PDA

View Full Version : Ready to go Germany....

Chuangs4
September 21st, 2003, 03:58
I and my wife will go to Germany for a 6-days tour on late Sep.Here's is my plan:
Day 1: Arrive Frankfurt airport in early morning,go north to visit Oettinger first,then drive to Ingolstadt and visit Audi forum.
Day 2: Visit SGI tuning shop nearby the city, go north to visit MTM and Nubering,then go down south to Munich.
Day 3: Visit Sportec in Munich and drive to romantische strasse for sight seeing.
Day 4: Drive to Swiss if we have enough time,then live there for one night.
Day 5: Drive to Stuttgart and visit Porsche factory/musieum.
Day 6: Drive back to Frankfurt for city tour.
Day 7: On the way home to Taipei.

Can anybody show me if I miss something or some place?or if someone can make this plan more perfect?
The only place I can't make sure to visit is ABT because I still don't know where exactly it is and how to get there....

The SL350 we rent has navigation,but I guess we'll still spend much time in finding ways.

Any suggestion or recommandation would be very appreciated. :cheers:

Erik
September 21st, 2003, 09:15
The Porsche musuem is quite small. It took me about 30 minutes to see it all, and then I was not in a hurry.

The Mercedes-Benz museum which is close is fantastic!
I'd much rather go there.

In the Münich airport there is an Audi forum, but a Lambo forum as well. It's quite small, but if you have a reason to go to the airport don't miss it.

I guess you can find the address to Abt here:
http://www.abt-sportsline.com/start/index.php?sprache=e&flash=ok

Nordschleife
September 21st, 2003, 10:33
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chuangs4
I and my wife will go to Germany for a 6-days tour on late Sep.Here's is my plan:
Day 1: Arrive Frankfurt airport in early morning,go north to visit Oettinger first,then drive to Ingolstadt and visit Audi forum.

Well, on the way to Ingolstadt I would visit the Transport Museum at Sinsheim, beside the A6, even if this meant missing Oettinger. I would stay in the Cult Hotel in Ingolstadt
Day 2: Visit SGI tuning shop nearby the city, go north to visit MTM and Nubering,then go down south to Munich.
What is Nubering???? accomodation in Munich in late September will be difficult, its the Oktoberfest! You should visit the BMW museum and the Deutsches Museum (fantastic Science and Technology). Nothing to see at Sportec Munich, visit them in Zuerich. Die Alte Pinatothek is one of the world's great art galleries.
Day 3: Visit Sportec in Munich and drive to romantische strasse for sight seeing.
Allow plenty of time its crowded! Why don't you drop in on Ruf on the way?

Day 4: Drive to Swiss if we have enough time,then live there for one night.
Stay in Zuerich and visit Sportec.
Day 5: Drive to Stuttgart and visit Porsche factory/musieum.
Don't forget the Mercedes Museum.
Day 6: Drive back to Frankfurt for city tour.
Day 7: On the way home to Taipei.

Can anybody show me if I miss something or some place?or if someone can make this plan more perfect?
The only place I can't make sure to visit is ABT because I still don't know where exactly it is and how to get there....

The SL350 we rent has navigation,but I guess we'll still spend much time in finding ways.

Any suggestion or recommandation would be very appreciated. :cheers:

Abt is in Kempten, not far from the Romantische Strasse. To save wasting time, get instruction in the use of the Nav system before you leave Frankfurt.

HTH
R+C

Erik
September 21st, 2003, 11:19
Porsche and MB museums

http://homepage.mac.com/markcanderson/carpictures/PhotoAlbum6.html

Benman
September 22nd, 2003, 05:01
Chuang,

a trip to the Nurburgring and Neckarsulm (where the RS 6 is built) is also DEFINATELY worth a peek!:cheers:

Ben:addict:

Chuangs4
September 22nd, 2003, 14:39
Thanks Nordschleife for showing me more in details.
To benman:
Your idea is cool!but where is Neckarsulm?Is it located beside the way to Nurburgring?and how much fun can I find in Nurburgring?
Of course I have to thank to Eric.You are a very good guy!

