PDA

View Full Version : My Viper tuned RS6 vs. Stock dyno day

V8weight
October 3rd, 2010, 21:33
I finally had a chance to get my car, along with Kyle's stock car on the dyno this weekend. I'll post the graphs as soon as I receive them, but for now here's the numbers along with a couple of video's.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/HcBvk.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHFxFlJG4aw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4qBs80_0fU

V8weight
October 3rd, 2010, 21:40
Thanks again for coming down Kyle, it was fun, and I think I can actually say that I may be "car'd" out for a little bit. :)

4everRS
October 3rd, 2010, 21:48
If any of you remember the last time we did this, the number were different. My "stock" car did 377 hp and 360 ft lbs. Pat's did 444 hp and 527 ft lbs. We are at the same dyno as last time. Why the difference then? Well, no one knows, but as far as the stock #'s go, it is much more in line with others who have had expierience with a "stock" car on a DynoJet.

So the difference is 70 hp at the wheels and 100 ft lbs. I suppose we could add 25% to these numbers to figure "at-the-crank" #'s. So almost 90 "crank" hp and 125 "crank" ft lbs.

4everRS
October 3rd, 2010, 21:52
Another interesting thing to note is the "stock" torque being slightly above hp, yet audi advertised these different.

V8weight
October 3rd, 2010, 21:53
If any of you remember the last time we did this, the number were different. My "stock" car did 377 hp and 360 ft lbs. Pat's did 444 hp and 527 ft lbs. We are at the same dyno as last time. Why the difference then? Well, no one knows, but as far as the stock #'s go, it is much more in line with others who have had expierience with a "stock" car on a DynoJet.

So the difference is 70 hp at the wheels and 100 ft lbs. I suppose we could add 25% to these numbers to figure "at-the-crank" #'s. So almost 90 "crank" hp and 125 "crank" ft lbs.
Yeah, we weren't the only ones. The A4 on the above chart owned by "Banana's" consistently puts down 260-300 at the wheels numbers, was only able to manage 142/178. Surely, doing 7 consecutive runs couldn't have been good for power either. Oh well, I'm not going to beat myself up, or make excuses. Did you get the logs I sent you?

speedtrapped
October 4th, 2010, 00:58
:bow: wow, wow, wow........honestly Pat I have been driving her for a week and stock is awesome, I have to get this tuned....I just want to lose my license.......

V8weight
October 4th, 2010, 02:16
:bow: wow, wow, wow........honestly Pat I have been driving her for a week and stock is awesome, I have to get this tuned....I just want to lose my license.......
Thanks Stephen! These dyno days are always a blast.

ben916
October 4th, 2010, 02:37

Look closely at Pat's right side filter assembly as it caves in/depresses in during full throttle and then release of throttle...It pops back up!!!!

Pat, are you happy with the tune/numbers?
Did they spray the intercooler before each run?

snoopra
October 4th, 2010, 03:37
Nice dyno run Pat!
+2. saw the airbox "suck in" during the dyno run. I'm working on fabbing an intake, will post outcome:)

V8weight
October 4th, 2010, 03:46
Look closely at Pat's right side filter assembly as it caves in/depresses in during full throttle and then release of throttle...It pops back up!!!!

Pat, are you happy with the tune/numbers?
Did they spray the intercooler before each run?
No intercooler spray at all, and like I said, they were screwing around and I ended up doing 7 runs before they got a good clean run in, thus the car was pretty well heat soaked. I am happy with the results overall though. It shows a substantial improvement over stock, but the numbers weren't astronomical.

Chung
October 4th, 2010, 05:37
A little off topic,
The Evo X put down 1200 for torque. Does anyone else think that is insane?

V8weight
October 4th, 2010, 06:29
A little off topic,
The Evo X put down 1200 for torque. Does anyone else think that is insane?
There was a portable dyno out in the parking lot running Diesel trucks, that was actually the numbers from the Evo X owners Dodge Ram. Still insane though. There were trucks putting down upwards of 1800w/tq.

DHall1
October 4th, 2010, 07:07
Stephen,

My results are coming in. A big thumbs up on my end. wink, wink

I talked to your prev owner this weekend and ran some logs on my car. He wants to talk to you and my PM you. I gave him your info....be on the lookout for a PM from Jim.

