
October 4th, 2010, 15:54
Mine were a $4300 job at the dealer... Procedure calls for full motor pull, but my dealer did a Pat procedure and just dropped the subframe a bit. They did the job in half a day, and billed fidelity for the full 18 hours of labor. Money makin', moneymoney makin'...

Don't have the paper on me or I'd give you the PN#s

V8weight
October 4th, 2010, 16:09
left- 077919529D
right- 077919529E

Dealer is ~$5k for parts and labor by the book.
I don't have access to ETKA or my invoices right now, but those part numbers are no longer valid, as the EGT's are not available seperately. They are now sold in a service kit containing both sensors. Yes, they do charge for the full engine pull, but it can easily be done in 4-5 hours.

DHall1
October 4th, 2010, 16:15
Money makin?

TZA :-) Woohoo I love it when the DOW drops

WLP....still short and my naked are going to expire worthless.

Mine were a $4300 job at the dealer... Procedure calls for full motor pull, but my dealer did a Pat procedure and just dropped the subframe a bit. They did the job in half a day, and billed fidelity for the full 18 hours of labor. Money makin', moneymoney makin'...

Don't have the paper on me or I'd give you the PN#s

twinsteve
October 4th, 2010, 16:36
I don't have access to ETKA or my invoices right now, but those part numbers are no longer valid, as the EGT's are not available seperately. They are now sold in a service kit containing both sensors. Yes, they do charge for the full engine pull, but it can easily be done in 4-5 hours.

So what do you all think a good price, all in, for a solid indy shop to do both EGT's and torque converter...assume OEM Audi TC? In the middle of a long saga with my local Audi dealer and Fidelity...I may yank the car from them and find another option...getting quotes between $3k - $4.5k for all this work from a couple of local german car-only shops that have RS6 experience

DHall1
October 4th, 2010, 17:12
So you didnt wait long enough before making the TC claim attempt?

I would quiz the indy shops on how they plan to approach the repair. If they can just drop the engine enough to remove the trans with the engine still in the car....THEN they can also change the EGT sensor at the same time.

The indy that gives you that answer knows what they are doing.

So what do you all think a good price, all in, for a solid indy shop to do both EGT's and torque converter...assume OEM Audi TC? In the middle of a long saga with my local Audi dealer and Fidelity...I may yank the car from them and find another option...getting quotes between $3k - $4.5k for all this work from a couple of local german car-only shops that have RS6 experience

twinsteve
October 4th, 2010, 19:34
So you didnt wait long enough before making the TC claim attempt?

I would quiz the indy shops on how they plan to approach the repair. If they can just drop the engine enough to remove the trans with the engine still in the car....THEN they can also change the EGT sensor at the same time.

The indy that gives you that answer knows what they are doing.

thx....when I bought Fidelity warranty from Jim Ellis Audi, they told me that since car had PPI from an Audi dealer (Cavender in San Anton) and the PPI gave car clean bill of health, no claim could be turned down as pre-existing condition and that there was no waiving period whatsoever...naive me took them at face value...Jim Ellis is going to bat for me, so we'll see...why should I have to limp around and (a) not enjoy the car I paid $$$ to enjoy and (b) potentially damage car more?? I played exactly by the rules of Audi and the service contract from Fidelity....I expect this to get worked out with the right outcome

DHall1
October 4th, 2010, 19:50
I understand. What you and I would consider fair....is a whole different story when it comes to insurance companies. That is why I said wait.

On another note. The Chrysler/MB extended warranty is flat out cancelling many AMG vehicle extended contracts with owners even after the owners have paid in full the contracts.

Now, you tell me what is fair and just.

thx....when I bought Fidelity warranty from Jim Ellis Audi, they told me that since car had PPI from an Audi dealer (Cavender in San Anton) and the PPI gave car clean bill of health, no claim could be turned down as pre-existing condition and that there was no waiving period whatsoever...naive me took them at face value...Jim Ellis is going to bat for me, so we'll see...why should I have to limp around and (a) not enjoy the car I paid $$$ to enjoy and (b) potentially damage car more?? I played exactly by the rules of Audi and the service contract from Fidelity....I expect this to get worked out with the right outcome

twinsteve
October 4th, 2010, 20:02
I understand. What you and I would consider fair....is a whole different story when it comes to insurance companies. That is why I said wait.

On another note. The Chrysler/MB extended warranty is flat out cancelling many AMG vehicle extended contracts with owners even after the owners have paid in full the contracts.

Now, you tell me what is fair and just.

I totally hear you....lots of lessons learned here all the way around, especially if it turns out working against me...the service manager at Jim Ellis told me that any claims inside 30 days have to be eaten by the dealer doing the PPI...so, Jim Ellis and Cavender are going to have to figure this out between the two of them...worst case, I will cancel Fidelity policy, get my $$ back, get car fixed at the best shop I can find, and move on

thx for your perspective and knowledge!

DHall1
October 4th, 2010, 20:49
I would say Jim Ellis should be motivated to discount the labor rate. It literally costs them 20hr to pay the tech to do the job.

I would not let Jim Ellis off the hook and refund the policy. Play that angle....."hey come on guys...this is mostly a labor job...just do it and you keep my future business."

Sell it

twinsteve
October 4th, 2010, 20:53
I would say Jim Ellis should be motivated to discount the labor rate. It literally costs them 20hr to pay the tech to do the job.

