PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust mod question and or advice

speedtrapped
September 30th, 2010, 18:40
As some of u know, my RS 6 has the SE option. Well I currently run a milltek catback on my S8 and I luv the sound-now for the $ I doubt it was worth it from a performance perspective(headers/cats need to be replaced)-but it sounds sick. I have the non resonated version. So instead of dropping $2k on a catback w/ bogus claims of huge HP/torque gains, cant I just remove the resonators and weld the space w/ identical diameter pipe? Seems like I can gain the throat by getting rid of resonators.....Thoughts suggestions? TIA
Stephen:race:

V8weight
September 30th, 2010, 18:44
I would personally leave the resonators in place and remove the mufflers and have a straight section of pipe welded in their place. JRS-RS6 has this done on his beast, and it sounds great.

speedtrapped
September 30th, 2010, 21:22
HMmm that is def the least costly, I might try franken muffler method, cut my mufflers, cut tips off, weld tips back on to straight pipes....Ty Pat

johnnie27
October 1st, 2010, 00:39
As some of u know, my RS 6 has the SE option. Well I currently run a milltek catback on my S8 and I luv the sound-now for the $ I doubt it was worth it from a performance perspective(headers/cats need to be replaced)-but it sounds sick. I have the non resonated version. So instead of dropping $2k on a catback w/ bogus claims of huge HP/torque gains, cant I just remove the resonators and weld the space w/ identical diameter pipe? Seems like I can gain the throat by getting rid of resonators.....Thoughts suggestions? TIA

i did a res delete, kept the x-over pipe and fitted remus mufflers...sound like thunder around 3000 prm, then like that thing that the kid in one of the last star wars movies drove in the desert race..a real gutteral roar, she is alos very quite done less at fwy speeds too...

Elevens
October 1st, 2010, 01:23
Milltek Non Res Catback, The Only Way To Go!! No claims of huge horse power, Just BRUTAL sound that makes you smile every time you start it up or hit the gas. In my opinion worth every dollar I spent on it......

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/Coilover%20Install/P1010240.jpg

JRS-RS6
October 1st, 2010, 01:45
Milltek Non Res Catback, The Only Way To Go!! No claims of huge horse power, Just BRUTAL sound that makes you smile every time you start it up or hit the gas. In my opinion worth every dollar I spent on it......

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/Coilover%20Install/P1010240.jpg

Got to admit that looks awesome!

speedtrapped
October 1st, 2010, 02:23
Elevens u had to do that to me, damn.... I luv my milltek in the S8, nasty sound...

Elevens
October 1st, 2010, 03:30
Elevens u had to do that to me, damn.... I luv my milltek in the S8, nasty sound...

Yea speedtrapped, I just believe in trying to do the right thing the first time. Did a lot of searching the forums over hear and in the UK and found the Milltek to be the System of choice, especially in the UK. And believe you me I don't regret it. The rumble is low and sweet at Idle and absolutely Roars at wide open throttle. The next step is to add Milltek Downpipes with High Flow cats or no cats, when I can afford it. Their just so damn expensive though, and then there's Labor on top of that. But as I said before I like to do things right the first time, so I'll just have to wait until my pocket say's OK.....

DHall1
October 1st, 2010, 03:40
The black Milltek non-res is the only after market cat back I would ever consider on my car.

How can anyone say no to that a$$ picture.

Dammit. LOL

Pat! We're going to gut my primary cats and install a Milltek cat back this winter. I have had it. I cant take it anymore.

V8weight
October 1st, 2010, 04:01
The black Milltek non-res is the only after market cat back I would ever consider on my car.

How can anyone say no to that a$$ picture.

Dammit. LOL

Pat! We're going to gut my primary cats and install a Milltek cat back this winter. I have had it. I cant take it anymore.
And install a wideband bung?

hahnmgh63
October 1st, 2010, 04:06
I like the narrow Bung's myself, but if you like the wide ones....To each his own. Couldn't resist on that one.

V8weight
October 1st, 2010, 04:08
I like the narrow Bung's myself, but if you like the wide ones....To each his own. Couldn't resist on that one.
I knew it was not a matter of if, but when that would come out as I was typing that. :)

speedtrapped
October 1st, 2010, 10:02
Elevens, where did u buy the milltek? I bought mime from stratmosphere but it looks like they don't carry rs6

speedtrapped
October 1st, 2010, 10:03
Sorry it's early, bought for the S8

speedtrapped
October 1st, 2010, 13:42
nevermind found it......I think 1st is to mod existing, cut off muffs, see how she sounds, if I dont like it then buy milltek...it is a great system

skribe
October 1st, 2010, 14:51
I really love the way my stock SE exhaust sounds, for me in my John Hughes neighborhood anything louder wouldn't fly anyway.
But damn I love those milltek tips, to me the stock tips look undersized for the rear valance. Does anybody sell the tips independently? The googler is failing me on that one.