Jimmy
:cheers:

Benman
September 22nd, 2003, 15:16
I'll try to find the directions tonight unless Nordscheife would care to do it for me:D :cheers:

Erik
September 22nd, 2003, 16:19
VERY briefly, Nürburgring is located about 2 hrs drive north (northwest?) of Frankfurt.

I guess you would (or could) pass Neckarsulm on your way south towards Münich from Frankfurt.
But you need to make an appointment before you go I think.

Nordschleife
September 22nd, 2003, 16:31
Jimmy
Neckarsulm is near Heilbronn, on the A6, not far from Sinsheim, and quite close to Stuttgart, Heidelberg and Frankfurt (and incidentally on the way to Nürnburg.)
Confusingly, the Nürburgring is nowhere near Nürnburg.
The Nürburgring is West of the Rhine in the Eifel mountains about 50 miles to the south-west of Bonn, Nürnburg is in Bayern, to the north of Munich and Ingolstadt, and a very pleasant city, without a permanent race circuit.
The 'ring, as its familiarly called, is not open every day and you may not be able to drive it, also its in the opposite direction to everywhere else you want to go, so you might not have time. Personally, I do not like driving on it in cars with standard suspension, brakes and tyres.
You may not feel like doing a lot of driving on your arrival day after a long flight. Remember you will be driving at speeds of up to 150MPH, in heavy traffic, this is quite stressful if you are not used to it.

HTH
R+C

Chuangs4
September 23rd, 2003, 05:01
Okay!After collecting your opinions,I revise my plan like this:
Day 1: Leave Frankfurt early and drive on A9 straightly to Ingolstadt.Visit Audi forum and plant then stay one night there.
Day 2.: Visit MTM and SGI,then drive to Munchen for city tour.Stay at there if I can make a reservation of hotel room.If not,drive back to Ingolstadt.
Day 3: Leave Munchen and arrive Augsburg on A8,then go down south to Romantische strasse.Visit there and stay at Fussen.
Day 4: Drive on A7 to visit ABT at Kempten,then turn south to Zurich.Stay at Bulach that night.
Day 5: Visit Sportec and begin to go north back to Germany. Reach Stuttgart by A81 and stay there for one night.
Day 6: Visit MB musieum and Quattro GmbH at Neckarsulm,then go back to Frankfurt via A6 and A5, and wish to visit Oettinger at Friedburg if there's still enough time.
Day 7: One the way home.

Dose it sound more reasonable and smooth?
Any advicement is still helpful.
:bow:

Nordschleife
September 23rd, 2003, 12:48
Jimmy
This looks much more managable.
If you haven't booked to visit quattro GmbH, then I would skip Neckarsulm and spend time at Sindsheim, its most interesting.

HTH
R+C

Chuangs4
September 24th, 2003, 13:11
Nordschleife,
Could you please tell me how to book to visit Quattro GmbH?I can't find any info on Audi forum web site!?

:confused:

Erik
September 24th, 2003, 14:31
Originally posted by Chuangs4
Nordschleife,
Could you please tell me how to book to visit Quattro GmbH?I can't find any info on Audi forum web site!?

I was told the best way is to book through your dealer.

Chuangs4
September 24th, 2003, 15:42
I was told the best way is to book through your dealer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yap I will check this up with the local dealer in Taipei tomorrow.:race:

carlos
December 7th, 2004, 00:58
Hi i need help from locals.
First i plan to visit germany the last week of dic. and the first of january(starting and ending in frankf. ) I have some ???
I plan of doing some part of chuang4 tour just without the wife, ( MB fanatic friend) Places that are important are inglost.forum, MB musuem, sportec, otter., mtm, movit and porsche etc.
1- First are roads icey or slippery ( not very experience ) coming from mexico is something you dont do everyday?
2- Are this companies closing just for holiday days ( 24&25 dic 31&1 jan) or all week from 24-1jan.?
3- Is navig. a must?
4- Other motrsport companies you can visit in the area?
Thanks alot any sugetions welcome

05 s4 silver (wifes)
04 rs6 sportec daytona
02 rs4 avus

JAXRS6
December 7th, 2004, 04:50
Originally posted by carlos
Are this companies closing just for holiday days ( 24&25 dic 31&1 jan) or all week from 24-1jan.?