I would not let Jim Ellis off the hook and refund the policy. Play that angle....."hey come on guys...this is mostly a labor job...just do it and you keep my future business."

Sell it

Totally agree...they have actually been pretty straight up so and I know they want the future biz...nuclear scenario is to vote with my feet and to take my car and extended warranty biz somewhere else....don;t want to do that, as Jim Ellis has most experience in ATL dealers with RS6

So, is 20 hours the real effort for TC and EGTs? That's much more in line with the 2 indy shops I have quotes from...one a little lower and one a little higher

DHall1
October 4th, 2010, 21:06
Actual time is more like 12-14hr to R&R trans, swap TC and throw in two EGT sensors.

Now, this is doing it without pulling the engine. They lower the engine down from the underside to get clearance and then pull the trans.

Totally agree...they have actually been pretty straight up so and I know they want the future biz...nuclear scenario is to vote with my feet and to take my car and extended warranty biz somewhere else....don;t want to do that, as Jim Ellis has most experience in ATL dealers with RS6

So, is 20 hours the real effort for TC and EGTs? That's much more in line with the 2 indy shops I have quotes from...one a little lower and one a little higher

hahnmgh63
October 4th, 2010, 21:39
World Impex still lists the EGT sensors separately at $302.10 but whether they actually sell them separately may be another matter.

twinsteve
October 4th, 2010, 21:41
World Impex still lists the EGT sensors separately at $302.10 but whether they actually sell them separately may be another matter.

And Genuinevwaudi still has them listed at $250 each I think...

hahnmgh63
October 4th, 2010, 21:46
Your right about Genuinevwaudi. I just checked and they are $228 each so I may just order the pair as that is the cheapest I've seen.

twinsteve
October 4th, 2010, 21:52
Actual time is more like 12-14hr to R&R trans, swap TC and throw in two EGT sensors.

Now, this is doing it without pulling the engine. They lower the engine down from the underside to get clearance and then pull the trans.

Probably a dumb question, but why does the book call for pulling engine entirely?

DHall1
October 4th, 2010, 21:54
Back in the day....there was not time to figure out short cuts. Now the short cuts have been practiced over and over again.

Holy crap Batman....417 for two egt sensors?

Pat...call me in a few. Going to drive a red RS6.

V8weight
October 4th, 2010, 21:54
Your right about Genuinevwaudi. I just checked and they are $228 each so I may just order the pair as that is the cheapest I've seen.
The part number for the service kit including both EGT sensors is 077 998 124, and its $417.60 at genuinevwaudi.com.

V8weight
October 4th, 2010, 22:07
I just had mine replaced under warranty, and they charged $2931.20 for labor, and $580 for the kit. $3553.40 overall with tax. I don't know what labor rate they billed the warranty co., but that figures out to be 22-25 hours.

DreamingOfCars
October 4th, 2010, 22:13
Quick question on the warranty issue as I'm looking to purchase one out of state from where I will likely get the extended warranty. Will I technically need to do 2 PPIs in this case to guarantee that they don't turn it down for pre-existing conditions? I was told you need to get a PPI from the place issuing the warranty, but I was curious if it would work with another Audi dealer. Sounds like the answer is no.

V8weight
October 4th, 2010, 22:33
Quick question on the warranty issue as I'm looking to purchase one out of state from where I will likely get the extended warranty. Will I technically need to do 2 PPIs in this case to guarantee that they don't turn it down for pre-existing conditions? I was told you need to get a PPI from the place issuing the warranty, but I was curious if it would work with another Audi dealer. Sounds like the answer is no.
I don't know, I never had a PPI done at all. I just made sure not to make any claims in the first 30 days. I made it about 80 days in fact before I had to make my first claim.

twinsteve
October 5th, 2010, 02:29

I was told by Jim Ellis Audi in ATL when I bought the Fidelity warranty that all they needed to see was a PPI from any Audi dealer...and that the coverage would go into effect same day I purchased policy, with no waiting....regardless of where you get PPI, if you make a claim under Fidelity within first 30 days, it will be honored, but the Audi dealer has to eat it...that's all well and good when the PPI is done by the dealer selling the warranty, but turning out to be trickier in case where one Audi dealer did PPI and second dealer relied on that PPI to see warranty...anyways, I am fighting this tooth and nail....I played by the rules they set, so no way am I getting f-ed out coverage I paid for....FWIW, if you read the Fidelity service contract cover to cover, there is no escape hatch for Fidelity re: "pre-existing condition"

DreamingOfCars
October 5th, 2010, 04:02
Interesting. I always thought that if you made a claim in the first 30 days, it's your own money lost, which is why everyone recommends waiting until a month or 2 later to make that first claim.

Good luck with the situation - it sounds like it will be tricky to figure out who will pay.

4everRS
October 5th, 2010, 14:29
DOC, I had the same thoughts as far as the period after you buy the warranty. Most any type of insurance has an "elimination period" which is the time in which they won't honor a claim. But, if its not listed in the contract, well, they are on the hook.
Interesting. I always thought that if you made a claim in the first 30 days, it's your own money lost, which is why everyone recommends waiting until a month or 2 later to make that first claim.

Good luck with the situation - it sounds like it will be tricky to figure out who will pay.