speedtrapped
October 1st, 2010, 14:57
LOL....I live in a john hughes hood as well....but my neighbors already dont like me between my milltek S8 and my modded non cat 71' ford bronco w/ 3" exhaust into magnflows....when I can figure out how to download soundclip/video I will share

skribe
October 1st, 2010, 15:11
I have a little new beetle autocross car, 1.8t with a K04, GIAC tune, 3"dp, full cat delete and non-res exhaust, H&R cup kit, black powdercoated BBS wheels, sounds sort of like an unmuffled superbike or half a ferrari V8...

My neighbors call it the "ghetto beetle" :lovl:

DHall1
October 1st, 2010, 15:13
+1 someone find the Milltek tips for us please. I think they do sell them that way.

JSRS6
October 1st, 2010, 15:17
+2 That would be much more desirable after removing the mufflers, rather than replacing the original tips...

4everRS
October 1st, 2010, 15:44
+3 I will buy the milltek tips if they can be bought alone.

Edit: Found them. Now to email them to see if they can do matte black

http://www.millteksport.com/media.file.cfm?fileid=214

speedtrapped
October 1st, 2010, 15:47
+4 group buy!!

Born2be
October 1st, 2010, 15:56
+3 I will buy the milltek tips if they can be bought alone.

Edit: Found them. Now to email them to see if they can do matte black

http://www.millteksport.com/media.file.cfm?fileid=214

I called them about these several months ago...I seem to remember it was damn near cheaper to install a whole new exhaust system than just these tips...

W>

DHall1
October 1st, 2010, 16:09
I was afraid of that

skribe
October 1st, 2010, 16:25
Stand by... on the phone with Stratmosphere trying to set up a group buy for us.

We'll see how ridic the price is shortly...

[edit] They're checking prices. Waiting on an email back some time today. :pop:

DHall1
October 1st, 2010, 16:28
Better yet, get us a good price on the non-res cat back and I will buy it.

Hurry, my WLP is down 1.20 today and I'm short. I can spend like a drunken sailor

skribe
October 4th, 2010, 21:43
Here it is, boys. Greg at Stratmosphere offered up a deal for RS6.com members, and it looks pretty good.

Milltek Black Ceramic RS 6 tips for $249 shipped.

I just ordered a set. :dig:

Greg's contact is:

Greg Vavrick
Stratmosphere, Inc.

Sorry Erik, I hope this doesn't violate the rules of doing commerce!

DHall1
October 4th, 2010, 21:52
Skribe,

I dont care what Pat says about you....you're ok in my book.

Did you ask what the inlet size is on these tips? Do we need to modify the bumper opening to make these fit?

Here it is, boys. Greg at Stratmosphere offered up a deal for RS6.com members, and it looks pretty good.

Milltek Black Ceramic RS 6 tips for $249 shipped.

I just ordered a set. :dig:

Greg's contact is:

Greg Vavrick
Stratmosphere, Inc.

Sorry Erik, I hope this doesn't violate the rules of doing commerce!

skribe
October 4th, 2010, 22:30
Skribe,

Did you ask what the inlet size is on these tips? Do we need to modify the bumper opening to make these fit?

Bumper opening is fine.

Greg didn't have a stock RS 6 exhaust for reference, these tips are made to fit the Milltek system, he is checking into the OD of the Milltek system vs stock and said he would research it and include a small step down section if it was necessary... Mine should be here thursday, I'll update when I get them.

ben916
October 4th, 2010, 22:46
Skribe,

Skribe,

I don't care what Rupaul, Pat or Dave says, you are alright in my book....

johnnie27
October 4th, 2010, 23:53

http://www.rs6.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9481&d=1267398110 (http://www.rs6.com/album.php?albumid=46&attachmentid=9480)
custom fitted 4" stainless tips on remus mufflers , much nicer than chrome IMO ..but no good if you like black i guess

LIRS6
October 5th, 2010, 03:32

So what tips are these? - were they custom painted? Aren't the stock tips polished?

skribe
October 5th, 2010, 03:42
Skribe,

I don't care what Rupaul, Pat or Dave says, you are alright in my book....

RuPaul? Whatever (s)he told you about me it was a LIE. As an RS 6 owner you should know, you just can't trust a tranny. :hihi:

skribe
October 5th, 2010, 03:44
So what tips are these? - were they custom painted? Aren't the stock tips polished?

These are the black milltek tips.

Milltek tips can be black or polished.