My PM box is full again....I will clear some space tomorrow.

ben916
October 4th, 2010, 08:23
Stephen,

My results are coming in. A big thumbs up on my end. wink, wink

I talked to your prev owner this weekend and ran some logs on my car. He wants to talk to you and my PM you. I gave him your info....be on the lookout for a PM from Jim.

My PM box is full again....I will clear some space tomorrow.

wait, I thought Stephen purchased GREG'S car???

speedtrapped
October 4th, 2010, 10:38
Duckwingduck?........kw v3, bbs-gt, grey/black

DHall1
October 4th, 2010, 14:49
Oh crap,

Who got Jims old car. Daytona gray, black int, 70k from AZ

JSRS6
October 4th, 2010, 15:11
Was that twinsteve?

JSRS6
October 4th, 2010, 15:13
Oh, and Kyles airbox did depress a little as well, just not nearly as much as Pats...;-)

ben916
October 4th, 2010, 17:35

yep... PM me about the driver's seat and the passengers seat

V8weight
October 4th, 2010, 21:48
Here's the dyno charts:
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/attachment-14.jpg
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/attachment-13.jpg

Klint
October 4th, 2010, 22:04
I'm not any good at reading dyno graphs... but the runs do look good from what I know! Massive congrats.

V8weight
October 4th, 2010, 23:44
I'm not any good at reading dyno graphs... but the runs do look good from what I know! Massive congrats.
Thanks Klint! I don't know if you are familiar with Viper Tuning being that you're, well, closer to Isle of Man than I am, but I was very pleased with not only his tuning, but also the service that I received despite being an ocean away.

Klint
October 5th, 2010, 22:32
Thanks Klint! I don't know if you are familiar with Viper Tuning being that you're, well, closer to Isle of Man than I am, but I was very pleased with not only his tuning, but also the service that I received despite being an ocean away.

Pat,

I'm more than familiar with Viper Tuning and Rich! lol

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs027.ash2/34692_10150280828550424_559695423_14855321_7236040 _n.jpg

Enjoy in good health. ;)

V8weight
October 5th, 2010, 23:06
Pat,

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs027.ash2/34692_10150280828550424_559695423_14855321_7236040 _n.jpg

Enjoy in good health. ;)
Sweet! B5 S4? I figured you were well aware, I just didn't want to be "that guy" assuming that you were on first name basis because you lived in the same country.

Klint
October 5th, 2010, 23:12
Sweet! B5 S4? I figured you were well aware, I just didn't want to be "that guy" assuming that you were on first name basis because you lived in the same country.

Pat,

That's Richard's car stickered up, his B5 R/S4. Took the snap last week. :)

V8weight
October 5th, 2010, 23:14
Pat,

That's Richard's car stickered up, his B5 R/S4. Took the snap last week. :)
Oh, ok. I've seen his Youtube videos. The acceleration on that thing is horrifying!

Klint
October 5th, 2010, 23:21
Oh, ok. I've seen his Youtube videos. The acceleration on that thing is horrifying!

Sure is beast and a half. Watching the vids is one thing, experiencing it firsthand is another!

Wont reveal all, will save that for Rich to discuss. But if it's a beast now it'll be more of a horrifying ride once done.

vr430
October 6th, 2010, 20:55
Here's the dyno charts:

I take it top graph is yours and bottom is stock. Looks nice and flat.

However, isn't the car running a little lean? You are not getting detonation at higher RPM? Were you running C16 on the dyno? It would be nice to see boost profile.

viperbl
October 6th, 2010, 21:02
I take it top graph is yours and bottom is stock. Looks nice and flat.

However, isn't the car running a little lean? You are not getting detonation at higher RPM? Were you running C16 on the dyno? It would be nice to see boost profile.

Its not lean, in fact, its a little on the rich side at the top end if anything.

vr430
October 6th, 2010, 21:25
Its not lean, in fact, its a little on the rich side at the top end if anything.

Sorry, to me "lean" means low A/F ratio.

viperbl
October 6th, 2010, 21:31
Sorry, to me "lean" means low A/F ratio.