I'm in the USA, Carlos, but as I waited for a part from Audi last December-January, I was told that the factory/HQ in Germany shut down for two weeks for the holidays. But I don't know exactly which two weeks it was, or what is happening this year, so it might be best to hear from someone who is actually over there. I replied now just so you would have something to start with.

Erik
December 7th, 2004, 11:22
Hi i need help from locals.
First i plan to visit germany the last week of dic. and the first of january(starting and ending in frankf. ) I have some ???
I plan of doing some part of chuang4 tour just without the wife, ( MB fanatic friend) Places that are important are inglost.forum, MB musuem, sportec, otter., mtm, movit and porsche etc.
1- First are roads icey or slippery ( not very experience ) coming from mexico is something you dont do everyday?
2- Are this companies closing just for holiday days ( 24&25 dic 31&1 jan) or all week from 24-1jan.?
3- Is navig. a must?
4- Other motrsport companies you can visit in the area?
Thanks alot any sugetions welcome

05 s4 silver (wifes)
04 rs6 sportec daytona
02 rs4 avus

I'm not a local, but perhaps I can help.

1) I wouldn't expect there to be snow or ice. Anyway your rental should have winter (friction) tires. Adjust your speed according to the weather ;)
Don't drive 300 km/h just because you can, drive safe!
2) Set up appointments before you go or you will be disappointed. I am very sure there will be limitations in the opening hours during that period. Many companies close down for Christmas/ New Year. Soagain, check before you go!
3) I would get navigation, unless your wife/friend is a very good map reader and you are very good friends. My wife is not, so I know...
4) I would visit RUF in Pfaffenhuasen. http://www.ruf-automobile.de
There's BMW M GmbH in Garching (Münich) but you need a special appointment to see anything. Not really recommened unless you're very interested in BMW. The BMW Museum in Münich is closed I think.
MTM and Hohenester are located in the surroundings of Ingolstadt.
In Stuttgart there's AMG Affalterbach (nice place), Gemballa and Techart.
Unless you visit the actual factory (again make an appointment) I can't recommend the Porsche museum unless you're really hardcore fan.

On your way to Sportec you can visit:
Auto Salon SINGEN http://www.auto-salon-singen.de/
http://www.rs6.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/526/password/
But be prepared, from AMG to Sportec via Singen (name of the town) and back it took one full day.

Also, read this for inspiration.
http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3983&highlight=autobahn

If I can be of anymore help let me know.

7:53 RS6
December 7th, 2004, 12:28
Carlos what ever you do do not miss to check out Nurburgring If you dont been there before. Check the webb on opening houers, if closed its even cool to see it. If open no matter what car you go around its fun and:MTM:. Its onley 150km from Frankfurth Han airport.

Its a legend and ho knows for how long It will bee open for tourist. No matter the area live on it. Peopel die at it and plenty big accident when tourist go around. The track run thru three small villages and will get the adrenalin pumping onley to see it.

grizzly
December 7th, 2004, 23:38
Hi,
some Infos from Munich.
at this days we have -4°C no snow.
Normally we have snow on late dec and january.
But German Autobahn is good prepared and when its not snowing, you get a chance :-)
But i really appreciate Winter Tires. you go to switzerland, and a lot roads are closed without winter equipment on board.
Some need "Snow chains" (is it called like this????) at all.
You get them cheap at ADAC (German car club) e.g. in Munich.

Be prepared. a lot companys have holidays until 6.Jan (this year really until Monday10.th.
So call everybody before....

Finnus
December 8th, 2004, 13:03
Jimmy,

Your wife must be a) a saint, b) a car fanatic like you or c) both!!! LOL

Finnus
:addict:

carlos
December 8th, 2004, 15:52
Thanks guys:i will def. going to nurbur. at least to visit. Dont think a rental is a good idea for the track. For what info i got the musuem and forums will be open in the holidays. I have sent emails to the other companies to check if they will be open. Also i reserv. the rental with navig.

If anyboby needs info , prices etc. fromm this comp. i will gladly get it. About my wife she is not going, but she is pretty cool about the cars also. Thanks

Benman
December 8th, 2004, 16:53
Thanks guys:i will def. going to nurbur. at least to visit. Dont think a rental is a good idea for the track.

