PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Bad Torque Converter for Rebuild

toddc
September 28th, 2010, 15:50
Hello All,
My RS6 will be going into the shop soon for replacement of the T/C. They would like to have the replacement T/C on hand before tearing into the car to minimize shop time. I'm looking at having Level 10 do the rebuild on the T/C. So, what I'm looking for is someone with a bad T/C that could drop ship it to Level 10 for rebuild. I would of course, pay for all costs incurred. Maybe we could make this the board "core" and circulate it around to those with a similar need? Basically any shop you want could do the rebuild. Let me know your thoughts.

-Todd

ben916
September 28th, 2010, 16:51
Welcome to the forum! (if no one has already stated that)

Got photos?
Can you update your location?

there has to be one of these floating around that could be used...

DHall1
September 28th, 2010, 17:00
You might try IPT. I think they have the converters ready to ship out and you send them the core in return.

Hello All,
My RS6 will be going into the shop soon for replacement of the T/C. They would like to have the replacement T/C on hand before tearing into the car to minimize shop time. I'm looking at having Level 10 do the rebuild on the T/C. So, what I'm looking for is someone with a bad T/C that could drop ship it to Level 10 for rebuild. I would of course, pay for all costs incurred. Maybe we could make this the board "core" and circulate it around to those with a similar need? Basically any shop you want could do the rebuild. Let me know your thoughts.

-Todd

toddc
September 28th, 2010, 17:18
I'll give IPT a call....I didn't realize they had units ready to ship out. From previous research, I've heard equal good and bad about both Level 10 and IPT, so I'm not really leaning toward one or the other, unless someone has some recent feedback?

-Todd

CornersWell
September 29th, 2010, 03:42
IPT or aceconverter.com

CW

toddc
September 29th, 2010, 19:47
Well, I've called IPT, Ace, and Level 10...no one has an off the shelf unit ready to ship, they all require a core in advance to build. In my search, I found these guys: http://gopnh.com/Automotive-Manufacturer.cfm?Manufacturer=Audi
They have 2 cores in stock ready to build. The basic rebuild cost is $312, but they do offer performace rebuilds. Has anyone heard of them or have experience with them?
After talking on the phone with Andre from Ace, I'm leaning toward having him do the work.
So, I'm still looking for a fried T/C to use as a core. Surely with as many failures as we've had, someone has a old T/C laying around?

-Todd

Jimmy
September 29th, 2010, 20:25
The bad TCs also can be found in A6 4.2s and 4.2 allroads with builds prior to sometime in 2004.....try those forums too....there are exponentially more of those cars around.

http://www.dynamicracingtrans.com/ these guys do the CT crowd well with the TC re-builds/upgrades...of little help to you though way up there. :vhmmm:

toddc
September 29th, 2010, 21:41
[QUOTE=Jimmy;197925]The bad TCs also can be found in A6 4.2s and 4.2 allroads with builds prior to sometime in 2004.....try those forums too....there are exponentially more of those cars around.

From my understanding the RS6 has a larger diameter(12") than the standard 4.2(11") T/C?

JSRS6
September 30th, 2010, 14:49
[QUOTE=Jimmy;197925]The bad TCs also can be found in A6 4.2s and 4.2 allroads with builds prior to sometime in 2004.....try those forums too....there are exponentially more of those cars around.

From my understanding the RS6 has a larger diameter(12") than the standard 4.2(11") T/C?

According to page 36 of the self study programme, the TC diameter was increased from 260mm to 280mm.

toddc
October 7th, 2010, 22:15
Still looking for a bad converter........I still we have a couple of cars in the process of TC/Tranny replacement.