PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic steering on RS5

Bobbersmill
September 27th, 2010, 19:55
Anyone know what the deal is on the RS5 with this. I test drove one with it on and it felt pretty playstation ish, as if there was no mechanical link to front wheels.

youry
September 27th, 2010, 21:24
I drove with it on SPA race track and thought it was efficient.

Bobbersmill
September 28th, 2010, 08:41
I drove with it on SPA race track and thought it was efficient.

The Ford Fiesta I am renting untill my new car arrives is effecient but I dont enjoy driving it!
If I were paying 67k for a car and ordered the dynamic steering I would want it to feel as described, dynamic!

Joker
September 28th, 2010, 11:51
The Ford Fiesta I am renting untill my new car arrives is effecient but I dont enjoy driving it!
If I were paying 67k for a car and ordered the dynamic steering I would want it to feel as described, dynamic!

May I ask what kind of car have you ordered?

Bobbersmill
September 28th, 2010, 12:00
May I ask what kind of car have you ordered?

I have a C63 AMG with performance pack comming at the end of November.

Joker
September 28th, 2010, 12:06
I have a C63 AMG with performance pack comming at the end of November.

Nice car. Plenty quick enough that is for sure. Were you considering the RS5 or possibly the M3 at the time or had you always a desire to own the mighty AMG?

The reason I ask is that I also love the look of them, very understated but don't quite fancy the interior, don't know for why. But Kudos for your choice. :cheers:

Bobbersmill
September 28th, 2010, 13:12
Nice car. Plenty quick enough that is for sure. Were you considering the RS5 or possibly the M3 at the time or had you always a desire to own the mighty AMG?

The reason I ask is that I also love the look of them, very understated but don't quite fancy the interior, don't know for why. But Kudos for your choice. :cheers:

Just got rid of gen 2 C4s as it became a chore with our 1 yr old (fantastic car). I originally had one on order before I bought the 911 but it was just taking too long to come out. I then looked at M3s but they just didnt float my boat. I hadnt even considered a C63, mainly because its a little too understated, I then saw some very good PCP rates and took it further and then had a test drive. I really hated the dash as it looks like one from an Astra but strangely all the switchgear felt really nice as do the seats, I could also get a really good driving position as the steering wheel can come quite a way back, a bit touring car like.
The car I have ordered has the performance pack which adds an extra 30bhp and quite frankly the kick down from any speed is pretty brutal made more so by the ridiculous noise. The RS5 I drove just felt a little dull in comparison, no sense of occassion as in the C63. I do like the RS5 and would have one but I am not sure I would get the same grin as in the C63 as its more a GT car and technophobes wet dream. The C63 is such a sleeper as no one really knows what one is.
It also comes down to cost and although both in my chosen spec list very similar in price after discount the AMG is a no brainer.

Joker
September 28th, 2010, 15:05
Just got rid of gen 2 C4s as it became a chore with our 1 yr old (fantastic car). I originally had one on order before I bought the 911 but it was just taking too long to come out. I then looked at M3s but they just didnt float my boat. I hadnt even considered a C63, mainly because its a little too understated, I then saw some very good PCP rates and took it further and then had a test drive. I really hated the dash as it looks like one from an Astra but strangely all the switchgear felt really nice as do the seats, I could also get a really good driving position as the steering wheel can come quite a way back, a bit touring car like.
The car I have ordered has the performance pack which adds an extra 30bhp and quite frankly the kick down from any speed is pretty brutal made more so by the ridiculous noise. The RS5 I drove just felt a little dull in comparison, no sense of occassion as in the C63. I do like the RS5 and would have one but I am not sure I would get the same grin as in the C63 as its more a GT car and technophobes wet dream. The C63 is such a sleeper as no one really knows what one is.
It also comes down to cost and although both in my chosen spec list very similar in price after discount the AMG is a no brainer.

You're are right about those seats, they are beautiful to look at, as is the steering wheel which feels great in your hands, apart from the buttons at the rear, proper metal paddels was be much nicer don't you think. I also get your drift about why the C63 is a more exciting experience than the RS5 you also drove, I suppose 490hp going to only one pair of wheels while give this sensation of living of a knife's edge with only your wits and skill keeping you on the black stuff, but how will this amount of power perform in the wet :vhmmm:, I guess this amount of fun has to come with certain compromises. The RS5 can't hope to compete with that kind of drama, will it you floor the throttle and it simply goes without fuss but surely there is a kind of pleasure and smugness in the knowledge that you can use all the available power at your deposal if and when you want to without having to second guess if the chassis can cope, no other of it's closest rivals can make such a claim. Oh well I suppose it's different strokes for different folke.

Anyway nice talking to you and happy motoring when your beast finally appears. :thumb:

Bobbersmill
September 28th, 2010, 17:00
You're are right about those seats, they are beautiful to look at, as is the steering wheel which feels great in your hands, apart from the buttons at the rear, proper metal paddels was be much nicer don't you think. I also get your drift about why the C63 is a more exciting experience than the RS5 you also drove, I suppose 490hp going to only one pair of wheels while give this sensation of living of a knife's edge with only your wits and skill keeping you on the black stuff, but how will this amount of power perform in the wet :vhmmm:, I guess this amount of fun has to come with certain compromises. The RS5 can't hope to compete with that kind of drama, will it you floor the throttle and it simply goes without fuss but surely there is a kind of pleasure and smugness in the knowledge that you can use all the available power at your deposal if and when you want to without having to second guess if the chassis can cope, no other of it's closest rivals can make such a claim. Oh well I suppose it's different strokes for different folke.

Anyway nice talking to you and happy motoring when your beast finally appears. :thumb:

I have opted for the LSD too so should hopefully make it a bit more controllable in difficult conditions. But I have no doubt it will be a handful when pressing on. I am not going to be driving it like a loon and it wont be tracked. My only real concern is in the snow and ice where I am sure it will be undriveable but luckily we have an X5 with a spare set of snow tyres so we have our bases covered.

Joker
September 28th, 2010, 17:23
I have opted for the LSD too so should hopefully make it a bit more controllable in difficult conditions. But I have no doubt it will be a handful when pressing on. I am not going to be driving it like a loon and it wont be tracked. My only real concern is in the snow and ice where I am sure it will be undriveable but luckily we have an X5 with a spare set of snow tyres so we have our bases covered.

One thing the diff will do is make those drifts all the more spectacular. :hihi: But you are a wish man having something else to fall back on if conditions get real bad and the X5 is another classy ride.

Fab
September 29th, 2010, 19:56
Great choice man. If I did not go for the Porsche the C63 would have been my choice : fantastic car : torque noise exclusive.

Looking fwd to your feedback upon delivery.

Bobbersmill
September 29th, 2010, 21:19
Great choice man. If I did not go for the Porsche the C63 would have been my choice : fantastic car : torque noise exclusive.

Looking fwd to your feedback upon delivery.
Thanks. Would sooner have kept the 911 but once our lad is out of pushchairs I will hopefully make the shift back. Hows the C4S going?

Fab
September 30th, 2010, 08:40
No better option for this transition period enjoy !

C4s is giving me full satisfaction. Love it and will probably stick to the brand for a looong time. Curious to see next 998 gen and switch in a couple of years. But this fwd looking. Currently I m enjoying my new toy and what a toy !

Cheers