Sould be fine, both times I went I used a rental. Had no problems.

fabianflach
December 8th, 2004, 19:40
Weather Forecast from Duesseldorf

4 C° - dry,.. perfect to test some cars! Give me a call if you around here,...

Fabian +49 172 822245

See ya...

eph94
December 8th, 2004, 21:11
Originally posted by Finnus
Jimmy,

Finnus
:addict:

I was thinking this same thing. Does your wife has a sister? :0: Oh wait, I'm already married to a Taiwanese woman, except after spending over seven years in the USA she has been corrupted by American women and their attitude. :doh:

That sounds like such a fun trip, but I don't think I could ever talk my wife into it. You are a lucky man!!

Benman
December 9th, 2004, 00:04
Originally posted by JJV-MA
I'm already married to a Taiwanese woman, except after spending over seven years in the USA she has been corrupted by American women and their attitude. :doh:

Ha ha:p Mine's from Mexico, I just try to keep her away from the white girls:D

rdpg_Oktane
December 9th, 2004, 01:15
It´s kinda off-topic, but if you have time and like history and cultural stuff, I´d tell you to visit de Dokuzentrum in Nurnberg, it´s a fantastic museum about nazy history, etc. Actually it´s right at used to be the main nazy "parade site".

I went there in january and garante that you will learn a lot about what you will see there.

Chuangs4
December 9th, 2004, 13:24
Originally posted by Finnus
Jimmy,

Finnus
:addict: She looks like a big "a".....lol~~~

A random stop in a small town to Zurich last year....My wife looked like a sweet angel beside the SL350....Oh yea she did not forget to have an Audi sport Teddy bear in arms...

http://www.rs6.com/gallery/data/518/391DSCN9987-med.JPG

:0:

Chuangs4
December 9th, 2004, 13:55
Originally posted by JJV-MA
I was thinking this same thing. Does your wife has a sister? :0: Oh wait, I'm already married to a Taiwanese woman, except after spending over seven years in the USA she has been corrupted by American women and their attitude. :doh:

That sounds like such a fun trip, but I don't think I could ever talk my wife into it. You are a lucky man!! JJV-MA,

Ha what a small world on net... Seven years would not be long enough to change a traditional Taiwanese woman... Dose she cook? dose she clean the room? dose she still trust on you just like those days you're in loving? If she dose, she must be still a lovely gril and wife......

Congrats you buddy!

PS: If you come back to Taiwan, please don't mind letting me know...

;)

nyrs6
December 9th, 2004, 14:04
chaungs4 do you have pics from that trip? :D

7:53 RS6
December 9th, 2004, 14:37
Originally posted by Benman
Sould be fine, both times I went I used a rental. Had no problems.

Agree.

You dont need god breakes and super suspension an a lot of Hp to go around.
If you have not been at the ring before, you will have plenty of exitment :MTM: in the average rental. Even if you are the big ring visitor, you can enjoy the rental.

Just think about it, the track are over 20km long and a hight diffrens of 300m lowest to highest point. And about 170 bends(could be wrong) but its plenty for sure.
:MTM:

Enjoy and uppdate us when home!:thumb:

Chuangs4
December 9th, 2004, 14:37
Originally posted by nyrs6
chaungs4 do you have pics from that trip? :D Yes I have lots of pics in my computer file...Which part do you like to see?

I visited Audi forum, Porsche museium, MB museium, MTM, Sportec, Oettinger, and ABT museium... That indeed was a very funny trip.

http://www.rs6.com/gallery/data/500/391DSCN0028-med.JPG

http://www.rs6.com/gallery/data/500/391DSCN9957-med.JPG

http://www.rs6.com/gallery/data/500/391DSCN9877-med.JPG

http://www.rs6.com/gallery/data/500/391DSCN0036-med.JPG

http://www.rs6.com/gallery/data/500/391DSCN0076-med.JPG

http://www.rs6.com/gallery/data/500/391DSCN9884-med.JPG

:bow:

carlos
December 9th, 2004, 15:24
He chuang eversince i saw your post i said i have to do that! So finally i got my tickets from the 26 of dic ( 14 days ).