SAF
October 5th, 2010, 03:49
I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread. SH!T

4everRS
October 5th, 2010, 14:47
ROFL :lovl: :applause:
RuPaul? Whatever (s)he told you about me it was a LIE. As an RS 6 owner you should know, you just can't trust a tranny. :hihi:

skribe
October 20th, 2010, 16:35
Update. Milltek tips on stock SE exhaust. Fitment was a PITA.

Step 1: Sawzall stock tips off leaving 3" stub.
Step 2: Realize Milltek tips are not going to fit stock mufflers at all.
Step 3: :vhmmm:
Step 4: Fab a short 2.75" OD section to shim around stock outlet pipe to fit bigger Milltek pipe.
Step 6: Grind welds on stock outlet pipe and persuade shim ring to fit.
Step 7: Fab a 1" longer cross-brace between pipes, as stock outlet locations are too narrow. I used a box-section piece of aluminum from the hardware store that is intended to be a cheap-ass towel rod for a shower stall. :hihi:
Step 8: Loosen slip joints, wriggle, tighten, eyeball, repeat.
Step 9: It actually worked. A lot easier to take them to a muffler shop I suppose and have them do it.

Changed the exhaust note at idle, the "puff-puff" sound that came from the resonated muffler exit pipe is gone. Which is a nice unforseen bonus.

Sorry for the crappy camfone pic and the failure to document the install.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz73/droogie5/rs6milltektip.jpg

speedtrapped
October 20th, 2010, 16:39
Looks great, and added bonus of throat clearing is worth it

4everRS
October 20th, 2010, 16:46
lmao on step 3. So, your saying that by changing just the tips, you've notice a change in sound?

Step 4: Fab a short 2.75" OD section to shim around stock outlet pipe to fit bigger Milltek pipe.
Step 7: Fab a 1" longer cross-brace between pipes, as stock outlet locations are too narrow. I used a box-section piece of aluminum from the hardware store that is intended to be a cheap-ass towel rod for a shower stall. :hihi:
Step 9: It actually worked. A lot easier to take them to a muffler shop I suppose and have them do it.

Changed the exhaust note at idle, the "puff-puff" sound that came from the resonated muffler exit pipe is gone. Which is a nice unforseen bonus.

skribe
October 20th, 2010, 17:16
lmao on step 3. So, your saying that by changing just the tips, you've notice a change in sound?

At idle. The stock SE exhaust, while sounding great under throttle IMHO, has a little air puff kind of second note at idle... it sounds a bit like a pinhole in a glass-pack muffler, I think it comes from the combo of the minor restriction of the thick rolled edge on the stock tip and the resonated pipe (the pipe full of small holes) that exits the muffler. That little puff-puff air sound disappeared with the Milltek tips, which obviously are much bigger and have a much thinner rolled edge. So now it's just the big bass rumble of the V8 at idle. So I got that going for me. Which is nice.

Don't think it did anything to the exhaust note under load, of course that's hard to tell from the cockpit.

DHall1
October 20th, 2010, 17:46
Step 1.1 Oh crap
Step 2.1 WTF am I going to do now?
Step 3.1 Oh crap I gotta run to Home Depot
Step 4.1 Who had this brilliant idea again?
Step 6.1 Get the bandaids for the grinder cuts in my finger. Then back to Home Depot for more crap.
Step 7.1 Sorry honey, I will buy a new shower rod on my next trip to Home Depot.
Step 9.1 Will someone please go get me a 12pack of beer.

Done. Sit down and look at my tips. Ahhhhh

skribe
October 21st, 2010, 17:50
Step 1.1 Oh crap
Step 2.1 WTF am I going to do now?
Step 3.1 Oh crap I gotta run to Home Depot
Step 4.1 Who had this brilliant idea again?
Step 6.1 Get the bandaids for the grinder cuts in my finger. Then back to Home Depot for more crap.
Step 7.1 Sorry honey, I will buy a new shower rod on my next trip to Home Depot.
Step 9.1 Will someone please go get me a 12pack of beer.

Done. Sit down and look at my tips. Ahhhhh

Haha. Plenty of interim steps for sure. Except I keep a hoarder's heap of bits and pieces on hand to avoid the Depot runs. Vindicated when I had a hot water pipe burst at 2 am last winter and had the copper section on hand to fix it.

And I always have a combo of free, store bought, and home-brewed beer in the fridge. Have a houblonmonstre belgian triple/IPA on its third fermentation right now. :cheers:

Glad I did this little mod. I hated the way the stock exhaust tips were half the size of the opening. The exhaust pipe version of wheel gap.

ben916
October 21st, 2010, 19:35
Can you get under there and get a photo of whatcha did?

skribe
October 22nd, 2010, 19:01
Will do, Ben. I'm away from car and buried in business for a couple weeks tho.