PDA

View Full Version : Save the planet. Someone please save the planet.

DHall1
October 2nd, 2010, 05:48
I only have one thing to say. We are living in a time that will play back as

Jackass the movie.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/business/s_702357.html

U.S. may require 62 mpg by 2025

WASHINGTON -- Cars and trucks averaging 62 miles per gallon? Seems extraordinary now, but the government suggested Friday that automakers could be required to build new lineups by 2025 that make today's high-mileage hybrids seem conventional and turn gas guzzlers into relics of the past.
It's all included in potential efficiency ranges the government is considering for new cars and trucks starting in 2017. By a decade and a half from now, in 2015, a carmaker's fleet of new vehicles may need to meet a standard somewhere from 47 mpg to 62 mpg, the Transportation Department and Environmental Protection Agency said.
Those mileage gains that would be the equivalent of an annual decrease in carbon dioxide emissions per mile of 3 to 6 percent.
The new standards, while several years away, are closely watched by the auto industry as it develops vehicles and environmental groups trying to curb oil dependence and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. President Obama has pushed for tougher fuel efficiency standards, and new rules could take on added significance if Congress is unable to pass energy legislation capping greenhouse gases blamed for global warming.
The government envisions gas-electric hybrids making up about half the lineup of new vehicles under the most aggressive standards, while electrics and plug-ins would comprise about 10 percent of the fleet.
After little progress during the past three decades, rules adopted earlier this year will lift the new vehicle fleet average to 35.5 mpg by 2016, an increase of more than 40 percent over current standards.
The administration's release yesterday of a technical analysis started the work on mileage standards for the 2017-2025 model years. The government intends to issue a proposal in September 2011 and a final rule by late July 2012.
The administration wants to "keep the momentum going to make sure that all motor vehicles sold in America are realizing the best fuel economy and greenhouse gas reductions possible," said Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood.
EPA Administrator Lisa P. Jackson said the next round of mileage standards "will accelerate the environmental benefits, health protections and clean technology advances over the long term."
Yesterday's "notice of intent" provides an overview of the possible standards, describes the technologies that would be needed to achieve the goals and seeks feedback from the public. The two federal agencies plan to issue a second notice by Nov. 30 with an updated analysis of potential efficiency targets.
"The auto industry has 15 years to meet these new standards -- that's plenty of time to use innovation and technology to reach 60 miles per gallon," said Brendan Bell of the Union of Concerned Scientists' clean vehicles program.
Several states sided with the environmental groups. Governors from eight states -- New York, New Mexico, Maine, Oregon, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and Washington -- urged Obama in a letter Friday to set standards of 60 mpg by 2025.

AUDI5000CSTQ
October 2nd, 2010, 07:43
I'm almost there, 7 & 1/2 MPG,
With the twin tanks I just about make it to and from work

Benman
October 2nd, 2010, 18:25
What this will do is just make the classic muscle cars all the more valuable since the manufactures could never hope to achieve those results and maintain any real power (short of full electric). Hell, I mean Honda just came out with their first "econosport" car the CRZ and it SUCKS at economy. It does not even clear 40mpg and it is a damn 4 pot. Add to that the all new 300HP V6 motor in the 2011 Mustang gets 31mpg, something that I consider excellent, but according to these new laws would end up banned.

So for me, cars like the RS 6, and especially the upcoming Audi Quattro ( :heart: ) will just become legendary. Also keep in mind though that all of this is EXTREMELY doubtful. :cheers:

RXBG
October 3rd, 2010, 15:24
this is what i call progressivism inspired hypocritical bullsh*t.
the ecosphere is laughing.

DHall1
October 3rd, 2010, 16:10
Sure, lets say they subsidize the crap out of electric cars like we do with ethanol. Then what?

By that time they will have cap and trade or some form of added tax structure to CO2 emissions. Guess how much your electricity costs will be? It will cost you more to recharge a electric car than it does to fill up 20 gallons today.