What would you recomend and not. Im taking a good MB fanatic friend and probably my 9 year old girl ( so im stoping in europark). My plan change a little bit so i should go to paris my last 4 days. Chuang i will wait for you reply to organize my 9 day trip.

Chuangs4
December 9th, 2004, 16:29
He chuang eversince i saw your post i said i have to do that! So finally i got my tickets from the 26 of dic ( 14 days ).

What would you recomend and not. Im taking a good MB fanatic friend and probably my 9 year old girl ( so im stoping in europark). My plan change a little bit so i should go to paris my last 4 days. Chuang i will wait for you reply to organize my 9 day trip. Hey Carlos,

I agree with Eric totally. You must ask those shops in advance and should have NAV on your car. The NAV maps should include all the countries you're going to. This is optional for a rental car. Beside this, I have several additional comments for you:

1. Don't need to visit Oettinger except you want to buy some stuffs from them. There are some parts/accessories/wheels/body kits showing in the shop. Nothing special at all.
2. No need to visit MTM as well. The MTM company is large but the open space for customers is too small. You can't find something you're interesting except you ask them. Those MTM guys are cool and never let you visit their workshop. However, the company is located nearby Ingostadt. You can drive to there by the way while going to Audi forum if you have time.
3. I suggest you to stay in Munich for one night. The night of the city is very pretty. Surely you have to buy some drinks and beers there. That's fantastic!
4. ABT sportsline is a must go. There's a fancy DTM museium inside the company. You can know the whole history of ABT and Audi DTM racing. Of course you will see lots of DTM racing cars which you used to see them on TV.
5. Sportec AG is a friendly company. You may have a chance to visit their workshop, just like what I did. You may be also lucky to see some of their complete cars(like RS600 or RS310..). However, Everything in Zurich is very very expensive! My suggestion is that you can stay in Germany for the night and leave to Switzerland (Zurich) in the early morning. It will take you 4-5 hours to get to Sportec. It's not so far from Germany.
6. No need to visit MB musieum except your friend insists to do so. The museium is located inside the MB factory. You have to park your car first and take a bus to go there. Nothing special for us Audi fans.
7. Porsche factory is a little hard to find but it is worthy to go. They have the biggest show room in Germany. Although the museium is very small, you can feel the Porsche spirit everywhere!
8. If you have enough time, you can go north to Berline and Wolfspurg first to visit VW factory. I have never done that but my friends told me the trip would be funny too.
9. Be careful to drive on Autobahn. Those German drivers always drive as they used to be. Don't forget to stop and see around before you enter the main driveway. Though all the rental cars have insurence, you have to pay for the repair issue if you get the traffic accident. The cost must be far from your thought! Always remember to keep the car intact. The rental company will check the car very carefully while you return it.

Thus, my suggestion of your trip is:
Leave Frankfurt--> go north first to Berline and Worfspurg--> go back to sourth to visit Ingostadt and Munich--> go to visit ABT in Kampa--> go down sourth to visit Sportec in Swiss--> go north to enter Germany again and visit Porsche--> go to Quattro GmbH if you have booking--> go back to Frankfurt and leave Germany to France.

In sum, Germany is a very clean and beautiful country. You don't need to drive fast all the time. Find some places to stop and stay. Have a coffee and enjoy the feeling. If you can't find the way, don't be afraid to ask German people. They always look cool but they will always help you out. I promise you....

Jimmy

http://www.rs6.com/gallery/data/500/391DSCN9984-med.JPG

http://www.rs6.com/gallery/data/500/391DSCN9995-med.JPG

:incar:

Benman
December 9th, 2004, 17:10
Originally posted by Chuangs4
Hey Carlos,

In sum, Germany is a very clean and beautiful country. You don't need to drive fast all the time. Find some places to stop and stay. Have a coffee and enjoy the feeling. If you can't find the way, don't be afraid to ask German people. They always look cool but they will always help you out. I promise you....

Jimmy

Jimmy,

Well said. I found this to be exactly the case on both of my trips to Germany. Even those people who did not speak a lick of English (it is Germany after all) did their very best to help us. A very friendly country with road manners far above the U.S.

Enjoy your trip!