Lean refers to low fuel to air mixture
So for example 16:1 AFR would be lean
And 10:1 AFR would be rich

vr430
October 6th, 2010, 21:47
Right, I had the nomenclature backwards. However, my basic question still stands. Although I have to qualify I am drawing on my past EVO experience. I am probably way off, seeing that stock AFR is at mind-numbing (to me) 14.

viperbl
October 6th, 2010, 21:55
Right, I had the nomenclature backwards. However, my basic question still stands. Although I have to qualify I am drawing on my past EVO experience. I am probably way off, seeing that stock AFR is at mind-numbing (to me) 14.

Yeah, stock map on most VAG cars is set to target AFR 14.7:1 until the Exhaust Gas Temps get too high then it dumps some fuel in! Good for fuel economy, lol.

On my maps I like to run closer to 12:1 or below to keep EGTs down, to me engine/turbo life is the biggest factor and I like to make sure things stay in working order!

An no detonation at high rpm :)

vr430
October 6th, 2010, 22:06
Got it! A completely different approach to tuning between VAG and EVO. Looks like I have to unlearn everything I knew and learn all the new stuff. Well, at least now I know where to get right answers. Thanks!

viperbl
October 6th, 2010, 22:20
Your welcome :)

DHall1
October 6th, 2010, 22:23
Its not too different. The stock dyno a/f above was measured at the tailpipe after going thru 2 cats on each side.

Pats a/f was measured with only 1 cat on each side.

The data logs for primary 02 sensor voltage were not that much different between the two cars. Pats was richer than the stock car for sure.

Got it! A completely different approach to tuning between VAG and EVO. Looks like I have to unlearn everything I knew and learn all the new stuff. Well, at least now I know where to get right answers. Thanks!

4everRS
October 7th, 2010, 03:37
Rich, would there be any gains to made if the mixture was leaned up a little? Or will this be risking the engine in any way?

grizz
October 7th, 2010, 18:05
Hay guys , I knows it's a little off topic but I'll be over for the sema show and viper is coming over with me this year :)

ben916
October 7th, 2010, 18:06
Hay guys , I knows it's a little off topic but I'll be over for the sema show and viper is coming over with me this year :)

Now I really have to plan this sneakily....
Kids like the wave pool at the Mandalay Bay, I wanna go "assist" Grizz at SEMA....
Sounds like a perfect plan...

Elevens
October 7th, 2010, 18:26
Hey Grizz, where and when are you and Rich going to be over hear?

Ok, Just saw the Sema Thread. Shame I won't be able to make it........

DHall1
December 17th, 2010, 05:14
Viper tuning FTW

Shameless plug. Its ok when your friends with the moderator

Pat,

Enjoy in good health. ;)

Klint
December 17th, 2010, 08:17
Viper tuning FTW

Shameless plug. Its ok when your friends with the moderator

Yeah. It is OK when your friend's with a moderator. :hey:

ben916
December 17th, 2010, 18:12
Yeah. It is OK when your friend's with a moderator. :hey:

I am friend's with a RS6.com Moderator and I don't plug vendors or my company....
Let's level the field and move on...

Erik, I don't do paypal so where should I send my $250USD for my vendor sponsorship???

JSRS6
December 17th, 2010, 18:31
I am friend's with a RS6.com Moderator and I don't plug vendors or my company....
Let's level the field and move on...

Erik, I don't do paypal so where should I send my $250USD for my vendor sponsorship???

YOU dont do paypal? I guess that would be too easy for the CFO to track, eh?

ben916
December 17th, 2010, 18:42
YOU dont do paypal? I guess that would be too easy for the CFO to track, eh?

No, I don't like external companies with access to my bank accounts as we all know there are too many ways for these big companies to "lose data" or get hacked, etc...

MaxRS6
December 17th, 2010, 18:59
No, I don't like external companies with access to my bank accounts as we all know there are too many ways for these big companies to "lose data" or get hacked, etc...

I have my paypal linked to a credit card with a relatively low limit. It allows me do some smaller transactions via Paypal with very little risk- and the card also has protections for fraudulent transactions.