PDA

View Full Version : Finally new lightweight chassis - new Range Rover

andreadebi
September 28th, 2010, 12:36
RXBG already anticipated us the info here:

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/19824-X5M-vs-Turbo-S-vs-Jeep-SRT8-vs-Range-Rover-sport?p=179790&viewfull=1#post179790

now new article about

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-cars/Search-Results/Spyshots/Range-Rover-2012-first-spy-photos-of-luxo-4x4/

What is the new technology due on the L405?

L405? That's the codename for the new 2012 Range Rover. The big news is the adoption of Jaguar-spec aluminium construction to shave the kilos despite a growth spurt that sees the Rangie stretch to 5m long in the interests of passenger space, notably for rear-seat occupants.

How much lighter could an aluminium Range Rover be? Today's model tips the scales at a podgy 2500kg and it's likely that half a tonne will be wiped from that thanks to the aluminium chassis, alloy bodyshell and even sparing use of composite materials in some areas of the platform.

Joker
September 28th, 2010, 15:25
The article mentions a 20% reduction in weight, that a potentially huge 500kg saving. It would definitely change the perception of the RRSport with it's 510hp engine as something that's nice but not that sporty, to the must have SUV with sporting intentions.

RXBG
September 28th, 2010, 17:39
The article mentions a 20% reduction in weight, that a potentially huge 500kg saving. It would definitely change the perception of the RRSport with it's 510hp engine as something that's nice but not that sporty, to the must have SUV with sporting intentions.

the current aim is for the range rover. the sport is rumored to have even more weight savings due to its "sport" designation. all RR's will go up in price considerably because they have a very strong following over the last 10 years. the new base RR will start at 100K. the next base sport at about 85K (5K more than a fully loaded supercharged one now). they will supposedly retain their off road prowess. if they can lose 500-800 lbs they really will have no peer in any performance category.

andreadebi
September 28th, 2010, 19:30
the current aim is for the range rover. the sport is rumored to have even more weight savings due to its "sport" designation. all RR's will go up in price considerably because they have a very strong following over the last 10 years. the new base RR will start at 100K. the next base sport at about 85K (5K more than a fully loaded supercharged one now). they will supposedly retain their off road prowess. if they can lose 500-800 lbs they really will have no peer in any performance category.

perfect move by land rover marketing. the new Evoque is perfect for strategical fitting in the land rover lineup and allow them to upgrade price&level of rrsport

Ruergard
September 28th, 2010, 20:47
I like this.

Joker
September 29th, 2010, 15:43

I don't know from whom or from where you got those estimates of price increases but there is no f'ing way that they will increase in price by as much as 20%+. Price will either remain the same or the more likely outcome will be that the price will increase ever so slightly but with it you will gain more standard kit. It's economical suicide to make such a price hike on a new model, none of the other do it when replacing a model, or at least not to that extent.

andreadebi
September 29th, 2010, 19:23
I don't know from whom or from where you got those estimates of price increases but there is no f'ing way that they will increase in price by as much as 20%+. Price will either remain the same or the more likely outcome will be that the price will increase ever so slightly but with it you will gain more standard kit. It's economical suicide to make such a price hike on a new model, none of the other do it when replacing a model, or at least not to that extent.

Ferrari did the same thing with california and 458. new "base" ferrari to place above the 458

Fab
September 29th, 2010, 20:01
This is good news news indeed but this will certainly be more and more what all car makers will do.

RXBG
September 29th, 2010, 20:07

that is what i thought. but in the US most RR's are LUX models, non-supercharged, but with the rear video screens and logic sound system. and those cost 89K. in fact, you have to special order a car without them. by 2014 such a car will cost over 90K easily. make these things standard in the car and increase the cost by 5-7K and it is more like a 7-10% increase. a current base supercharged costs 96K.

Benman
September 29th, 2010, 22:15
I remember that post and remember replying that I doubt the gains would be better than around 150kg... if I am wrong and RXBG is proven correct (450kg+), I will happily eat a crow pie. Kudos to LR.

:cheers:

Ben

quattrogeek
October 10th, 2010, 07:56
Never ever buy a RR new...i did and i can honestly say i will never do it again. The depreciation hit has knockout power! This time i will wait till the first or second year run has passed. Don't get me wrong, lots of rr owners won't care about the depreciation, but some of us do, and frankly its a damn shame that such a nice vehicle gets absolutely slaughtered on re-sale. I paid 120k new for mine, and now its worth 30k 5 years later.

skribe
October 10th, 2010, 15:05
Never ever buy a RR new...i did and i can honestly say i will never do it again. The depreciation hit has knockout power! This time i will wait till the first or second year run has passed. Don't get me wrong, lots of rr owners won't care about the depreciation, but some of us do, and frankly its a damn shame that such a nice vehicle gets absolutely slaughtered on re-sale. I paid 120k new for mine, and now its worth 30k 5 years later.

What did you think would happen? Rovers are notorious depreciation rocket sleds. My HSE was worth 20k less the second I rolled off the lot. That couldn't be more obvious if $100 bills were falling out the tailpipe.

RXBG
October 11th, 2010, 00:50

exactly the reason they allow accelerated depreciation for tax purposes here in the US. that and the fact that they offer killer deals on them in the fall was the reason we got ours. i kind of lost some of that gain when we traded our first one in for the updated 2010 model, but mathematically it came out to being a great deal anyway. i think over 75% of LR's are leased anyway (then again i think most cars over 50K are leased nowadays).