They are already doing it with the electric and water rates today. Added taxes and fees. I was golfing with a couple of guys from the hospital yesterday and we talked about the increases in AZ water rates. The club across town had to stop watering the fairways this summer because of the added costs. Not enough people play in the summer to break even.

I have a well for my 1.5ac to water all my grass and landscape. Pi$$ on the city, we are right in the middle of town. But guess what? NO more wells are allowed in the city limits. I wonder why.

Benman
October 4th, 2010, 18:50
Sure, lets say they subsidize the crap out of electric cars like we do with ethanol. Then what?

By that time they will have cap and trade or some form of added tax structure to CO2 emissions. Guess how much your electricity costs will be? It will cost you more to recharge a electric car than it does to fill up 20 gallons today.

Then take advantage of the subsidized solar panel costs and get a boat load (hell, you have over an acre!), then the panels will pay for themselves in sub 10 years and electricity will cost you zero!

See, my philosophy is not to just bitch about the system (which I do), but find ways around it. That is what the market has always done. Complain about dumbass new laws, then find ways around them. :thumb:

And last, hell, if RXBG's post about the new R$ Etron with turbo diesel comes true, then I don't care if the pass the 60mpg mandate. As long as they can still produce badass stuff like that, then I'm good. :cheers:

Ben :addict:

DHall1
October 4th, 2010, 20:00
Ben,

I do my share of bit$ching but I dont always talk about my solutions. I actually dont like to print those solutions for many reasons. My goal in bit$hing is to let others know of the problem and they can form their own solutions or throw away the noise as crazy stuff.

Taxes? Yep, I have a solution
High water rates? Yep, I have a solution and I'm doing just fine
10 dollar a gallon gas? Yep, I have a solution and I'm doing just fine.

There will be plenty of pain felt much lower in the food chain before any pain shows up at my door. But the powers that be seem to be suckering all the serfs into voting for "change" while they all get thrown in the pain wagon.

Idiots better wake up soon.

Then take advantage of the subsidized solar panel costs and get a boat load (hell, you have over an acre!), then the panels will pay for themselves in sub 10 years and electricity will cost you zero!

See, my philosophy is not to just bitch about the system (which I do), but find ways around it. That is what the market has always done. Complain about dumbass new laws, then find ways around them. :thumb:

And last, hell, if RXBG's post about the new R$ Etron with turbo diesel comes true, then I don't care if the pass the 60mpg mandate. As long as they can still produce badass stuff like that, then I'm good. :cheers:

Ben :addict:

speedtrapped
October 4th, 2010, 20:49
I'm almost there, 7 & 1/2 MPG,
With the twin tanks I just about make it to and from work

Hell yes!!!.... I own a 71', Red w/ wimbldon white hardtop, 33" BFG KM2, 2" duff/1"WH body lift, crate modded FI 302......I luv my bronco....Funny cause I failed Inspection, blew 10.4% CO, I think NJ and others standard is 5%, she has BCB headers, 2 into 1 magnaflow...so loud and spews ....I lnow I am NOT pc-sorry

4everRS
October 4th, 2010, 21:11
All this talk about fuel efficiency, hybrids, all-electric, solar, ect ect is a waste of time and money. Almost as big as a waste the ethanol producers tax credit is.

Quiz: What is the most abundant element in the universe??

But "OH NO, there are too many safety concerns" , "what if it explodes like the hindenburg?"

Dave, how unsafe would you feel knowing that there volitile elements just behind you that could blow at any minute? hehe
(btw OT pm your #, I talked with my contact today)

Ok back OT. What is the byproduct of H ? It costs about the same per gallon compared to gas to produce. This would also free up enthusuasts like us with traditional engines. There will likey always be some but lower demand for gasoline. Less demand in gasoline (because of H) causes prices to do what?

Benman
October 4th, 2010, 23:11
All this talk about fuel efficiency, hybrids, all-electric, solar, ect ect is a waste of time and money. Almost as big as a waste the ethanol producers tax credit is.

Almost like this whole thread? ;)

Seriously, I was on topic of hybrids and increased mpg. Wether I agree or not is not important. Was just trying to add some positivity vs the negativity. :cheers:

Ben